Using same account on 2 iphones

Solved!
Highlighted

Using same account on 2 iphones

Casual Listener

Can I use my account on two different iphones as well as my Macbook Pro laptop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: Using same account on 2 iphones

Community Legend

@debidek wrote:

Thanks.  So if my husband uses our account (streams) while traveling using his iphone,  I can not be streaming at the exact same time?  Is that what you are saying?  I do have a premium account.

That is correct, since Spotify accounts are only licensed for personal usage, technically you and your husband should have an account each so if he starts listening on his iPhone, playback will be paused on yours since your account is being used elsewhere. It is possible to get around this by using offline playlists and then forcing the application into offline mode, but that in itself is not ideal (since you can only listen to offline playlists) and it doesn't always work!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted

Community Legend

Hey 🙂 

Yes you can, however be aware that Spotify usage on an iPhone (and any mobile device) requires a premium subscription (unless you are in the US in which case mobile radio is free). You can sign in and use your Spotify account on as many devices as you like. If you have premium, you can store offline playlists on 3 devices, with a maximum of 3,333 offline tracks per device. 

You can also only ever stream on one device at any given time, since Spotify accounts are only licensed for personal usage and you can't be in two places at once 😛 

Peter

Peter

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Thanks.  So if my husband uses our account (streams) while traveling using his iphone,  I can not be streaming at the exact same time?  Is that what you are saying?  I do have a premium account.

Highlighted
Solution!

Community Legend

@debidek wrote:

That is correct, since Spotify accounts are only licensed for personal usage, technically you and your husband should have an account each so if he starts listening on his iPhone, playback will be paused on yours since your account is being used elsewhere. It is possible to get around this by using offline playlists and then forcing the application into offline mode, but that in itself is not ideal (since you can only listen to offline playlists) and it doesn't always work!

Peter

Peter

View solution in original post

Casual Listener

you cannot use account on 2 devices at same time,i just tried it. sorry.

Highlighted

If both phones are "offline", both phones can use spotify at the same time.

If one phone is "offline" and the other is "online", both phones can use spotify at the same time.

If both phones are "online", only one user can use spotify at a time.

I tested this using a computer and a phone.

When the phone was online and playing music; when I played music on the computer, the phone paused. When I played the music from the phone, the computer paused.

When the phone was offline an playing music, I could listen to music on both the phone and the laptop at the same time.

Why can't Spotify be like Netflix; allow multiple users at the same time to a limit, such as 2 (Netflix is 3).

Highlighted

Community Legend
@MarsicanoK - It is unfortunately down to the licensing agreements Spotify has with the rights holders for the content.

You can however now set up family plans which give you discount on extra accounts.

Peter

Highlighted

Thanks to this limitation I just discovered how good Amazon Prime music is! Playlists are great and I already pay for it for the free shipping. And it at least warns you of the multiple streaming limitation. 

Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

Except Amazon Prime doesn't have the library yet that Spotify does.

SUGGESTED POSTS