Offline files from one device syncing offline on all other devices??

Offline files from one device syncing offline on all other devices??

maxfischer
Regular

I'm a bit confused on how offline syncing works.  It seems that the files marked as available offline on an ipod under my account are also being download for offline play on my android phone.    The files on my ipod are not in playlists, just separate songs.  How do i set spotify up to make sure only the files that each device selects as available offline are downloaded on that particular device?  Or is that not possible and we have to have the same offline songs on all devices?

Thanks

10 Replies

Re: Offline files from one device syncing offline on all other devices??

Joe
Community Legend

The devices are completely independent normally. What ipod do you have?

maxfischer
Regular

Thanks for the quick reply.  4th generation iPod with an up to date OS (6. something i think).  Android phone is galaxy s 4.

maxfischer
Regular

...and just to confirm what I think I'm seeing, the songs on my android phone show green download arrows and these songs I know I didn't set up for offline play on my phone (they are my on my daugher's ipod).  In addition to the green arrow next to the songs, when I turn on "offline mode" in the settings, i can still play the songs from my other device, which makes me assume they are downloaded on my android.  Strangely though, when i click on artists, then a specific artist, the "available offline" toggle at the top of the page is off, even though i see green arrows next to the songs.

Joe
Community Legend

Is that a nano, classic, touch?

maxfischer
Regular

Sorry, ipod touch 4th gen...

Peter__
Community Legend
How is your daughter marking her content as available offline? Is she using the slider in the iPod app or using the desktop client?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

maxfischer
Regular

Slider in the ipod app.

Peter__
Community Legend
Super weird!

So if you mark a playlist as available offline on the iPod, it downloads the playlist on your android device or just some tracks from it?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

maxfischer
Regular

Ok, I think I've figured things out.

First, as Spotify indicates, this service is really intended for a single user, potentially using several different devices.  Therefore, any song, album or playlist added to the library (My Music) gets recognized by any device logged in using that account and will be seen by all other devices.  Thus, anything that my daughter adds to her iPod will show up under My Music on my android.

Second, I think what probably happened on my phone is I hit the offline slider under the "Songs" tab and thus any song added from any device downloaded for offline play.  I uninstalled the Spotify app from both my phone and my daughter's ipod.  When reinstalled, no offline sliders were on by default and no songs on either device were downloaded for offline play.

So, it's possible to have different songs downloaded for offline play on different devices by selecting available offline by album, artist or playlist.

SUGGESTED POSTS