Spotify crashes while syncing with iPod shuffle

Solved!
Highlighted

Spotify crashes while syncing with iPod shuffle

user-removed
Not applicable

Hi,

so, my problem is that Spotify crashes while syncing with iPod shuffle.

Spotify - latest 

iPod - latset model with fw 1.0.2

OSX 10.9.2

How to reproduce the problem:

1. Start Spotify

2. Select iPod (spotify will immediadely start syncing whatever it wants - very annoying)

3. Try to choose  "manual syncing"

4. Eventually Spotify will crash (within 10s)

5. Typically when you start Spotfy again, iPod device shows blank window rendering sync functionality unusable.

Once I was lucky to manually sync my playlists, but then I found duplicate playlists that contained only local files (no spotify music).

PS. A popup window that displays warning "We will have to erase your iPod in order to sync" sometimes is unresponsive. Clicking buttons does not do anything.

Thanks,

Gintas

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Spotify crashes while syncing with iPod shuffle

Peter__
Community Legend
This has been an issue for a very long time, I've found you have to leave it on "sync all" until it either syncs everything or runs out of space and gives you an error. Then you can change it to sync manually (and remove any content you don't want).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend

@Memma80 wrote:

Hi

I am having exactly the same problem. I have a brand new iPod shuffle, I've got my free one month trial of Spotify Premium, I have created my running playlist and thought I'd sync'd it, went for my run this morning and found I had 3 tracks on my new iPod- not great on a 10k / 55 minute run! 

Any help to overcome this problem would be welcome! Unless I can sort this out, dont think I'll be carrying on with my Premium spotify account once the free bit ends.....

You can't sync any content from the Spotify catalogue to an iPod nano/shuffle/classic/mini, Spotify will only sync local files you already own just like iTunes. 

To listen to Spotify content, you need a device that supports the Spotify app like an iPod Touch. 

Peter

Solution!

Waferrr
Casual Listener

How to stop the crashing:

1. go to My Computer and open up your iPod
  2. go to file options and turn on view hidden files
  3. right click on ipod control and click properties
  4. uncheck hidden and write only, a dialog box will come up
  5. choose do this to all subfolders
  6. open spotify.

19 Replies
Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend
This has been an issue for a very long time, I've found you have to leave it on "sync all" until it either syncs everything or runs out of space and gives you an error. Then you can change it to sync manually (and remove any content you don't want).

Peter

user-removed
Not applicable

Thanks Peter.

I saw some relevant threads, but intentionally created a possible dulicate to raise this question again. 

Surprising, how slow can be the response, considering this is a commercial product.

Memma80
Casual Listener

Hi

I am having exactly the same problem. I have a brand new iPod shuffle, I've got my free one month trial of Spotify Premium, I have created my running playlist and thought I'd sync'd it, went for my run this morning and found I had 3 tracks on my new iPod- not great on a 10k / 55 minute run! 

Any help to overcome this problem would be welcome! Unless I can sort this out, dont think I'll be carrying on with my Premium spotify account once the free bit ends.....

Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend

@Memma80 wrote:

Hi

You can't sync any content from the Spotify catalogue to an iPod nano/shuffle/classic/mini, Spotify will only sync local files you already own just like iTunes. 

To listen to Spotify content, you need a device that supports the Spotify app like an iPod Touch. 

Peter

Memma80
Casual Listener

Hi Peter

thanks - i didnt' realise that. When i have a bit more time I'll look into it. 

Emma

user-removed
Not applicable

"You can't sync any content from the Spotify catalogue to an iPod nano/shuffle/classic/mini, Spotify will only sync local files you already own just like iTunes. "

Well, I can upload Spotify's playlists on iPod shuffle. Unfortunately I managed to sync Spotify with iPod only once.

66beverly
Casual Listener

Exact same problem here.  Spotify defaults to "sync all" instantly.  Even if f I quickly click over to "manual" and select the one playlist I want to downlaod, Spotify crashes.  There should be a way to pre-select the method, and the playlists, that you want to sycn, and also to cancel the sync once it starts.  

I'm not sure I can agree with the idea that you can only sync content you already own locally, because when I did manage to manually download, I got 13 out of 93 songs, most of which I do not own in iTunes.  It was a random assortment.

I signed up for Premium to enjoy the sync feature, and this renders it pretty much useless for me.

Peter__
Community Legend
I've found the only way to stop the crashing issue is to let the sync go to completion (it will either complete or stop due to running out of space). Once that happens, I can swap it over to manual and remove any content I don't want.

Peter

bleach182

Thank you for answering this. I knew this awhile back, but I bought a new computer and completely forgot that this is how I fixed the problem lol.

SUGGESTED POSTS