Announcements

Joe Rogan - Harmful Information Dissemination?

Joe Rogan - Harmful Information Dissemination?

Visitor

What is Spotify prepared to do regarding this type of communication from Podcast Host Joe Rogan?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/18/joe-rogan-antifa-oregon-fires/?hpid=hp_morning-mix-...

- "The backlash over Rogan’s false claim has heaped more pressure on Spotify, which recently signed the massively popular podcaster to a deal reportedly worth up to $100 million. Spotify also met with employees this week angry that the service is streaming Rogan episodes that critics have called transphobic, Vice reported."

- "The misinformation has led to real problems. When a meme went viral claiming that the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office had arrested “six antifa members” last week, the sheriff’s office was flooded with calls that tied up officers and operators. Unfounded fears of extremist fire-starters and false reports of looting have also led vigilantes to set up illegal roadblocks and hold a photojournalist at gunpoint."

So. . . Community:  Given the state of affairs in the United States, is this where Spotify "is going"?  Even accounting for 1st Amendment rights and artistic freedom, is there where ideas on Spotify are trending?  If so, okay, that's good for some segment of "The Community" - but for me, it might be time to walk away from the membership (and cease my financial contribution to this Company's bottom-line ) in this environment.

38 Replies

Re: Joe Rogan - Harmful Information Dissemination?

Casual Listener

I just signed up for a free trial of Spotify Premium service solely so I could follow the Joe Rogan Podcast.  The fact that he is already under attack by Orwellian anti-free-speech crusaders just underscores the importance of having a place where people can speak freely.

If Spotify doesn't honor the letter and spirit of their contract with Rogan, I'm out of here.   Hosting his podcast is a big responsibility and Spotify has an obligation to his many viewers.

The only problem is that he said activists...when it was one activist. Oooh the fake news is real! What a liar he is?! Get a grip of yourselves, there are idiots out there that are starting some of these fires.

If you give these leftists a finger, they'll chew your arm off and if you start censoring**bleep** like this i will most likely cancel my subscription which been running for 10 years.

Regular
Buy Daniel Ek a beer!!! Thank you for listening and then making the right decision. There are far more fans of free speech than of the anti-speech crowd. Spotify has the obligation to allow Joe's content unrestricted. They courted him on this premise and his fans expect such. If Spotify was to censor Joe Rogan because some employees disagree with him it opens the door for nearly every podcast to be censored, and many artists and songs. Would Spotify have a business after everyone had their chance to censor things they didn't like? I would certainly cancel my subscription if Spotify decided to become a censor. Keep doing the right thing for the business and society Daniel!!! CEO of the year

Music Fan
Hate speech is not free speech. Tolerance of intolerance is not tolerance. (The paradox of tolerance states that if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant.)

As an artist on Spotify, we have taken down our tracks from distribution and will not listen nor allow Spotify to play our music if they are looking to buy this kind of content. We cannot stand for this.

Casual Listener
Some day the wokies will realize that if they must block speech that
disagrees with their ideology, then that ideology itself is flawed. It can
only exist within an information bubble where it is never challenged.

Music Fan

Apparently your doctorate is in privilege and righteousness. Certainly not history, sociology or philosophy. Calling people as "woke" is a sure sign of your implicit bias.

Let me be the first to introduce you to a concept. It's called the Paradox of Intolerance.

"The paradox of tolerance states that if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Karl Popper described it as the seemingly paradoxical idea that, "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Popper expands upon this, writing, “I do not imply for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would be most unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force...”"

We have all seen where things go when hate towards minority groups of people is incited on large platforms. Joe Rogan feeds on this. Apparently Spotify wants a piece of that hate pie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

Regular

Do you believe that you can "claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force"?    If so, define force.  His quote comes off as a vailed terroristic threat .  Who in their right mind would believe in this concept in the United States?  It's counter to our 1st Amendment.  Please explain.

Music Fan
Right mind? Just like yelling fire in a crowded theater is not a right of free speech, inciting violence is never free speech. I think you have confused your "first amendment" with destruction of society. Try thinking about others, it could do you well.

Regular

You didn't answer the question.  Do you believe you have the right to censor someone, like Joe Rogan, or me, by force because we don't believe in yours and Karl's philosophy?  If so what does force mean to you?  Can Karl Popper's quote be construed as an intolerant call to incite violence?   I want your opinion, I want to understand.  I read his quote as blatant bigotry.  Educate me. 

Joe Rogan is hardly yelling fire in a crowded theater or destroying society.  It's a podcast, let's be real.  Link to an episode you think makes your argument. 

SUGGESTED POSTS