Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files in Your Music

Solved!

Local Files in Your Music

Hi I hope the following question makes and is in the right section!

I got spotify to upload my itunes files into "Local Files" section. I then went in and clicked on an album title and this created an album in the Albums section of Your Music. What I can't quite get my head around is whether those albums are still "mine" or whether they are now spotify files. This is important because Spotify told me, via Twitter, that Local Files don't count towards the 3,333 song limit for offline listening. I have in excess of 5000 songs on, roughly 400 albums and I'd like to be able access all these offline, as well as any i acquire via Spotify in the future.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello: First off all local music you add in Your Music under Local Files stays where it is at on your machine there is nothing uploaded. You can use spotify to sync those local files with a phone, tablet, and approved music players that use spotify apps. Just make sure the device you wish you sync local files with is on the same network as the system where the desktop app and local music is stored at. And yes those music files are still yours.

It is also correct that local music files sync to devices does not count towards the 3,333 track limit per device up to three for a total of 9,999 tracks offlined. Those 3,333 track limits refer to spotify streaming content offlined, spotify streaming music downloaded to those devices for listening offline. Although local music files will still use up device memory, so make sure your device has as much memory as possible before syncing local files and also offlining spotify content. Does not take long to fill up a devices memory with a couple thousand tracks mixed of local and spotify content on the device.

Also Your Music is broken down into these four sections

Songs

Albums

Artists

Local Files

The first three deal with spotify streaming content when you add albums or songs from either artists pages and/or playlists you come across and click on the little + signs to either add songs or whole albums of artists to these sections. Whenever you add a song or album to Your Music the artists will also be added under the Artist section as well, and can be clicked on to get to the content from that artist you save music from into Your Music. Please note there still exists a 10,000 limit of what can be added into Your Music under Songs and Albums.

Also again users are only allowed up to 3,333 offlined spotify streaming tracks at anyone time on each device up to three.Users can use the spotify app to sync as much local music files on their devices as they wish to with no track limits, but again memory space matters here on the devices.

I think I answered everything here correct?

Anything else you need answers to just give a shout out.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Yes, right now Your Music has a 10,000 tracks limit in Songs and Albums both. Many users are still using playlists which can save up to 10,000 tracks and you can create unlimited playlists. As of right now there is no way to offline anything from Your Music on the desktop app and so users use playlists to offline spotify content anyway from the desktop app. Android users can offline albums and also songs from under your music, right now that is one of the plus things of Your Music. Add the songs and albums you wish to Your Music, access Albums and Songs from an android device and then offline that content easily. If you wish if you create playlists you can always self limit the number of tracks in the playlists to say somewhere around 3,000 so you are always guaranteed to stay within the offline limits on your device. To know how many tracks you have in playlists the full number of tracks will be displayed on a small context bar just below the four album artwork image of the playlist, next to the user name of whomever created the playlist either you or who the user was that you followed the playlist of, this is on the desktop app by the way. To see how many songfs are in playlists on say Android, look under PLAYLISTS and the total track number of each should be displayed right under each playlist name. Anyway hope this help some.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello: First off all local music you add in Your Music under Local Files stays where it is at on your machine there is nothing uploaded. You can use spotify to sync those local files with a phone, tablet, and approved music players that use spotify apps. Just make sure the device you wish you sync local files with is on the same network as the system where the desktop app and local music is stored at. And yes those music files are still yours.

It is also correct that local music files sync to devices does not count towards the 3,333 track limit per device up to three for a total of 9,999 tracks offlined. Those 3,333 track limits refer to spotify streaming content offlined, spotify streaming music downloaded to those devices for listening offline. Although local music files will still use up device memory, so make sure your device has as much memory as possible before syncing local files and also offlining spotify content. Does not take long to fill up a devices memory with a couple thousand tracks mixed of local and spotify content on the device.

Also Your Music is broken down into these four sections

Songs

Albums

Artists

Local Files

The first three deal with spotify streaming content when you add albums or songs from either artists pages and/or playlists you come across and click on the little + signs to either add songs or whole albums of artists to these sections. Whenever you add a song or album to Your Music the artists will also be added under the Artist section as well, and can be clicked on to get to the content from that artist you save music from into Your Music. Please note there still exists a 10,000 limit of what can be added into Your Music under Songs and Albums.

Also again users are only allowed up to 3,333 offlined spotify streaming tracks at anyone time on each device up to three.Users can use the spotify app to sync as much local music files on their devices as they wish to with no track limits, but again memory space matters here on the devices.

I think I answered everything here correct?

Anything else you need answers to just give a shout out.

Hi

Thanks for your very comprehensive answer which solves my original question. However, it raises an issue i wasn't aware of. You said that only 10,000 songs can be saved to "Albums" etc  Is this an absolute lmit by which I means 10,000 regardless of whether files are synced for offline or whether they are "Local" files?

Marked as solution

Yes, right now Your Music has a 10,000 tracks limit in Songs and Albums both. Many users are still using playlists which can save up to 10,000 tracks and you can create unlimited playlists. As of right now there is no way to offline anything from Your Music on the desktop app and so users use playlists to offline spotify content anyway from the desktop app. Android users can offline albums and also songs from under your music, right now that is one of the plus things of Your Music. Add the songs and albums you wish to Your Music, access Albums and Songs from an android device and then offline that content easily. If you wish if you create playlists you can always self limit the number of tracks in the playlists to say somewhere around 3,000 so you are always guaranteed to stay within the offline limits on your device. To know how many tracks you have in playlists the full number of tracks will be displayed on a small context bar just below the four album artwork image of the playlist, next to the user name of whomever created the playlist either you or who the user was that you followed the playlist of, this is on the desktop app by the way. To see how many songfs are in playlists on say Android, look under PLAYLISTS and the total track number of each should be displayed right under each playlist name. Anyway hope this help some.

If Spotify "modifies" a song from your imported local files, subtituting it for a version of it from the Spotify library (which it annoyingly does all too often) then does the resulting song then count toward the download limit ?

hi there spotify wont let me move my 26,000 tracks to playlists it just keeps saying that i have reached the song limit for that playlist but doesnt put any songs in the playlist please can you help.

Thanks, Alfie.

Suggested posts