Announcements

Spotify-Thieves

Solved!

Spotify-Thieves

Macleane
Casual Listener
In a nutshell. Signed up for free premium trial on Spotify on a whim, entered my details and pressed submit. I got a message saying please try again later. This happened twice so I gave up.

I have not been back on since and now they have taken 2x£9.99 payments out of my account. Imagine my disbelief!!

Fair enough at their end, they must think the transaction went through and got hold of my details in the process BUT they're refusing to give me my money back!

I've never felt so angry. I've been robbed of my account details and charged, all behind my back.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Spotify-Thieves

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

I've sent this thread to Spotify staff. I'm hoping someone can help you out soon. 

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Solution!

Richard
Roadie
I'll be in touch by email. Thanks.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

11 Replies

Marco
Community Legend

Heya!

If you say they refuse to give your money back, did you actually try to contact them via the official online support?

If not, just head over to the Customer Online Support, they will handle this issue and refund you.

When you get an automated reply, just answer directly to it and they will get back to you within 48 hours.

Macleane
Casual Listener
Thank you for replying. I have already contacted Spotify customer online report and they're refusing to give me my money back. When I realised that £9.99 had been taken out of my account for Spotify premium, I naturally loaded up Spotify to see if it was true. Apparently because I signed in, I am not entitled to a refund. I've never been so angry.

Peter__
Community Legend

@Macleane wrote:
Thank you for replying. I have already contacted Spotify customer online report and they're refusing to give me my money back. When I realised that £9.99 had been taken out of my account for Spotify premium, I naturally loaded up Spotify to see if it was true. Apparently because I signed in, I am not entitled to a refund. I've never been so angry.

Unfortunately there is not much else community support can do here 😞 

It is stated in the T&C's that you agree to when you subscribe, under section 12 that you are not eligable for a refund if you signed in and used the service, therefore I am guessing from a legal point of view Spotify are within their rights to do this. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Read what he said.

"I got a message saying please try again later. This happened twice so I gave up."

The website wasn't working correctly and he didn't think it went through.

He knew it went through when he looked at his bill. 

MattSudaRock Star 24

Macleane
Casual Listener

@Mattjsrules wrote:

Read what he said.

"I got a message saying please try again later. This happened twice so I gave up."

The website wasn't working correctly and he didn't think it went through.

He knew it went through when he looked at his bill. 

Yes, this is exactly what happend.

Update: I went into my bank to see if they could refund the charges but they couldn't as it is set up as a transaction payment and not as a direct debit. They forwarded me onto their fraud department (which also deals with non-fraud cases) and I explained to them the situation. The women could not seem to understand that it wasn't simply a case of 'I started a free trial and forgot to cancel it'. Which really wound me up - I tried to explain it to her several times but she kept saying "Well if you sign up to a free trial..." which my response became more and more heated: "I never signed up to a free trial! I only attempted to and it didn't work to the best of my knowledge!" But she just didn't seem to understand and fobbed me off to trading standards.

The guy at trading standards seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and has probably dealt with similiar cases before. He told me how to best deal with the matter but it is a long winded process that would still inevitably still bring me no joy.

So, I have had £20 taken from my account because Spotify's server was down but the process was still able to take my account details. I never used my spotify account (purely by chance) again until I signed in to see that it HAD indeed become a premium account. If I had used it by chance any earlier - then I could have cancelled it before I started getting charged for it.

I never recieved a confirmation email or any other sort of notification from Spotify other than generic messages like "One of your friends created a new play-list" etc etc

It is the whole principle that annoys me. The fact that they can take my money for a service I never knew I had and never even used and despite my best efforts there seems to be nothing I can do about it. Still furious!

Solution!

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

I've sent this thread to Spotify staff. I'm hoping someone can help you out soon. 

MattSudaRock Star 24

Solution!

Richard
Roadie
I'll be in touch by email. Thanks.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Macleane
Casual Listener

@Mattjsrules wrote:

Thank you so much for your help. I have just received an email from Richard at Spotify - they will be refunding the charges and they appologised. If it wasn't for your help I might have never got this sorted.

Thank you to Richard and the Spotify staff also. They were always very pleasant and swift with their responces. No hard feelings!

Thanks again!

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

You're welcome! 😃

I contribute here in the Spotify forums a lot.

We're here to help and we are sorry this happened!

MattSudaRock Star 24
SUGGESTED POSTS