Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What's the difference between "save" music and "add to playlist?"

Solved!

What's the difference between "save" music and "add to playlist?"

This new "save" feature seems redundant.  The only difference I can tell is that it alphabatizes the music I save.  Also, if I download an album to offline listening as a playlist it doesn't transfer over to my "saved" music.  Why not? 

37 Replies

After i make playlists why does it say download full

Referring to the topic, since the "save" and "add to playlist" are two different systems will the same song be saved twice to those systems and stored to my phone or PC twice,  occupying twice the storage space or will it be just one file stored in my PC or phone?

I am just curious if the duplicate songs that are present in every "playlist" and "save" systems are saved multiple times since those are two different systems, as mentioned before.

Thanks in advance!

If you don't have premium, is the saved music limit less? I was trying to go through all my playlists and save them, but then it just wouldn't save anything anymore. It didn't give me an error message or a message of any kind, and im not even close to 10,000 songs.....

Both saved music and playlists can be available for offline listening, right? But I guess I should use Save Music if I want to save an entire album as a whole and Add to Playlist if I want to create a mix of individual songs from many different albums?

For example, my 80's Hits playlist has more than 100 songs from different albums in it, and if I use Save Music I end up with a clutter of albums with only one or two songs in each. (I now make my own playlists. I've stopped downloading entire playlists made by others because they always contain many songs I don't like and I have to keep skipping tracks.)

What happens if a song is downloaded individually in a playlist and the its album is also saved to music? Does it get downloaded twice, taking up twice the hard disk space?

So then what's the "Favorite" feature?  (Seems to only appear on "Daily Mix" playlists -- when launched, the shuffle button changes to a heart symbol with hover text "Favorite.")

So if I save and download in My Music and save and download in a playlist, is it saved twice?

this not solved.

what is the difference between SAVED and DOWNLOADED?

Can someone comment on the effect these 2 options have on recommendations? I was thinking perhaps "saving" songs to my library - vs thumbing it up in a radio station - would let the recommendation engine know that I like that song in general. 

I also assumed (incorrectly) that adding a song to a playlist would also add it to my library. 

What I'm really driving at is this. How can I, as a new spotify user, teach spotify what I like faster? 

It looks like at least one main difference is the ability to edit and arrange your Playlists, but only save and sort the songs in Your Music categories.

So I saved some albums when that STARRED feature changed before I realized what works best for me is Playlists. Instead of saving albums by a certain artists, I create new playlists of the albums, which I can then put into folders in the playlists sidebar to organize albums versus "mix-tapes" folders, etc. You can drag things around to the order you want, tho it's a little tedious if you are starting with a long list of playlists as I did before discovering you could move them and put them into folders.

So, there's at least a partial answer to what I think the original question is.(?)

thanks the reply,

Yes, because the Playlists are so useful, I see no need to use SAVE for
file organization. So, I cannot understand why it is offered.

However, I want to have more control over the Spotify algorithm that makes
Discover Weekly, Radar, and Daily Mixes. Now it is a black box.
Apparently,

- SAVE
- Download
- Make filelist

have something to do with the algorithm, but what exactly? If I knew that
SAVE influenced the algorithm, I would use SAVE. If I knew that SAVE and
Download doubled my the influence, I would do it.
So, what exactly is happening?

Why can't Spotify, just tell us, what is happening?

Now that Starring has disappeared, there appears to be no direct way to
influence the algorithm, telling it what songs I prefer, and what songs I
no longer prefer.

I really wish every track added to a PLAYLIST would automatically be added to MY MUSIC... kinda makes sense..no? ...becuause I have to save them to BOTH all the time 😞

is there a difference between content that is stored offline and the downloaded music? 

My husband likes to listen to symphonies on the TV using the Amazon Fire Stick and Spotify.  He has saved them as albums in his music but when he tries to play them they play the separate movements in random order, something that frustrates him.  For example, he was listening to the Beethoven Symphonies which he had saved as a single album and they were playing in wildly random order.  Should he create a playlist to preserve the order that they are played?  And how does he do that using the Amazon Fire Stick?  Thanks! 

Has there been a response to this? It seems completely broken that there are two systems - playlists and saved music. How do I search for a specific song or artist in my dozens of playlists? How can I randomly play my music across all my playlists? It makes no sense to make me save a song twice- one to a playlist and again to my songs. Also, has Spotify clarified whether or not the song is downloaded twice if it is saved in a playlist and saved in my songs?

I understand that my playlists and my music are separate systems (though this makes zero sense to me), but here’s my problem....now that I’ve created dozens of playlists, how do I search for a specific song  or artist that is in playlists? If you’re going to force me to have two separate “systems”, you need to give me the ability to search just my playlists! Also, if I save & download a song twice- to a playlist and to my songs - is the song downloaded twice?

If you add a song to a playlist, it is added to your music. If you look at your library, you'll see a list called "songs" and everything you've saved is on that list. Play it, shuffle it, or listen to radio bosed on it.

I'm just a very casual user. Maybe someone else will correct any errors in my reply.

Nope. A mystery, why they let all of us struggle with this. I want explicit control over the algorithm choosing new music; ie, to exactly mark and weight songs I like, and ones I don’t.

Suggested posts