Announcements

I've Created a FREE CSV Playlist Import Tool

I've Created a FREE CSV Playlist Import Tool

Regular

http://nickwanders.com/projects/ng-spotify-importer/

Its my first attempt at both Angular and using Spotify's APIs. So its probably buggy. It also desperately needs UI / UX work. A link is provided to my public GitHub repo if you'd like to contribute, or even log bugs 🙂

I've tested the tool with 250+ songs and its able to import them in roughly 30 seconds. I suspect it will work with larger playlists. However, I'm not entirely sure what will happen since most processing is done in memory (in the browser). Also, I've only used Chrome, so please let me know how it runs on other browsers.

Last but not least, the tool requires that you grant it the ability to modify / create public playlists for your account ("playlist-modify-public" scope, for the techie folk).

Enjoy and ride those electro waves!

10 Replies

Re: I've Created a FREE CSV Playlist Import Tool

Composer

Hey nick_wanders,

Awesome Work.. Nailed It.. 

Regards,

Rahul Haldar - Diehard & Loyal Fan Of Music & Spotify

Regular
Thanks for the support 🙂
Be on the lookout for updates to the tool!

Composer
Hi nick_wanders ,

Sure Mate.. I Will.. And You Are Always Welcome..

Regards,

Rahul Haldar - Diehard & Loyal Fan Of Spotify

Regular

I've updated the tool to include a "more" button. When clicked a dialog will appear allowing you to search for related songs. Clicking a related song replaces it in the displayed playlist. The import process will then use the related song.

This helps resolve unknown or mismatched songs.

Enjoy 🙂

Regular
Another update 🙂

Now when you grant access to your Spotify account (again only to create / modify public playlists) the tool will refresh its access in the background. Effectively allowing you to import and modify playlists for as long as you like. The previous version would time out after 1 hour. This is helpful for those that have numerous playlists, or those that need to make time consuming adjustments prior to importing.

The update does require that you to grant access to Spotify each time you load the tool.

Let me know what you think.

Casual Listener
Nice. I just did a test using a Billboard Top 100 list. Had to adjust maybe a dozen titles or artists, but it was WAY easier than doing it manually.

There are some issues

Casual Listener

Hi I've tried to upload a list but it seems to just not like some of the language in it. I tested it with some artists and it would let the csv import only if some of the artist was deleted etc.  Although the idea is awesome, there seems to be a mystery as to what it likes and doesn't like. Could you please shed some light on that? 

Cheers 🙂 

Ive worked out the format

Casual Listener

I sadly copied and pasted a list of 7k songs off the internet and it didn't work at all. I made some fixes to the format so I thought I would share it. 

so if you find yourself nin a bind make sure the following are being met. 

1. You have named two top cells title and artist

2. remove accent marks -unless you know macro there is no easy way to do it just find and replace. (Excel doesn't save CSV files without them unfortunately) - these are "(á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ ..." - band names like motley crue have them in there. 

2a. Fina and replace with nothing. make sure there are no punctuation marks, like ! or . or ' or anything like that. 

3. there are no trail spaces in the title or artist (The space after the last letter), if you find yourself with them - run this code =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(*CELL*,CHAR(160),CHAR(32))) - *CELL* i.e B3 or A2 is the target cell. This removes the trailing space that is formed when coping and pasting from a table on the net.

if it still says invalid, start with testing line by line, you will soon see what it likes or doesn't like. 

Once its loaded, it wont find any artists that have 'featuring' or 'and' or 'ft'... so you have to remove everything including and after those works- excel has some excellent formulas for this back on your s/sheet.  (Sorry if you are a hip hop fan)

try this: and put the words inside the " " marks

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

*disclaimer you will have to rin the trail space formula again after you are done. 

Visitor

Hey man, this is bad ass.

I thought I was pretty scre*ed when GPM finally went offline. I managed to grab my data and put together a script to merge Google's ridiculous CSV format into a single file per playlist, but I couldn't do anything with it because none of the services out there supported any kind of local file import. I waited too long to work on this problem and it was too late to use the transfer tool I had.

I was basically scre*ed till I came across your tool. I managed to import 700+ songs and only 100 of them failed due to weirdo naming formats and unusual characters, but the way you have an option to change the search parameters in a popup and refine the query, *and* hear a preview is awesome.

I think I got my whole favs playlist sorted thanks to your tool.

I owe you a beer.

SUGGESTED POSTS