Announcements
It looks like all’s running smoothly again! Get more info over here.

Search/Radio based on Genre

Solved!

Search/Radio based on Genre

Darkfreak

When you search for "Classic Rock" in both search and spotify radio you get songs, artists, albums and playlists.

But no genres.

Wouldn't it be great if you could search for genres and create radiostations based on genres (other then the few pre-defined genres in the radio).

I, for one, would love to be able to create a Classic Rock or 90's Alternative radiostation other then the "normal" Rock and 90's stations.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Search/Radio based on Genre

Richard
Roadie

It was previously possible to create a station based on a particular genre but this was removed when we rebuilt the Radio. Hopefully we can convince the devs to put it back though.

And I agree that it could be easier to search genres. For now I'd recommend using all the apps and so on to help discover new music. Try out the Soundrop app for example.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

View solution in original post

Solution!

user-removed
Not applicable

To searchbar:

genre:euro-dance

etc. 🙂

Solution!

krikelin
Community Legend

You are wrong here. There IS genre selection, obvisiouly placed at the bottom. Scroll to the bottom and you find radio buttons of various genres!

spotify_genres.png

7 Replies

Richard
Roadie

You can search for genres in Spotify, using the 'genre:Folk' (for instance) search. 

See this blog post with all the details. The GoogleDoc doesn't have 'Classic Rock' listed but there's plenty of other rock sub-genres that should cover your tastes.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Darkfreak

While that may be true, you still can't create a radiostation based on a genre you like.

I can't open the radio and create "genre:soul" for example.

And yes, by searching for the genre you could just play the first song and let it play every track in that list.

But it's still different from opening the radio, entering "Soul" (Or genre: soul) and hit enter.

If that's a stupid request then nvm this post 🙂

Also:

A genre like classic rock should be there imo, so I might as well add a feature request to add a classic rock genre, haha.

Solution!

Richard
Roadie

It was previously possible to create a station based on a particular genre but this was removed when we rebuilt the Radio. Hopefully we can convince the devs to put it back though.

And I agree that it could be easier to search genres. For now I'd recommend using all the apps and so on to help discover new music. Try out the Soundrop app for example.

Solution!

user-removed
Not applicable

To searchbar:

genre:euro-dance

etc. 🙂

Solution!

krikelin
Community Legend

You are wrong here. There IS genre selection, obvisiouly placed at the bottom. Scroll to the bottom and you find radio buttons of various genres!

spotify_genres.png

Darkfreak

Thats just a pre-difined selection while Spotify has much. much more genres than that 😮 😛

Richard
Roadie

Thanks for the clarification 

SUGGESTED POSTS