Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stranges voices/ads playing during songs and while spotify is in the background

Stranges voices/ads playing during songs and while spotify is in the background

Hello!

Kinda new here, and while I do use the free version & do realise that there will be the occasional ad between songs- this is just strange!

I'm hearing voices...seriously. Short snippets of talking of what some sound like "how to" insurance videos, college interests, and other weird "hello I'm blahblahblah from such&such." These play DURING the song and in the background while spotify is not even playing.

It was guite embarrasing when I tried to play netlfix for a group of people and someone starts talking about their thigh liposuction in the background O.o. 

Has this been happening to anyone else? Or is this just the norm for the free version? Ive had it for a few months and this started a couple of weeks ago. Thanks in advance!!!

-Kaity

19 Replies

Hey Kaity! Welcome to the community 🙂 

I havent't seen any other reports of this behaviour here on the community, so its definitely strange. If they are playing when Spotify is not, it is possible its a flash advert somewhere, but are you 100% sure its coming from Spotify? 

I would suggest you try a quick clean reinstallation of the client and see if that fixes it.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This has been happening to me too and it's extremely frustrating. I also am just a free user- but along with the ads inbetween songs, these random video ads will play over my songs and the only way to turn them off is to click on them. I understand that's whole point of an ad, but why use Spotify if I can't listen to the music? 

Also, I'm experiencing what you said where the ad plays even if I'm not using Spotify...not cool!

I tried a reinstall and that hasn't helped...if there's anything else I can try please let me know! 

Hi Pian0_135,

Sorry I never closed or wrote the answer to my topic.

So here's what happened with mine,

It turned out that I had a nasty virus that was a combo of a google redirect and another that caused those strange background radio shows and ad sounds.

I had to take it to an IT guy, and he practically had to restore my whole computer to it's factury beginings.

So we may or may not be having the same issue.

But mine is resolved now, & it didn't have anything to do with spotify.

Hope it helped rule out something!

Definitely get an expert if you notice the sounds when you turn you computer on, and you know for certain that nothing else is running in the background that you pulled up. It certainly was creepy.

-Kaity

@Pian0_135 - As far as I know there should not be any banner ads in Spotify that auto-play sound. What company was it advertising?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Peter wrote:
@Pian0_135 - As far as I know there should not be any banner ads in Spotify that auto-play sound. What company was it advertising?

All banner ads that play have no option to turn the sound off.  The only way to get them to stop is to click on them, and even then some would continue to play over the song. I can't name them all, but right now the ad that just came on over my song was one for "Catch-Phrase" and clicking on the banner didn't stop the ad. ( I get a Toyota Camry ad a lot too). It probably is something on my end then. I guess for now I'll just have to listen online and let AdBlock do it's thing.

Thanks for  the suggestions guys!

I had the same problemGenerateur de credits fifa 15

I have a similar problem too. I can hear another song playing in the background on and off. It is definitely coming from Spotify because I don't experience any of this kind on iTune or YouTube.

I'm also experiencing this! It sounds like I'm picking up a police radio scanner or something along those lines? It happens occasionally when songs are playing, but never when a song is paused. Definitely creepy. 

Note: I do use the web player (not the app), but I have the premium/ad-free version. 

I am having the same problem with a file called textiles.exe constantly and randomly playing ads very loud when I am least expecting it. this also happens when all tabs are closed. I have deleted Spotify and it still does it. In fact, it's playing an ad in my ear as I'm typing this.this wasn't a problem until I downloaded Spotify. my computer isn't allowing me to delete this file either so I hear this all the time now. It's becoming very annoying and I can't enjoy my life of gaming. And I'm not as interested in downloading it again. I have it on a different device. All I ask is that you would help me.

I am using the ad-free version.

I'm having the same problem! It's really distracting becuase I use Spotify with Beats when I do work, so it's really noticable. Right this instant is a car commercial or something. I know it's spotify because it only happens when it's open and only stops when I close it. Even when spotify is the only thing open it happens. I use spotify premium on a family plan so this is really disappointing and maddening when you're trying to be productive. 

Yes, it is really very annoying and this problem persisted after brought the issue to Spotify attention. They advised me to uninstall and reinstall the App but even that did not able to solve the problem and I was so fed-up with it that I finally unsub my premium and nowno longer using Spotify.

Im lisentning some strange phrases in russian between songs... I dont know what they sai , but not looks like advertising... looks like a hacker practical joke ... 

I'm listening too phrases in russian between songs... 

Just been having same issue on my ipad plus unable to use ‘search’ function any more so am worried i have a virus as well. Will double check on my iphone first. You're right...very spooky.

Same here

Hey @AprilGAMING300,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for keeping us posted on this.

Could you let us know which device this is happening on? Is it present on any other devices you have? Be sure to send us the make, model and the version of the operating system so we can investigate further.

I'd be helpful if you tell us what troubleshooting steps you've already tried so we can avoid repeating them.

If you're using a VPN service, we'd recommend turning it off for a while to see if that makes a difference.

Keep us in the loop!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This just happened to me. In the middle of a Doors song called "Love Street" I was playing on spotify on my internet radio show a man said in a deep voice "Do it!". My tablet was off-line, the playlist was pre downloaded and no other apps were open. No other source was plugged into the mixing board. Kinda creepy. I assume it was captured/recorded because the show gets recorded for later podcast versions.**bleep**

i have the same problem, thought i was going crazy honestly

Today while listening to Spotify, it was repeating the phrase "Keep it down, don't alert the humans". It did it about 10 times. I was listening on an Echo device and the ring was rotating like it was getting a command. I told it to skip to the next song and it was ok for a minute, then the same. I finally told it to stop playing. When I resumed a few minutes later, it did not come back.

Suggested posts