Announcements

Spotify for Android closes connection with TCP RST

Highlighted

Spotify for Android closes connection with TCP RST

Hi,

We are analysing how Spotify uses TCP connections as part of a research work and we found some unexpected behaviours. In particular, we found that Spotify on Android closet the TCP connection with the Reset option.

This is the setup:

The device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Android OS v. 4.1.2 (Firmware version 3.0.31-805288) connected to Internet WiFi (throughput at 31.6Mb/s).

We are testing Spotify for Android automatically by instrumenting the Smartphone. We are controlling Spotify using UI Automator.

We instrument the table to play 69 songs, and in 13 cases we found the same problem: Spotify starts downloading the song and closes the connection in only a few seconds. Then Spotify open a new TCP connection an successfully download the son. Some examples of songs are demons, needed me, all in my head, some one like you, hands to my self, or da power.

The attached wireshark screen shows the last packets in one of the unsuccessful trial with demons,

We should be grateful if you can provide an explanation. We think that some timeout in Spotify for Android provokes the client to closet he connection  but we need to confirm. Is this a frequent behaviour of the application? It is due to a misconfiguration of the tablet?

Captura de pantalla 2017-01-06 a las 22.39.29.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-01-06 a las 22.39.29.png
SUGGESTED POSTS