So I think it's not entirely impossible to use gifs as playlist covers...

Highlighted

So I think it's not entirely impossible to use gifs as playlist covers...

Music Fan

While searching the internet on how to use gifs or animated pngs as playlist covers/profile pictures I came to an answer pretty fast: It doesn't work. Everywhere I looked it was the same answer:

Spotify only supports jpeg files. You can't animate a jpeg file as it won't support multiple layers and so on. Therefore you can only use static images.

But then I stumbled upon this playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/user/kentspotifyvip/playlist/4E5VH90ld1k2mjRT9xau85?si=An9JYMS9SKmcqTpQ2sQf...

This is so far the only playlist that uses an actual animated file. If there are more please let me know!

I've tried everything to somehow convert a gif I want to use to a file that spotify accepts.

Then I came across this profile which uses an animated profile picture:

https://open.spotify.com/user/possan?si=dT6TCIIVRpGtUix9X6DZ8Q

This got me thinking that there is a way to either trick spotify into thinking it's a jpeg while in reality it's some animated file or to completely bypass the file check.

All I want to do is using a gif for a playlist cover. Could anyone help me out? What do you think about those links I've posted? Do you got any other profiles/playlists that contain animations?

4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: So I think it's not entirely impossible to use gifs as playlist covers...

Casual Listener

Thanks, good to know.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Bump

Highlighted

Bump

Highlighted

Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17

Hey guys

That's really interesting!

While I myself wouldn't go for using animations in playlist covers or profile images, it does make me interested in how they managed to bypass that.

This user with glitchy profile image is apparently a regular user (no "Verified" mark that artists would have) and their profile image is a giphy gif. The source image for their profile pic is a giphy url.
Normally it would be stored on either some Spotify servers or taken from facebook servers. You can't upload an url...

The playlist cover image seems as if it had been uploaded as a normal jpeg file, at least judging by the source address.

I guess there was a time where some users figured out how to manipulate Spotify file detectors and successfully use gif files. Judging by the number of such users and playlists present, it's now either made impossible or is a well-guarded secret. 🙂

(Spotify file detector is smart enough to reject gif files with jpeg as their extension)

SebastyRock Star 17
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
SUGGESTED POSTS