Playing Search Rsults

Solved!

Playing Search Rsults

AsTango
Casual Listener

I'm a new user and having trouble getting used to Spotify.  I have a number of questions, since Spotify seems to work differently than other music services.  (And it's frustrating - often I don't want to make a playlist, but there's so few generic radio stations to play!)

I was experimenting and took one genre, "doowop," and did a search using "genre:doowop."  I did this on my computer, since I know I can do more on the computer than I can with Spotify's Android client.

I got a list of music and, of course, the more I scrolled down, the longer the list became.  I tried to just hit Play, but nothing happened.  Apparently I have to pick either an album or an artist.

Is there any way I can do a search and just play that directly?  Or save a search so I can easily play it later?  For instance, if I created a search that included (and I don't remember the exact genre names here), rhythm and blues, rock, rock 'n' roll, and limited it to the years 1960-1969, that takes a bit of time and thought to be sure I have it all correct.  It'd be fantastic to be able to do a search like that and just hit "Play" and have it randomly play through all songs in the results and to save it so I don't lose it if I listen to 21 new stations in the meanwhile.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Playing Search Rsults

Joe
Community Legend

If you play the first track in a search result (double-click it) , it will play all the tracks showing in succession. Another thing you can do is select a track then select all with a ctrl-A then add the lot to a playlist.

To save a search (not the search results) just copy your complex search from the search box and create a link on your desktop or wherever in the format

spotify:search:searchterm for example spotify:search:doowop

By the way, this is a linked list of all the spotify genres which may be of interest to you.

EDIT: I assumed you are using the desktop client 

Solution!

AsTango
Casual Listener

Yes, I"m using the desktop client.

I found that if I tried to select all the tracks, it only included the tracks that had been loaded into the list.  I tried, a number of times, to scroll down as far as I could, until it was complete, but that always crashed Spotify (on my iMac - newest version of Spotify and OS X).  So if I double click and start playing a track, will the playlist be limited to only the current tracks that can show up, or will it include all the tracks that are added as I scroll down?

And thanks for the list of genres!  I will defintiely be using that.  I guess I'll set up a folder with all my searches.  Too bad I can't just save them on Spotify somehow (it's not like the diskspace is much compared to their other data needs).

7 Replies
Solution!

Joe
Community Legend

If you play the first track in a search result (double-click it) , it will play all the tracks showing in succession. Another thing you can do is select a track then select all with a ctrl-A then add the lot to a playlist.

To save a search (not the search results) just copy your complex search from the search box and create a link on your desktop or wherever in the format

spotify:search:searchterm for example spotify:search:doowop

By the way, this is a linked list of all the spotify genres which may be of interest to you.

EDIT: I assumed you are using the desktop client 

Solution!

AsTango
Casual Listener

Yes, I"m using the desktop client.

I found that if I tried to select all the tracks, it only included the tracks that had been loaded into the list.  I tried, a number of times, to scroll down as far as I could, until it was complete, but that always crashed Spotify (on my iMac - newest version of Spotify and OS X).  So if I double click and start playing a track, will the playlist be limited to only the current tracks that can show up, or will it include all the tracks that are added as I scroll down?

And thanks for the list of genres!  I will defintiely be using that.  I guess I'll set up a folder with all my searches.  Too bad I can't just save them on Spotify somehow (it's not like the diskspace is much compared to their other data needs).

Joe
Community Legend

I guess a huge search result might cause instability issues - I once tried to load the entire catalogue by seaching between two dates and my laptop was most unhappy.

Once you start playing from a search result, it should just keep going until the bitter end. What actually happens is that 30 tracks are immediately added to your play queue then further tracks are added, one by one, to keep the queue at 30 tracks.

The search bar does retain search history but links are probably safer :)

AsTango
Casual Listener

If I pick random play, with a big search like that, will it stay in that first set of results, or will it expand to cover the rest?

I'm going to have to see if I can get this to work on my phone, too, since it didn't seem to when I tried it there.  But it has created a playlist from the desktop client that includes over 750 songs, which may be the limit for Doo Wop on Spotify.

I'll try some big playlists later.  I have a new iMac with 24GB of memory and a 3TB drive, so that should be able to handle a mega-playlist!

Joe
Community Legend

LOL......all that power!

The fact that the search results are still loading shouldn't matter because of the way shuffle works in spotify - I believe they will be working on improving it but, meanwhile, "random play is exactly what it is. It seems to pick 30 tracks at random and pop them in the queue then picks and adds tracks one at a time to maintain the queue. Sadly, this means we can get repeats but at least it should work in your situation.

Have you tried creating a radio station of your own - this may be better for you. Stick a bunch of Doowop in a playlist then right click on the playlist name > start playlist radio.

AsTango
Casual Listener

I just found that very feature - playlist radio.  I gave it a quick test.  (In other words, clicked to be sure it worked, but had to stop it because I have to get to a practice session.)  I didn't want to leave it playing when I'd be using my phone in a few minutes.

I did find, unfortunately, that the radio staions don't show up in Sonos.  As long as it's on my desktop and cell phone, that will be good.

This raises another issue: Is there a length to playlists?

(And thank you for all your help and info!)

Joe
Community Legend

The only limit I'm aware of is 10,000 tracks per playlist. You're welcome - enjoy your music and shout if you need any help.

SUGGESTED POSTS