Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium subscribers beware! Spotify make it very difficult for you to cancel!

Premium subscribers beware! Spotify make it very difficult for you to cancel!

I write this as someone who has had the unfortunate experience of trying to cancel my subscription after getting Spotify premium.

Spotify themselves make it very, very difficult for you to cancel. It is an absolute nightmare. Some words of advice would be to not leave it to the last day or so before it runs out to try and cancel your subscription. You need to leave plenty of time to get it sorted before they take another £9.99 from your bank account.

I really wish I had read this forum BEFORE I had subscribed and seen the vast numbers of dissatisfied users unable to cancel....I would never have done it in the first place!

Don't be fooled into thinking you are inputting an incorrect password at the final hurdle when you are cancelling - you are not - they deliberately do this to make things awkward. You have to then fill in a contact form (which incidentally says could take 3 days to respond to - hence my earlier mention that you shouldn't leave it too late to start to cancel.)

Because it's not a direct debit, it can't be cancelled easily by your bank either. After speaking to my bank, the only way they could do it for me was to cancel my account and open a new one!

In the end, what worked for me was having to download a new internet browser and go through that. Luckily for me that worked, but I see from on here that that doesn't work for everyone.

I loved Spotify and was a big fan, and my cancellation was only going to be a temporary thing untill I had a bit more money. But now that's it. I'm done with Spotify for good. It's absolutely disgusting and to my mind is almost corporate theft what they are doing in making it virtually impossible to cancel.

Disgusting.

Top Answer
Katerina
Spotify Legend

Hey everyone!

If you're having trouble canceling, we'd suggest heading to our Help Boards and starting a new thread for your specific issue there.

We'll do our best to lend a hand. In the meantime, we'd recommend checking out the info here too.

Thanks!

69 Replies

@bojore 

When you cancel the subscription, it should stop the payments. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Exactly the same experience with Spotify, utterly disgusting! They should be named and shamed in by far more publicised way regarding this, no other words to call it but blatant THEFT!!!

Tottal BS, Sam the moderator! I cancelled on the 3rd of May 2015, £9,99 was taken from my account on the 26th of May I contacted Spotify to complain and ask for  a refund- nothing happened. On the 24th of June 2015 £9.99 was taken yet AGAIN!!! At that point I had no other option but to contact my bank, hopefully this now the end of my account being stolen from by Spotify!!! Utterly disgusting that you're trying to pull some wool over ppl's eyes with your little excuses of "automated system", Sam the moderator! 

How do I delete my bank details off spotify ?

How do u cancel ?

Siraya, phone your bank and explain that you cancelled ( presume you did) but to no avail! I ONLY managed to cancel with the help of my bank. The bank then blocked Spotify from using funds on my account as well as refunded 2 x £9.99 Good luck!

I am paying for premium and not receiving it. I've followed all the steps put out to make it happen but it has not. Now it had beginner a pain to cancel. I'm paying monthly for NOTHING. I want this problem over.

it is so unbelievable...... I know so many people who have had to cancel
their credit cards because of the same problem

who knows, It was impossible and in the end I just cancelled the credit
card that the money was being debited from

that is exactly what happened to me.......I had to cancel my credit
card....It is hard to believe that they are getting away with this

I know, very hard to believe! How do they get away with it it's anyone's question! I hope I managed, but still to bee seen end of this month...

What an utter load of tosh if ever I did hear it. Ive been a member for many many years and cancelled numerous times [and currently cancelled] with no issues whatsoever. Once I managed to mess up re subscribing by clicking twice on a laggy connection , contacted CS and was duly refunded my overpayment in a promt manner. I read a lot of folk on this forum berating spotify on a regular basis and a lot of the time notice theyre using various means to gain access to spotifys services. Heres a noval idea, try dealing with service prividers directly and NOT through other distributors interfaces and youll find things work a lot smoother. Payment issues are one problem Ive not experienced with spotify...keep up the good work guys. 

some of you folk shouting accusations of theft and wong doings......are you lot for real? If youve subscribed through the likes of an apple app have you even bothered to check if youve been dumb enough to leave the subscription active there? as for the 'not even issued a receipt' few amongst you, try checking your accounts page. Quite besides myself with the stupidy I whitness from keyboard warriors. 

Well I don't have premium. Haven't had it since last year but randomly have started getting premium charges to my PayPal account the last two months.
Despite being charged I still don't have premium, cannot effing cancel a service I don't have and cannot see how to stop the charges going through.
Please advise.

I think you must have gotten paid to say that about them because I've been trying to cancel my premium account for days now and even staff in a Vodafone shop tried to help me but couldn't as Spotify make it so difficult. Very unhappy with Spotify and I will be letting everyone know about this.

It is theft, I got my premium account with my phone contract and it was free for the first half a year, however when I got Spotify i found it rubbish so deleted the app and forgot about it, because my half a year is over I have been getting charged for the premium account even though I don't have the app and ive been trying to cancel it but can't do it as Spotify make it so difficult.

Sorry I downvoted the solution, this was by no means a solution! Read trough this forum and do a simple search on Google to get an idea what's wrong. Spotify really does a bad job and they could do much better.

I am having trouble to Canceling Spotify and can't find any button/form where I can do it.

I signed up for Free Spofify and my account says so, but my bank account is chopped $9.99 every time by Spotify.

What should I do? I don't want to go through closing my account...

It IS a hassle situation!

HELP!

I'm slowly starting to realize the point of this forum's existence. I originally subscribed to Spotify on my android phone through their app, and wish to cancel due to my lack of use no longer making it worth the price. The app does not allow cancelation, but promises it to be a quick and easy process done directly through their website. But when I log in to my account on the website, my account details say that I am only receiving the free version and am not subscribed to premium, completely eliminating any and all options to cancel anything whatsoever, even though my phone has access to ALL premium options through the app and my bank statements reflect and prove the fact that I am most certainly being charged for premium service. Had I read this forum before subscribing, I would have gladly used YouTube for my music instead...

I am going through a similar problem. I subscribed, and now wish to cancel, but when I log in to the website, my account information says that I am not subscribed to premium but am using the free service, essentially saying that as far as Spotify is concerned, there is nothing to cancel, even though my bank statements for the last three months clearly state otherwise. For me right now, unless someone from customer support gets back to me in a timely manner, (which many posters on this forum have already stated almost never happens) I will have no choice but to report my debit card lost/stolen with my bank and request a new one with DIFFERENT numbers so that Spotify will no longer have anything to charge. I suggest you look into doing the same, good luck...

Suggested posts