Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

In solidarity: Black Lives Matter

In solidarity: Black Lives Matter

Hello, 

I want to remove category mentioned in title from the main screen of my Spotify app. How to do that? I do not want to take a part in any political fights, terrorist organizations or be anyhow connected to them by anyone (especially music app that I am using). Please post step by step solution how to remove/hide that category from my main screen, otherwise I will cancel all my subscriptions till end of the day. 

290 Replies

Because it's a non sequitur. It follows an identitarian narrative that is incredibly divisive and weights certain racial lives over the other. In its attempt to reject racism, it has embraced it.

Alright it looks like BackOffWithPolitics is the tag. Maybe get it trending on other platforms so Spotify knows we do not want yet another political platform. I hope Spotify resolves this issue and gives us steps on how to opt out of future political propaganda. Just the tunes, man. And then maybe tunes I would maybe like in a million years to boot? Just the tunes, kthxbi. 

Not a protest when businesses are being burnt to the ground and looters running riot. Police too afraid to arrest for fear of being branded bigots. BLM is just another form of intolerance that fights hate with hate. It is not the answer. 

I am a premium user and I do not want Spotify to involve in the current politics. Left/Right. Does not matter. So get rid of the Black Life Matters from the main page. Also there are songs like **bleep** the Police and Niggers vs Police. Are you sure this is what you want to be part of and why do you think that you can involve me in all of this?

The one who accuses naturally has the burden of proof. So if you accuse Spotify of making political statements, I wonder why. How is "Black lives matter" a political statement?

I'd like to add my voice to those who don't want to see political content pushed on their music streaming service. This is in especially poor taste when parts of America are being looted and burned. Forcing BLM playlists onto users, one with a symbol of a raised fist, is not helping the situation and could be considered incitement to violence.

I just want to listen to music and if this continues I will take my subscription elsewhere.

@confetti I totally agree with all of what you're saying. Just how is this related to Spotify? Are they promoting super spreading events?

Spotify is a music streaming service. I do not want Spotify to push playlists that do not overlap with my musical tastes into my feed at all. I do not support the BLM movement and Spotify carries no mandate to speak on my behalf in support of BLM or any other political movement. Get it out of my feed, along with any other whimsical detours into political discussions, or I will cancel my subscription.

@FreedomForAll I assume you're writing about the organisation, not the statement. The organisation is against violence and hate, just the opposite of KKK and AQ. Why does one row of music suggestions, bother you so much? I personally want no suggestions at all that I don't care about, they are annoying, but they don't make me angry. What makes you angry about these particular suggestions? 

I asked a few times in this thread already but got no answer: Where are the politics? Is the question whether lives matter or not just a matter of personal opinions to you? In my opinion that'd be rather sad.

Spotify, you'd better turn that BLM stuff off. I want to have nothing to do with this. I'm going to cancel my subscription. 

@tomdell1 That's a bold claim. Anything to back it up?

Absolutely support this.

Great for people to push their message to the world with music or something. But I really don't give a flying duck about that topic and would like to remain untouched by it or AT THE VERY LEAST have the option to hide stuff that is suggested to me, not by my preferences but instead based on some political debate going on at the other side of planet earth.

I pay you for providing me with music Spotify and potentially suggesting new stuff related to the things I listen to, if I feel like it.

But stay clear of any political debate. I deliberately don't want to participate in it.

Give me an "I don't mind, please never show this to me again" button, just like YouTube or something. Everything else is, as mentioned several times in this thread HIGHLY unprofessional. Especially you, as a company with big range in the world, should be VERY careful about any political statements you push out to people without them requesting it.

Thank you.

You tried a few times to change the topic from one of a musical service failure whereby customers could not remove undesirable content from their feeds to a discussion on the political nature of said political content. Our complaints are specifically about a musical streaming service getting hijacked as a soapbox for political content. I have no desire in discussing any political content, and by extension I have no desire to see playlists that clearly do not belong in my music collection and are just there in order to explicitly 'show solidarity' with politics. I have no interest in politics. I just want musical recommendations based on my prior activity on Spotify. As a customer, I want more control over the content that lands up on my feed. I currently have no means to remove undesirable content, so I am stuck with particular suggestions, and that makes me angry. That is an end-user frustration, and a platform service failure. By example, if you do not watch explicit content, and suddenly Spotify pushes an entire playlist of explicit content onto your feed, you would not be equivocating over what really is explicit content at the end of the day. You would justifiably be angry, and justifiably you would demand a means to opt out of explicit playlists landing up in your recommendations. I hope this answers the question: Some of us are tired of corporations and platforms pushing politics of any kind. BLM is a political movement. Agree with it, disagree with it, see the politics, don't see the politics - it does not matter. I want no part in it, and I do not want to see it in my feed.

@Lausianne Why does one row of music suggestions bother people so much? Since they might not agree with BLM and thus don't want these suggestions popping up in their feed. They want their feed to be only theirs with nothing influencing them. These people are using their hard earned money to pay for a music streaming service, not a service that will influence them. Many people see the police as people who want to protect us, so seeing **** tha police may be insulting to them. I believe it isn't a huge deal for Spotify to give us the option to get rid of these playlists if we don't wish to see them. 

Same here. Spotify is mixing politics in a paid service and BLM is a political "movement" . The solidarity should be with people who die of police violence, not with BLM. I consider offensive that i pay spotify for trying to indoctrinating me and my family. No, thanks ! What i find sad is that Spotify is doing this just for commercial reasons. I guess the majority of spotify subscribers may like it but that doesn't mean that Spotify should mix with politics. Bye Bye Spotify

the politics are on my home screen. it has a bunch of solidarity stuff i didn't put there. i am not standing in solidarity with the murders and arson that has occurred over the past week. spotify might be pro-murder and arson, but i am not. i am a paying family premium customer and i do not want to support all the lives lost. 

spotify clearly supports people dying, buildings burning, and all the other violent crimes raging across the country. i would like an alternative that doesn't support this violence. 

maybe you do not see the politics because you are not a premium member?

look carson50, not everyone here is unemployed - we pay for spotify. as a customer, we tailor our home screen to ourselves. when spotify decides to deface our home screens, we get upset. 

get a job, pay for something, then you might understand where we are coming from.

Y'know, funnily enough, I too don't wish to stand "In Solidarity" with the frothing hordes of Barbarians that razed Minneapolis. I'd actually like to stand solidly AGAINST such repulsive creatures. What those cops did was wrong. That doesn't give you an excuse to torch and loot the homes and businesses of people who AREN'T THOSE COPS. I don't care what you look like. I don't care what your family has been through. I don't care why you're angry. White, Black, Asian, doesn't matter. If you participated in those riots, in any way, you gave in to the utmost brutality. That makes YOU the problem. And you should all suffer the consequences of your actions.

@holytouch I'm agreeing with you here! Don't you see that? I have a job, pay for Spotify and I don't want to see these playlists on my feed. I don't agree with the looting and arson that has occurred due to the BLM movement. 

Suggested posts