Import iTunes Playlists From External Hard Drive

Solved!
Highlighted

Import iTunes Playlists From External Hard Drive

Casual Listener

This seems so simple, but I've been stumped.  My iTunes library is on an external hard drive, but when I try to import a playlist from the file menu, the only option is from iTunes, but that iTunes library is now on my external hard drive.  How do I dedicate my external hard drive as THE place to import from?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: Import iTunes Playlists From External Hard Drive

Casual Listener
Thanks, you are correct. However, I found a work-around that seems to have solved the issue. I simply create a new playlist in Spotify, name it the same as a playlist I have in iTunes, and then I drag the iTunes playlist into the newly created Spotify playlist. Not sure why that works from my external drive, but the import from iTunes function doesn't.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Solution!

Community Legend
My guess is the drag and drop is giving Spotify the proper location of the tracks, whilst the import function is only set up to scan one folder - which in your case doesn't contain your library.

Glad you got it working!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

4 Replies
Highlighted

Community Legend

Importing a playlist isn't the same as importing the tracks. If you want to import tracks into spotify, go to spotify/preferences and add the location where your music is stored. You may need to restart spotify but all the music will show up under "Local files".

Highlighted

Community Legend
As far as I know, the Spotify iTunes import only works if it detects your iTunes folder in your home directory.

Peter

Highlighted
Solution!

Casual Listener
Thanks, you are correct. However, I found a work-around that seems to have solved the issue. I simply create a new playlist in Spotify, name it the same as a playlist I have in iTunes, and then I drag the iTunes playlist into the newly created Spotify playlist. Not sure why that works from my external drive, but the import from iTunes function doesn't.

Highlighted
Solution!

Community Legend
My guess is the drag and drop is giving Spotify the proper location of the tracks, whilst the import function is only set up to scan one folder - which in your case doesn't contain your library.

Glad you got it working!

Peter

SUGGESTED POSTS