Pausing when lowering volume?

Solved!
Highlighted

Pausing when lowering volume?

Casual Listener

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, but I don't know where/how to report bugs.

Anyway, listening to Spotify on Macbook, Mountain Lion OS X, newest version of Spotify (I think)

An ad came up for H & R Block.  I guess it was a little louder than the music I was playing, cause I turned the volume down a little.  When I did, the ad paused.  I increased the volume again, and the ad resumed.  I tried again, and the same thing, volume down 2+ notches and the ad paused.  The volume was not at mute, and this problem doesn't occur with actual non-ads (music), and it doesn't happen if I click the volume down once.  I didn't have a lot of time to experiment in a 30-second ad, so I don't know the ins and outs of the bug, but I thought it was worth reporting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: Pausing when lowering volume?

Community Legend

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

That is intentional behaviour as far as I am aware.

Rapidly changing the volume or muting Spotify or your internal speakers (using Mac OS volume controls) will cause the advert to pause, I'm assuming because Spotify then know you aren't listening to it (although in your case you actually are!)

I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with the free version lately, however, on Windows at least you used to be able to slowly turn down the volume and that would not trigger a pause, or plug in external speakers and control the volume on the speaker output. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Solution!

Community Legend

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

That is intentional behaviour as far as I am aware.

Rapidly changing the volume or muting Spotify or your internal speakers (using Mac OS volume controls) will cause the advert to pause, I'm assuming because Spotify then know you aren't listening to it (although in your case you actually are!)

I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with the free version lately, however, on Windows at least you used to be able to slowly turn down the volume and that would not trigger a pause, or plug in external speakers and control the volume on the speaker output. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Casual Listener

That seems plausible. It just seems kind of silly.  It would make more sense to just pause when muted, if that's the intention. I shouldn't have to be subjected to loud adverts because they don't want com turning down the volume on my computer. 

Highlighted

Regular

Since you're on a Mac, you're in luck if you can run AppleScript. See my post "Ad Volume CALM-ed" for a fix to loud ads. It also fixes the pausing problem when the script lowers the volume.

Ad Volume CALM-ed             

Highlighted

Regular

Honestly though, how dare spotify force people to listen to ads like that. I know just because of that I will never support spotify again by paying for it, and will continue to take my earphones off when they play.  Having the ads there is abnoxious enough to make you want to pay for uninteruppted music, it feels like an invasion of my mental space that I cant turn it off, even on my computers volume settings, without it pausing, trying to force me to listen. Not cool spotify.. We see what you did there.

brainchains.jpg
Highlighted

Community Legend

You really don't have to listen to ads. Take out a subscription and support artists that way instead.

Highlighted

Regular

I have had a subscription, it just ran out and I had the pleasure of witnessing this monstronsity of marketing. Telling me to pay as a way to not have my mind filled with garbage is comparable to extortion. I love to support artists, I'm not going to support that.

Highlighted

Community Legend
Well, the only two options for supporting an artist is, afaik, ads or paying for premium.
If those two options are not the way you want to support the artists, please enlighten me as to how one would support the artists?
☆✩✪ Want to help out? Become a Spotify Rock Star today! ✪✩☆
Jag svarar på svenska via pm eller via twitter

Binaural track - listen with headphones with good volume!
Highlighted

Regular
I'd be more than happy to enlighten you, thanks for asking. I guess you've never heard of Itunes, or buying a record for that matter. You know, contrary to what you may believe, artist don't make all their money through spotify.
Highlighted

Community Legend
Sorry, I missunderstood your problem. I thought you were talking about streaming music, not buying track by track. My mistake. Happy for your sake to hear that you can afford to buy all the music you like. Me and my family however can not. Which is why streaming is a great solution and either using an ad-based or payed-for service, seems like the only alternatives for me.
☆✩✪ Want to help out? Become a Spotify Rock Star today! ✪✩☆
Jag svarar på svenska via pm eller via twitter

Binaural track - listen with headphones with good volume!
SUGGESTED POSTS