Announcements

Top List in other countries?

Top List in other countries?

When I look at the "Top 100" list for say France, Portugal, or Hong Kong, there's not a single song in that country's native language or by local artists. 

I can't believe that there's not a single song in France/Portugal/Hong Kong that's sung in French/Portugese/Cantonese by a local artist that's popular with the local Spotify community.

Can anyone explain the lack of non-American performers on Spotify?

Thank you!

4 Replies

Re: Top List in other countries?

Community Legend

The top lists are actually updated from play data so they should be accurate. Why are you assuming that French subscribers only listen to French music sung in French?

A quick look at the top tracks for France shows a fair few French bands:

I also see local tracks in the Hong Kong list so I'm not sure why you are making such a sweeping statement.

Regular

I am also confused about how the top lists for different countries are populated.

is it source=country/(IP address), most played songs from that source?.

or are there more variables included?

Community Legend

I would guess that it is most likely to be based on users' spotify country, as shown in their account overview, rather than IP geolocation but its just a guess. Maybe someone else knows for certain.

Community Legend
Pretty sure it goes by registered profile countries, the best people to ask are @SpotifyCares on twitter if you want a definitive answer. 🙂

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

SUGGESTED POSTS