Sharing with non-Facebook friends?

Solved!

Sharing with non-Facebook friends?

LMS928
Casual Listener

Is there a way to share a playlist with someone who is a Spotify member but not Facebook? Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Sharing with non-Facebook friends?

Peter__
Community Legend

@seanpdcrean wrote:

Sorry but i dont understand what you mean. I am trying to find my friend milkybottom so what would i type in to the spotify search bar please? Thanks

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

Copy and paste this into the main Spotify search box on the desktop client and then hit enter:

spotify:user:milkybottom

that should open your friends profile.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

14 Replies

Taylor
Community Legend

Hi, and welome to the community!

Yep :)

If you go to the sotify search bar and search spotify:user:username replacing username with the your friends UN, it should bring up their profile. You can then follow them from there, and share playlists with them through Spotify.

Anthony :)

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

LMS928
Casual Listener

Thanks! 

seanpdcrean
Casual Listener

Sorry but i dont understand what you mean. I am trying to find my friend milkybottom so what would i type in to the spotify search bar please? Thanks

Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend

@seanpdcrean wrote:

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

Copy and paste this into the main Spotify search box on the desktop client and then hit enter:

spotify:user:milkybottom

that should open your friends profile.

Peter

Peter

seanpdcrean
Casual Listener

Thanks Pierre, muchos gracias amigo:-)

DMT1
Casual Listener

Greetings. I've been a premium subscriber for two years.

I cannot tell you how upset I was when Spotify changed their "sharing" options to "following".

I used to be able to simply drag a song over to the "favorite people" bar when I wanted to share music with my wife or close friends.

Then Spotify eliminated the Favorites bar. It was changed it so thatI had to "RIGHT CLICK - click share - type in person's name - click or TAB - click send"

If that wasn't bad enough, now Spotify has changed it so when I type in my wife's name it doesn't even find her because you've eliminated my favorite people list. So now I have to "follow" anyone to whom I want to send music? What if I don't want my feed clogged with a bunch of that nonsense? What if I don't want to have to individually go find everyone's user name?

And now this garbage about typing in "spotify:user:<handlename.>"

Are you serious?

If I wanted to have to code, I would fire up my Web site editor... Spotify has succeeded in making sharing music about as difficult as possible, short of me having to physically driving over to my friend's house and plugging my iPhone into his sound dock.

Peter__
Community Legend

I know its not ideal, but I have written a new tutorial on all of the methods of finding your friends in Spotify here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Tutorial-Finding-Friends-All-Methods/bc-p/423...

The new follow system is better designed in my opinion, since your feed now only shows activity which you want to see rather than all of your Facebook friends. The loss of favourites is a bit of a pain, but once you have manually followed them again you should not need to do it again. 

Peter

Peter

DMT1
Casual Listener

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I - like most people - have more than 6 Facebook friends.

The only way I can find my friend is if I SPECIFICALLY KNOW his username or if I get lucky enough for him to show up in the "Find Facebook Friends on Spotify" feature?

I have no idea what everyone else chooses for their username!

Do the Spotify software engineers even use the service?!?!?!?

BRING FAVORITES BACK

MAKE FINDING MY FRIENDS EASIER

wshannon

I figured out how to find my non-Facebook friends from the instructions (thanks by the way) from a PC.  Is there a way to find non-Facebook friends from the iPhone app?  I tried to search for the same friend, but nothing comes up.

SUGGESTED POSTS