Can I get some help with my Premium for Family plan?

Rorey
Spotify Legend

Answer:

If you've got a whole family of music-lovers, then you should check out Spotify's Premium for Family plan.

With this type of subscription, you can invite up to five family members and share one billing account whilst keeping your listening history, recommendations and playlists completely separate. 

To learn more about Premium for Family, click here.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

How am I charged?

Only the family plan owner will be charged the full subscription price every month. If you've joined as a member of the plan, then you won't be charged.

I want to upgrade to Family, but I'm already on a Premium subscription. How will I be charged?

If you're already a Premium user and you become the owner of a Family plan, any Premium time remaining on your old subscription will be converted to Premium for Family time. As a result, your billing date will be brought forward slightly. You can check your renewal date on the subscription page.

What happens if I cancel?

If you're the owner of the plan and you choose to cancel, all the members on the plan will revert back to the free subscription level at the end of your current billing cycle.

If you're a member of the plan and you want to leave it, you can do so by heading over to your account overview page here, selecting Subscription from the left side-bar menu, and then clicking Change or Cancel > Cancel Premium.

How do I add an additional member to my existing Family plan?

Easy! Just:

1. Go to your account page.
  2. Click Premium for Family in the menu on the left.
  3. Click SEND INVITE.
  4. Enter the email address of the person you want to invite and click SEND INVITE. A confirmation email will be sent to you when they accept the invite and are added to the plan.

What if I want to add a member who is already subscribed to Premium?

If they have a Premium subscription which they've made through iTunes or a mobile operator, they will first have to cancel that subscription before they can join the Family plan.

If they are on Premium and they signed up via Spotify directly, then they can join straightaway without canceling, and their other subscription will be paused. Bear in mind that any remaining Premium time on their old subscription will not be lost so that, if they decide to leave the Family plan, their old subscription will resume as normal. 

Can I add a member from another country to my Family plan?

Unfortunately not: all Family members must reside at the same address as the address which the Family plan owner selected when they signed up to the Family plan. So, if you're the plan's owner trying to add a member based in another country, you'll be unable to complete the invitiation process.

Do I lose any playlists when I convert to Premium for Family?

Not at all! All music and playlists under all of the accounts in the Family plan will remain exactly the same.

What are the restrictions on the members I can add to my plan?

To be added to your plan, a person must:

• reside at the same address as the address which the Family plan owner (you) selected when they signed up to the Family plan
  • meet the minimum age requirements in their respective country - you can look this up in our T&Cs here.

Can Premium for Family be used with any other offers?

If you're already on the Family plan, you won't be able to apply any other offers, including Premium for Students. The same goes for any Premium trials.

What happens if I move to a new address?

If you're the owner of the plan, you will have to change the address on your account. In order to do that, you must first cancel your subscription and wait to revert to our free service. You can then resubscribe to the plan, enter the new address, and reinvite the Family members.

For more info about Premium for Family, check out this article.

Didn't help? Search for more Spotify Answers, or create a new thread and ask the Community.