Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I've Created a FREE CSV Playlist Import Tool

I've Created a FREE CSV Playlist Import Tool

http://nickwanders.com/projects/ng-spotify-importer/

Its my first attempt at both Angular and using Spotify's APIs. So its probably buggy. It also desperately needs UI / UX work. A link is provided to my public GitHub repo if you'd like to contribute, or even log bugs 🙂

I've tested the tool with 250+ songs and its able to import them in roughly 30 seconds. I suspect it will work with larger playlists. However, I'm not entirely sure what will happen since most processing is done in memory (in the browser). Also, I've only used Chrome, so please let me know how it runs on other browsers.

Last but not least, the tool requires that you grant it the ability to modify / create public playlists for your account ("playlist-modify-public" scope, for the techie folk).

Enjoy and ride those electro waves!

54 Replies

Almost 2 years later and I see that people are still using this tool. That makes me 🙂

So I figured some updates are due:

I've pushed a new version (1.4.0), as a preview to a staging environment:

https://stg.nickwanders.com/projects/ng-spotify-importer/

Please know that as a preview it is subject to change and could be buggy. More buggy than this side project already is 😉

I'll push this new version to production if people find the new "Clean Unknown Songs" feature useful. Feedback is welcome.

Summary of Changes

🐣 New Experimental Feature - Clean Unknown Songs
Polish - Minor UI Adjustments
💫 Updates - Angular v13
💫 Updates - Project Dependencies
🤖 Automation - End-to-end Testing Enhancements
🤖 Automation - Deployment Script Fixes

For more details see the diff between 1.4.0 and 1.3.0 (previous version).

Not working for me either 😞

My most recent test file is a csv with only 2 rows. One with column header of TITLE and ARTIST (with the caps), and one row of one song, no punctuation, no trailing spaces, with the data populated for those two columns.

What am I doing wrong?

If the data contains any special characters / unicode try removing them.

Better yet, try the pre-release version 1.4.0: https://stg.nickwanders.com/projects/ng-spotify-importer/

Hello, I have tried v1.4 and it never stops loading, although all tracks are found, the status stays "Playlist Loading Progress:", but the progress bar is full, so I guess it's something about the end of the process? Here's the text I tried to import: https://justpaste.it/8bz6w

Thanks for any help!

PS: It's the same with v1.3..

---------------------------------FIX HERE---------------------------------

I believe I've tracked down the issue. Excel saves CSV files with a few extra bytes "Byte Order Mark" BOM, see the screenshot.

nxxr_0-1658536302406.png

The file created with Excel doesn't work, the one created from "new text document or via Notepad does work
Opening each file in a hex editor shows the problem, see attached screenshot, the file on the right works, the file on the left does not work.

You can "fix" your existing csv file, just rightclick in explorer > create new text file > rename the .txt to .csv > copy over any csv data in to this new file.
It looks like you can edit this new file in excel without it adding the BOM, for your own sanity you can view this for certain in any hex editor

To the dev this should be fairly easy to patch, just search the first few bytes for a BOM character and skip it if present

Edit: Couple of things that break the importer, i think some of these are covered:
Special characters

artist/title names that are too long

image.png

I made a small powershell script that will scrape your mp3 folders to a csv file, i tested it and it works with the importer

https://github.com/Johnsn0w/title_artist_csv_exporter/releases/tag/csv-exporter-for-ng-importer

Defaults to the current folder if you don't enter a folder at the prompts. So you can drop it in the folder you want the csv file of, or you can enter your target folders.

Not very fancy but does the job, does not do subfolders. May add to it later on.

Works fine, but I've now 230song playlist, which didnt give any error when loading the CSV file, found all songs. The playlist loading process is full (the blue bar is full mean) but it will not show the possibility to import the playlist to spotify. Kind of freezes there. Any idea what should be done?

I've had 2 accounts disabled...one after using the tool here(worked well though), the other using Soundiiz. Fortunately I was testing using free accounts(I do have a family account). Does anyone know what triggers this? Is it because I was using a free account? The email informing me I had possibly breached The Terms and Conditions of Use gave no specific information.

Thank you for making this application. Unfortunately the Import button is not appearing after the playlist is ready. Is this an issue with my Chrome instance or the application? Thanks

Worked great. Loved being able to individually re-search for songs that didn't come through the first time. Excellent work.

Update: Using this brilliant tool I successfully managed to create playlists for my music collection of >3000 tracks. I used a few account and shared the playlists with my paid account…just in case.

Thanks Nick for all your work making the tool and sharing it.

Excellent tool. It worked like a charm. I used it to get all "My Shazam Tracks" back into Spotify. Spotify can drop all your older Shazam Tracks which seems to happen to a lot of people.  So I exported a CSV of my tracks from the Shazam website and used Nick's tool to get everything back inside Spotify. You import them into the "My Shazam Tracks" folder but once imported you can copy them in to that folder. Copying on the browser based version of spotify is painful (you can only move one at a time). A fast way around that is grab your phone and go to your freshly imported playlist, click on the three vertical dots, then you will see you have the option to copy the existing playlist to another playlist. Presto. Copied them all back into the "My Shazam Tracks" folder.  

Thanks Nik 😊

Mate sorry for the late Reply, and sorry for the terrible punctuation and misspelt words. 

I have promoted your tool where I can.... like anything, we can't expect you to fix everything, and while there is seemingly unlimited language formats, I don't think you could ever fix "every" little anomoly, . which is why we should all have a hand in helping you with what we know.. 

Didn't work for me, no songs recognised. https://www.tunemymusic.com/ worked a treat though (it's free, no I don't work for them!)

I would love this to work. I've made a csv file (tool called Mp3tag Portable), cleaned it to have two collumns, scanned with your app and it made a list ... but

none of the tracks has been found. For example trying this one:

Title: Que Sera
Artist: Wax Tailor

I'm getting: unknown song
What should I do?

nice work! I was able to export a dj setlist csv from serato DJ, just changed "name" to "title" in the header row and boom! TYSM

Huge thanks, mate!

Worked like a charm with version 1.3. The newer 1.4 would never show the import button.

I found this little js very usefull to generate the cvs playlist from Deezer: https://github.com/Zeex/deezer-export/blob/master/deezer-export.js

Keep up the good work!

Respect! it saved me few days! 🙂 thanks!

Awesome tool, Nick!

Wishlist: a tool for replacing missing songs in playlists (when they're grayed out due to licensing issues). E.g. export list of songs from a playlist, then use your tool to re-import the same songs (but with new song ID's).

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 09.14.07.png

I'm running it right now. You might want to say that the csv should have only 2 columns Title, Artist, perhaps in that order, maybe they have to be first if there's more columns, but with my shazam download to csv it had other identifying columns and the process wouldn't start, but gave no indication anything was wrong, or happening. (fellow ETL/Programmer here, retired!). Anyway, I decided to strip my file to the 2 columns and it's loading now. I have over 1500 songs and it imported pretty much all of them, except some unrecognized songs. I like the way it displays as it loads. Great job! Thanks. Here's my future enhancement wishlist.... I'd like to download the list of unrecognized songs so I can manually add them. I also would add a flag on each song, imported status. 

Suggested posts