Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What does this red dot next to my “name” mean and how do I address the notification?

What does this red dot next to my “name” mean and how do I address the notification?

FC1C3914-7BF2-4551-B0AC-C7DA09985AE1.png

7 Replies

Hey @greek2me, help’s here! 

It looks like that is a profile picture based on your username. You can edit your profile picture with these steps: https://newsroom.spotify.com/2020-03-10/how-to-customize-and-share-your-spotify-profile/. Let me know if that helps! 🙂

Have a good one,

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the reply 😀

I’m confused though. I’m asking about the red dot with the number 1 in it (next to the string of numbers that is my Spotify “name”). That doesn’t seem to be a placeholder for a profile pic at all.

It looks like a message notification or an alert. I can’t tap on it on mobile. I also can’t find it on the web site.

What does it mean? It’s annoying and I want it to go away. It just popped up in the last few days.

Hey again!

Hmm, I get why you could be confused here, but this should disappear when you edit your profile picture with the steps from my previous reply! Your current profile picture seems to be based on your username; which starts with a '1'; so that's why it might show that. Let me know how you get on!

Have a good one,

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star

Hey @greek2me 

Sorry for the confusion.

Before now, Spotify showed a profile picture next to the author name of the playlist if they had one uploaded, and did not show one if there there was no profile picture uploaded for that user.

However with the introduction of the new collaborative playlist design as announced in the link here, even if you don't have a profile image uploaded, it will create a generic one for you based on the first letter or number of your display name. You can always change your display name so a different generic picture will be shown, or you can upload your own profile picture with whatever image you would like. This update makes it easier to see the different users in the playlist UI especially when it is a collaborative playlist.

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2020-09-29/how-to-make-a-collaborative-playlist/

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hi, greek2me

Beside you not having a profile picture, I believe the reason that it shows all the numbers, instead of your username, is because of not using Spotify very much. I read about it, or someone told me about it, a long while back.

I hope that helps. If so, would you add this as a solution?

Follow me

Making this 'default' profile pic red is a design mistake. Make it black! Make it ANYTHING but a number. Or, remove it all together.

It couldn't be removed, because it's what all profiles have, and it's a placeholder for a profile picture. If it were removed, and you were to be on a collaborative playlist, nobody would be able to tell who added the songs that you did. I don't know why the color, which is actually orange (from what I see) is bothering you, but it could've possibly bothered you, if it was a different color. If you just upload a profile picture of your choice, which you can even do from a mobile device. you'll probably be happy, since it will replace the colored circle. You might be able to fix your username, too.

Follow me

Suggested posts