Review: Spotify Connect with Pioneer SMA1 (Spotify speaker)

Highlighted

Review: Spotify Connect with Pioneer SMA1 (Spotify speaker)

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey there. It's time to review this stuff. Thanks for Spotify, it was a free gift as thank you for helping here on Community last year. I think personally that this stuff is really cool, but some bugs are present. In this review I try to explain some things. First, you want to look at speaker maybe. I can say that this is good little speaker. I personally, I hate a lot spekers, like 2.1 or 5.1. I have no space for these and there is really no need to much speakers. This system is 2.0 - 2 speakers in one without subwoofer.

20140529_164258.jpg

Speaker is little and it takes only little space on table

Even if no subwoofer, the sound quality is very personal. Great bass, vocals are clear and speaker is loud. The main reason to have this speaker for many people is Spotify Connect support. Out of the box, this just won't work. You need first to download firmware update which was for me one minute work. Not much to do at first. The problem actually was not firmware update, it was a hard setup. The user guide is too hard to understand for first. I don't know who ever made it, but please make things simpler.

20140529_164148.jpg

My Spotify speaker, Netflix TV and cable modem 100M/5M

I managed to setup this only with hard try. Setup guide could be more easy. But when you manage to setup, what a sound! I have little home and I can listen music clearly even in another room where I sleep or enjoy smartphone in sofa. In the living room with a kitchen speaker is playing very well, where I actually sit in another sofa and use my laptop on little sofa table. From sofa I also lounging and watching Netflix from my Netflix TV on tv table where my speaker also is.

20140529_164253.jpg

Ethernet cables connected to my cable modem (4 of 4), smartphone is only one on Wifi

If you use a lot Spotify, you need Spotify Premium for Connect feature. But wait, someone may have only Free or Unlimited. Yes yes, you can listen Spotify also in this Pioneer. But only with 3,5 mm - 3,5 mm cord (you can buy it, commercially available) and then use another input in speaker. The sound will be 160 kbps when on Premium with Connect it will be 320 kbps. The better quality is really good reason to update however... Also this speaker can be connected to your router with Wifi or Ethernet.

20140529_164159.jpg

The speaker at another view, cable is annoying, but you can live with it...

The problem is that Wifi is only 65 Mbps, but this is enough for audio stream however. A way bigger problem is Wifi itself, as you need to keep speaker around your router for hassle-free streaming. I prefer Ethernet as it is more stable way for any Internet usage. My speaker, tv, laptop and digibox are all connected over Wifi to Internet. Smartphone, it's only one on Wifi. I enjoy this speaker but there is one serious problem. When Spotify closes itself on phone after some inactivity and you open app again - Spotify skips to another song.

It's really annoying, but I can live with it, as usually I listen this speaker as radio to listen my playlist on random. Overally this is good system, but another little bug is that you can't queue more than one track. You can do this, but Connect will play only first queued track. So if you want to listen album from start to end, you need actually to open it and click play and also you need to remove shuffle. Of cource you can queue one by one when track plays, you queue next, but it's waste of time. These little bugs in Connect could be worked better!

I'm in love with speaker, but sometimes these little bugs are annoying me. But wait! For this great price, with great sound and so happy stuff pumping from you speakers, you can live with these! If I can live, so can you. If you want to use lower quality on stream, you can select on Spotify settings 160 kbps mode. Customer service said that Spotify use stream rate selected on app itself. And there is no reason Collect will drain you battery. Absolutely no no! You can ever shut down the phone and speakers keeps pumping loud 🙂

In other words great setup, but it could be better (bug free Connect). Also the Connect is only available on mobile phones, hopefully soon also  on Web Player and Desktop app. If you want to enjoy easy music with good sound and bass without subwoofer, go for it. It's like my Netflix TV, so I can stream stuff directly from Netflix using my TV. In this speakers idea is same, you only stream music from Spotify and all plays are collected, so Spotify will pay to right holders. At last, some stuff about remote.

Remote control is little and it is cheap. I think it's really cheap-made remote. It could be better. But it works as promised. You have also many of these buttons also on your speaker itself. It's easy to skip to next track for example from sofa or if you want more volume, just click and all done! But the material of remote control is cheap plastic. It could be better. In overal the package is good. You can enjoy your music with amazing sound easily and that's really all you need and get for price.

I recommend this speaker for everyone. It delivers all advertised stuff with style.

I like:

+ Great sound for price and size

+ Easy way to listen your playlist with full enjoyment

+ Great size, you can setup it easily everywhere

+ Stylish look

+ Uses only 24W of energy in hour when in use, very good if you want to enjoy best sound and save in your energy bills

+ Connectivity very accessible like Ethernet, easy to put cable

+ Shuts off automatically when open for some time and no music pumping

Could be better:

- Remote control very cheap

- Bugs in Connect could be fixed by Spotify

- No volume normalisation, some songs are low compared to anothers

- Wifi could be faster (n type)

- Hard to setup at first time

4 stars of 5.

8 Replies

Re: Review: Spotify Connect with Pioneer SMA1 (Spotify speaker)

user-removed
Not applicable

Picture about remote control. It's very cheap made.

P6070013.JPG

Joe
Community Legend

Hey, I'm sure Pioneer will be in touch to offer you a job in their marketing division shortly 🙂

Another thing that had me foxed for a while was the inability to play local files using connect. Then I remembered that the speaker supports DLNA and itunes on windows (sorry about the i-word) can stream music using airplay to the speaker. I can even control volume etc from itunes so now I have the best of both worlds - direct streaming from spotify using connect and local files streamed from my laptop.

It would be nice if I didn't have to switch platforms but still.

user-removed
Not applicable

I'm streaming man. I can find almost everything I need from Spotify and Netflix. I have no music / movie files on my computer.

Yes, I tried to play local files as test to speaker and that worked. Really.

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey there.

Sound quality recorded with my phone.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21896m_my-pioneer-sma1-spotify-speaker-the-work_music

I do not own the song, it's streamed just for education purpose how this stuff works on speaker and it sounds good.

Vanya (Ti-Mo Remix Edit). Please support Hands Up music!

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey there.

My Pioneer SMA1 is still working. It is year old soon. I listen only bassy music, so it's extremely good product to be a friend with never ending BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM basslines 😄 Like Rob Mayth...

Rob Mayth Pioneer SMA1

Greetz!

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey there.

Ladies and gentlemen. This is question.

How in the earth this little guy can produce so much bass? I mean... listen!

Pioneer SMA1 - Bass Attack! by hpguru

All this hands up! music is pumping every day all day long and this guy is still working! For year now, this was greatest Spotify gift last christmas. And oh, I can tell always a little joke to the end of this storyline 😄

Bass attack! Danceboy Remix Edit. Bam, bam, bam, bam - BUM. Bam, bam, bam, bam - BUM. Party bounce 😎 Look out for falling wall design elements!

Genre: Hands Up!
Label: LNG Music
Remixer: Danceboy

Greetz! 🙂

user-removed
Not applicable

I think my SMA1 is almost dead now 😞

It just reboots or never want to shut down. I need to shut down it with cable, because when I push on remote or speaker itself, nothing happens, When I choose new part of track, it takes ages to make any sound... I think this is dead now.

Not so cool, as these problems now. 10 seconds to go to next part before any sound... Shut down is almost impossible nowadays. But yeah, it was well-used. I reconnected it to power, but these problems still.

Also noticed, sound stops sometimes. My connection is over 90 Mbps and Ethernet is udes - so should be really no problems. Any alternatives here? It is legend to play techno music bass boosted for year and more, it plays still - only these problems at time.

/// Works now, rebooted cable modem, speaker and mobile phone, now it plays instantly and no problems.

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey there.

This works now after that hard-reboot. No problems at all for time.

I swear, I can almost fly... Need always SMA1 by my side.

Now playing: Cascada - Everytime We Touch (Radio Edit) - Hands Up! music legend.

SUGGESTED POSTS