Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium subscribers beware! Spotify make it very difficult for you to cancel!

Premium subscribers beware! Spotify make it very difficult for you to cancel!

I write this as someone who has had the unfortunate experience of trying to cancel my subscription after getting Spotify premium.

Spotify themselves make it very, very difficult for you to cancel. It is an absolute nightmare. Some words of advice would be to not leave it to the last day or so before it runs out to try and cancel your subscription. You need to leave plenty of time to get it sorted before they take another £9.99 from your bank account.

I really wish I had read this forum BEFORE I had subscribed and seen the vast numbers of dissatisfied users unable to cancel....I would never have done it in the first place!

Don't be fooled into thinking you are inputting an incorrect password at the final hurdle when you are cancelling - you are not - they deliberately do this to make things awkward. You have to then fill in a contact form (which incidentally says could take 3 days to respond to - hence my earlier mention that you shouldn't leave it too late to start to cancel.)

Because it's not a direct debit, it can't be cancelled easily by your bank either. After speaking to my bank, the only way they could do it for me was to cancel my account and open a new one!

In the end, what worked for me was having to download a new internet browser and go through that. Luckily for me that worked, but I see from on here that that doesn't work for everyone.

I loved Spotify and was a big fan, and my cancellation was only going to be a temporary thing untill I had a bit more money. But now that's it. I'm done with Spotify for good. It's absolutely disgusting and to my mind is almost corporate theft what they are doing in making it virtually impossible to cancel.

Disgusting.

69 Replies

I canceled my subscription easily month ago. Deleted my credit card details from Spotify too. I still love service. I just want to purchase Spotify with Gift cards available here. When time to purchase (Premium Subscription at the end), I purchase gift card for three months, and this works for me fine.

@hpguru wrote:
I canceled my subscription easily month ago. Deleted my credit card details from Spotify. I still love service.

This is because you have an old login without Facebook. Users that are required to log in with Facebook are having trouble canceling.

Spotify has required a Facebook account for almost 6 months now and nothing has been done about these cancellation problems faced by Facebook-required users.

Yes. Trouble is forced to be on Facebook integration. This is very poor move. And as you say no one care in Spotify about this. But i'm happy that i registered to Spotify before Facebook crap...

You are very lucky not to have the Facebook integration.

Oh and I see this thread that I made in 'Accounts, Subscriptions, and Music Purchases' has been conveniently been moved out of the way. It was supposed to help people, but whatever. Help seems to be the last thing on Spotify's mind. Grabbing your money and not letting go of it seems to be top priority.

Oh well, I've got it off my chest what I wanted to say anyway.

Such a shame becaused I love Spotify other than this.

If I understand right. When you're logged in with facebook you can't chance to log in only with spotify?? ..... I have a big problem and I don't know how to change this. The fact is I want to deactivate facebook, but I want to use Spotify, actually because I also pay for that. So what can I do ?.. Should I cancel from Spotify to for the time I'm deactivated by facebook ?? ..... That's S***. It's disgusting, that there couldn't be an other solutions. Please help... :S

@_CaLiiph_ wrote:

If I understand right. When you're logged in with facebook you can't chance to log in only with spotify?? ..... I have a big problem and I don't know how to change this. The fact is I want to deactivate facebook, but I want to use Spotify, actually because I also pay for that. So what can I do ?.. Should I cancel from Spotify to for the time I'm deactivated by facebook ?? ..... That's S***. It's disgusting, that there couldn't be an other solutions. Please help... :S

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Yes you are correct, if you created an account using Facebook then there is no way to seperate your Spotify details from your Facebook account. 

If you want to continue using the Spotify service, I would suggest that you cancel your subscription on your premium account before you deactivate your Facebook, as once deactivated you won't be able to sign into your account to cancel the subscription. You can always make a new account using your email address (instead of Facebook) from the signup page.

I am currently not aware of any other way around this. If you have playlists, you can copy them onto your desktop on your computer and then drag them into your new account to move them over too. 

If you have any issues, the customer services team will be happy to help. You can talk to them using the online contact form.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I had a similar experience of Spotify taking another £9.99 from me before I could cancel and then failed to provide the service!  However I'd been savvy enough to pay using Paypal having had great experiences with it on eBay.  Sure enough when I filed a dispute, Paypal challenged Spotify on my behalf and my £9.99 was refunded without  question a few days later.  Spotify froze my free account in revenge.  Spotify really isn't a great advert for itself to new users.  I'm using it more and more but don't trust them to pay for Premium again.  Advice:  pay with Paypal.

@AgentFruit wrote:

I had a similar experience of Spotify taking another £9.99 from me before I could cancel and then failed to provide the service!  However I'd been savvy enough to pay using Paypal having had great experiences with it on eBay.  Sure enough when I filed a dispute, Paypal challenged Spotify on my behalf and my £9.99 was refunded without  question a few days later.  Spotify froze my free account in revenge.  Spotify really isn't a great advert for itself to new users.  I'm using it more and more but don't trust them to pay for Premium again.  Advice:  pay with Paypal.

Spotify take chargebacks very seriously, which is why I am guessing your account was disabled. 

There is no reason if your payment was successfull your account would not have been placed on premium, after all it is automated and Spotify are not in the market of ripping people off but it is a common occurance people upgrade on the wrong account since annoyingly it is amazingly easy to accidentally have two, one with a spotify username and another using your Facebook details. 

Peter

Peter

AgentFruit - The system is automated, if you don't cancel your subscription in time, you will be charged. We don't try and catch you out.

Should a chargeback be filed, your account will be disabled. As Peter said, we take these things very seriously. It's not revenge, it's an anti-fraud thing.

If you'd like to access your account again, please contact our payments team. They'll get it all sorted for you.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi

Just a similar nightmare experience.Below what I have sent them.

It does seen to be amazingly hard to unsubscribe considering there ease of the "free Trial"

They now have my complete loathing and will never join having been a possible customer.

your site is not allowing me to stop my rip off and unused acct.     1187751321 is my number please stop now and refund now £40.00
Have followed instructions but site not working in the way you say it should.
1-Why do you not send e receipt when taking money?

Have just noticed that money has gone out since july 17th, 19 August, September and 17th October
2-please confirm action on this matter

@joshpulman Hi Josh. You have two accounts here. One was created through your Facebook, with the username 1187751321. This is a free account and has no history of any transactions. The other is a Premium account with the username 'spotjoshua'. If you log in with this and your Spotify password, not your Facebook details, you will see your Premium.

We've really not been doing anything shady or been trying to make it difficult for you. You simply have 2 accounts and have been accessing the wrong one. I can see your case has come through to the right team, you should hear back shortly.

-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Thanks for your reply and I have ended account.

It  still does not give me my £40.00 back.I feel like i have been mugged or robbed.You are taking money upfront so in theory I can use Spotify till 16 dec? I would rather have my money back!

It does not explain why you do not send a reciept / statement when you take money out like nearly all suppliers who use the Card Purchase option.?

The two account thing is confusing to say the least

Awaiting reply to my points

Many thanks

Josh Puman

@joshauspot If you could explain your concerns with the payments team, they'll be able to look into a refund. We can't do it here. Yes, you'll be able to use your Premium up to the point you've paid for.

Regarding a receipt, we send one out when a subscription or 30 day trial is started with the relevant information inside. If you'd then like to check payments or receipts after this, you can do so from your account pages here.

-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

I too am finding it impossable to cancel my account which i have never been able to download or access. When I go in to cancel the subsciption it tells me  that i dont have one, yet continues to debit by credit card each month?????

I cant find anywhere on the subscription page where it is supposed to an avenue to cancel, I am beside myself 

How did you cancel your subscription, I cant find where on the site this is possible

Does your account show as Premium/Unlimited on this page?

https://www.spotify.com/account/overview/

If not, but you are being billed you are not logging into the account you have subscribed on. Check your details, it is amazingly easy to accidentally have two accounts, one with a Spotify username and another via Facebook. If you can't find your account to cancel it, get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form including any email addresses you may have used to make the account and they can track it down for you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Please can someone unsubscribe my Premium accoutntbefore i throw my computer against the wall? 

Spotify Case # 02286187

Id also like someone to explain to me where Ive ben going wrong for the past 4 weeks trying to find a way to cancel my subscription?

There seems to be no options for cancelling or changing and this page and its links go no where.. Ive tried Firefox, Chrome and Safari. Its bizarre. Am I just being really dumb?!

Thansk
Rachel

Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 16.26.13.png

Does anyone know if you still have to pay the monthly price after you cancel until your premium account expires? or do you stop paying when you cancel the subscription?

@RachLC 

You might have subscribed to premium through the iPhone or iPad app.

To cancel your subscription, you need to cancel it from iTunes. Your subscription is being handled by Apple.

Information on how to do this can be found here:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

http://www.imore.com/how-cancel-or-modify-itunes-or-app-store-subscription-right-your-iphone-or-ipad

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts