Staying current

1 person liked this

Staying current

judye86
Gig Goer

Hi!

Welcome to new members of the community

I'm checking in to keep my subscription active.

I've just now made it my goal for today to listen to all the albums released by 30 Seconds to Mars.

So thanks for that, very much!

Also, a tidbit for 'my' generation:  another new obsession is listening to recordings of Jack Kerouac reading his poetry accompanied by a bongo drum; it's pure MUSIC, not 'readings.' I doubt there' anything from him resembling some singles or an album. I also saw 'Kill Your Darlings' (new movie) a few months ago, and the 'On the Road' movie.  I'm seeing beeline connections with my personal life, and with the cultural roots I'm becoming active and current with, yet again. Had a major epiphany the day of the Beatles special on CBS. Kerouac's small circle of friends had been searching for a label to identify the new writing style (and the ideology and  the more obvious cultural markers) that was taking root. One of them told Alan Ginsberg, before he headed west, that they were going to call it 'Beat,' I'm sure in acknowledgement of Kerouac's 'music.'

And then.......there were Beatles.

I'm so in love with this stuff.  To my knowledge, there aren't historical writings of all this. (If there are, please don't deluge me!)

And here I just meant to check in!

Happy Saturday!

8 Replies

Re: Staying current

Adam
Roadie

Oh wow, I had no idea stuff like this was on Spotify:

Jack Kerouac – Leavin' Town

To be honest, I didn't even know Kerouac wrote poetry until right now, although I guess it's hardly surprising. So much of his prose was already poetry...

I woke up as the sun was reddening; and that was the one distinct time in my life, the strangest moment of all, when I didn't know who I was - I was far away from home, haunted and tired with travel, in a cheap hotel room I'd never seen, hearing the hiss of steam outside, and the creak of the old wood of the hotel, and footsteps upstairs, and all the sad sounds, and I looked at the cracked high ceiling and really didn't know who I was for about fifteen strange seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

judye86
Gig Goer

THANKS!!!

You're totally right, he says in 'Sunday on McDougal Street' that everyone thinks he's writing poetry & he's not, it's prose. He really rags on the wannabes with their black berets & paintbrushes, he just rips them to shreds, effortlessly.  The piece is accompanied by multi-bongos and shots of NYC being ugly & barren.  He can't stand the people who think they're having a good time & doing something 'real.'  You gotta love it.

Thanks SO much for the spotifuggle link!!!!!

And then Ginsburg became the poet, of course.

He lived 2 blocks down the hill from me on Potrero Hill, there were a couple of coffee houses in North Beach - Vesuvio's, I think, and the bookstore that published & sold 'Howl,' and - I think - Cafe Tries.  The Free Press Bookstore???

Point being we all thought it'd be that way forever, we took it for granted.

But we OWNED it.

Maybe Kerouac would've hated us by then, too.

Thanks very, very much!

judye86
Gig Goer

Adam,

Thank you so much, again.

It reads just like music, doesn't it?  You can't even read it or say it any other way.

"And I think about Tom Moriarty.  I   think   about   Tom   Moriarty."

Last 2 sentences of 'On the Road.'

PS: I think the movie "On the Road" is better than not having it, but also misses a bunch - of levels - and the end, where Tom is strung out & all he can think of to do is to go to NYC & see Saul (?) - & the narrator is wearing a suit, going to a bar with friends wearing suits, & blows off Tom like he doesn't remember who he is - that's just all WRONG.

'Kill Your Darlings' is great & probably fairly authentic.  2013.  Dane DeHaan, Daniel Radcliffe, Michael C. Hall.  I mean, it's way beyond great.  Fabulous performance by DeHaan, should have gotten way more critical attention, didn't even play at the various film festivals. I don't think.

Thank you very much!!!!

DeHaan, truly the Golden Boy for the Millenials, is now shooting a thing where he plays James Dean.

And the beat, the BEAT, goes on....

pnc
Community Legend

Wo. I really love On The Road but totally have no idea that Jack was on Spotify. You made my day!

And yeah, the movie ruined the whole thing.

Dont foget to KUDOS if you think this post helpful :)

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

judye86
Gig Goer

How do I add you?

judye86

judye86
Gig Goer

You HAVE to see Kill Your Darlings.

Highlighted
1 person liked this

pnc
Community Legend

haha, you can add me searching spotify:user:pnc89

Dont foget to KUDOS if you think this post helpful :)

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

judye86
Gig Goer

I still don't get it.

Can't you just add me?

SUGGESTED POSTS