Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I can't play songs listed as Explicit on a playlist

Solved!

I can't play songs listed as Explicit on a playlist

I received this cool playlist made for the character Omar in The Wire: https://play.spotify.com/user/vulture_radio/playlist/4yIpnuZX8cgS5qy8fsLQSv

However, it contains songs marked "Explicit" that I cannot play for some reason - is there a setting in my profile I have to change? I've searched through the settings but could not find anything...:(

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Chris

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

For tracks that won't play, are you able to play other tracks in the same album (especially important if there are non-explicit songs in it).

It sounds like those particular tracks aren't available in your current location (as annoying as that is). Are you getting any error messages when trying to play the affected tracks?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Ooops - wrong guess 🙂 

Are you using the web player? I see two greyed out Jay-Z tracks in the web player - You Must Love Me and Oh my God. If I switch to the desktop client, only Oh my God is greyed out and, if I try to play it, comes up as not available in the UK. You Must Love me plays fine though in the client.

Are you having trouble playing any other tracks in that playlist?

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Hi, and welcome to the community!

What OS/Spotify version are you running?

Firstly, probably worth trying a quick Clean reinstallation of Spotify.

If it persists, could you let me know what error you are getting? Always the best indicator of the issue!

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Hi Anthony,

I'm just using my Safari browser, Mac OSX 10.7.5

Chris

Hi. I think that if your age is below 18 in your facebook/spotify profile, explicit tracks won't play for you. You can usually find non-explicit versions though.

LOL, thx Joe, I'm closer to 50, and in Europe, pretty sure that isn't the problem ;). I don't have any limitations on FB. The weird thing is that some will play and some won't..maybe there are different levels of explicit labelling? 

Marked as solution

For tracks that won't play, are you able to play other tracks in the same album (especially important if there are non-explicit songs in it).

It sounds like those particular tracks aren't available in your current location (as annoying as that is). Are you getting any error messages when trying to play the affected tracks?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.
Marked as solution

Ooops - wrong guess 🙂 

Are you using the web player? I see two greyed out Jay-Z tracks in the web player - You Must Love Me and Oh my God. If I switch to the desktop client, only Oh my God is greyed out and, if I try to play it, comes up as not available in the UK. You Must Love me plays fine though in the client.

Are you having trouble playing any other tracks in that playlist?

OK, that seems to be the problem, I was not aware of the territorial limitations, or maybe just expected they wouldn't be visible if they were unavailable to me - sorry, newbie mistake. Thanks for the help all!

Hey, no problem at all. You can hide unplayabe tracks in the desktop client but not in the web player. I like to see what I'm missing though 🙂

Can't play [some] explicit songs, I could play them yesterday but eversince I hit ''sign up with facebook' on the webplayer at my girlfriends house (while my facebook was logged on) it won't let me play the explicit songs that I once did. I am also 18 so this has no reason to be a problem...

i have the same problem and the explicit song won't play on my phone or laptop, no errors are shown on my phone however on my laptop it says "this song is not avaliable, if you have the file on your computer you can import it"?

for phone: Your library > Settings (upper right corner) > Explicit Content > turn on

Like toobeyfuse said - but if you already have it on you need to turn off and on again. Then it authenticate you again for explicit content.  - works. 

If turning off "allow explicit content" doesn't work, even if you do it several times like I did, exit out of spotify, then click on the app again. This being said it worked with my laptop; I don't know how it will work on a phone, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Hello everyone, I have the same issue that's been going for a while. I tried all the possible solutions and I still have some words that are muted. For an exanple, I'm listening to The Marshall Mathers LP and in the first song "Kill you" its as if the song was with explicit content blocked. I'm really disappointed cause I think there is nothing worse than to listen to music with parts silenced. Anyways, it's like if I had to have the album "explicit" version on spotify but there isn't one and the explicit content is on and it's still not sounding like music an aldut pays for to listen to. I'd be extremely happy to have this problem solved. Finally, as I'm finishing this messahe, I'm listening to The Way I Am and I have words that are cut out. Thats really really annoying. 

Suggested posts