Spotify Community Blog

The Spotify Community

Introducing the Spotify Play Button

by Community Manager on ‎2012-04-11 12:07 PM - last edited on ‎2015-09-23 06:59 AM by Community Manager (4,631 Views)

Yesterday, we announced the Spotify Play Button, a wonderful new way of integrating Spotify content within blogs, websites and other social networks.

The Spotify Play Button is a simple yet extremely powerful music widget that makes it easier than ever to deliver all the world’s music to fans of your website or blog. Adding the Spotify Play Button to your Tumblr, website or social page will light it up with music in a flash and feature any song, album or playlist. To enjoy the tunes, all you have to do is hit Play. Totally free. Totally instant. Totally awesome.

For more information about the Spotify Play Button, check out our blog post and developer site.

Comments
by on ‎2012-04-11 01:36 PM

This comes very handy for my project Bungalow, which aims to be a open source framework for html5 apps, and should also be able to run simpler spotify apps

http://bitly.com/Hviv5T

by seagrape on ‎2012-04-11 04:14 PM

Are listeners required to have Spotify installed on their computer/phone to play shared music?

by on ‎2012-04-11 04:25 PM

Yes. Spotify is required.

by on ‎2012-04-11 06:48 PM

Love the widget!

by on ‎2012-04-11 06:58 PM

How the heck you added this??? Trying for hours now.

Another try...
by on ‎2012-04-11 07:00 PM

Wow, why this works now?

Another try... Sorry...

Can't believe. Who changed something in this Community? Now works.
by Community Manager on ‎2012-04-11 07:16 PM

Is the play button appearing broken for anyone else?

I may have made a community change which caused this.  I'd like to know if I'm the only one seeing this.

by on ‎2012-04-11 07:27 PM

Hey, I see normally this music box and play button.

For while I saw 404 error in music boxes.

by Community Manager on ‎2012-04-12 09:28 AM

The Spotify website was down for a few minutes last night.  It seems we were viewing the errors during that window.  

Don't hesitate to let us know if any of you guys experience any issues with the play button.  

by Actuzik ‎2012-04-19 09:49 AM - edited ‎2012-04-19 09:53 AM

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:user:1113573439:playlist:2tNXfMkEmDmJbigRzMXBmv" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe> 

I didn't manage to use the spotify play button on my facebook page ! Can someone help me ? What have I to do with this link ?

by Moderator ‎2012-04-19 09:54 AM - edited ‎2012-04-19 09:56 AM

Actuzik, try pasting the code in the HTML section of the reply box, rather than Rich Text.

Also, on Facebook where are you posting the code? Try just using the HTTP link instead.

by Actuzik on ‎2012-04-19 10:04 AM

When I try to post the Embed Code in the HTML section, this message appears :

" Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied. "

I don't understand because when I use the generator of Play Button and when I paste the URI code of my playlist, the preview seems OK !

On facebook, I posted the code as a statu in the box " Write something..." !

by Moderator on ‎2012-04-19 10:10 AM
Does the Facebook status box support HTML? I'm not sure if it does.
by Actuzik on ‎2012-04-19 10:29 AM

I'm not sure neither... So what can I do ?

by Moderator on ‎2012-04-19 10:33 AM
Well, copying a Spotify HTTP link into your status box will bring up a Facebook play button. Does that work for you?
by Actuzik on ‎2012-04-19 10:37 AM

Absolutely, that works this way...  Thanks for your help ! (and sorry for my bad English ! )

by Moderator on ‎2012-04-19 10:38 AM
No problem, I learnt something too here.
by on ‎2012-04-29 06:51 PM

When using Visual studio the play button does not work, causes Spotify to crash occasionally.

by ‎2012-05-02 04:33 PM - edited ‎2012-05-02 04:36 PM

Oh Spotify. You surprised me... Thank you for adding Get Embed Code to Spotify!!!

Let's try.

Also thank you for ability to Radio with selected Playlist. Good new feature I requested too.

But this Embed Music Box does not work anymore here in Community. "Please correct the highlighted errors and try again".

by chrisdq82 on ‎2012-05-02 08:16 PM

like it! will see if this works with my companies website

by andyc ‎2012-05-12 08:17 PM - edited ‎2012-05-12 08:19 PM

I've been unable to get Spotify Play to work.

I use Windows XP SP3, I.E.8 as browser and have a Free Spotify account.

I have updated Spotify too.

When I click play on an embedded playlist like is shown on this page:

http://www.nme.com/reviews/florence-and-the-machine/13011

a) it does play the track. b) It opens up my Spotify application (which it is NOT meant to do)

c) It still does show the track

Why is this?

Why can't it just play the song in the background like an embedded YouTube, Mp3 link or Soundcloud link does?

by Moderator on ‎2012-05-14 12:01 PM

Hey andyc, welcome to the Community.

That sounds like it's working to me. Clicking a play button will start playing the song in your Spotify, or open it up if it's currently closed. The benefit of this is that you're free to browse away to another website, or close your browser, without losing your track.

There isn't currently a 'web player' version of Spotify, so we can't embed the music into the page. I think that's what you meant, at least.

by andyc on ‎2012-05-14 03:11 PM

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply

In their report (http://www.nme.com/news/spotify/63167)  about the play feature NME said:

So this is a really cool new feature. It means that, from now on, when users read our album/track reviews, list features, or new band recommendations, they'll be able to stream the tracks instantly via Spotify, within NME.COM – without firing up the application, or opening a new window."

Well I find , It always Opens the Spotify application if it is closed 

I think it is my McAfee Antivirus software that has conflicting issues.

It asks me to either:

a) Allows b) Once Only or c) Block  ...when allowing incoming messages / communication.

I always answered b) Once Only.

This seems to be not enough.

MY SOLUTION = Choosing "Allows" Allow now lets me to play the Spotify tracks from websites

The checkbox is now ticked - Allow Spotify to be started from the web.

For me it does however need Spotify application to be OPEN which differs from what NME suggested

by jdub22cb on ‎2012-05-14 08:49 PM

Is there a way to pause in the embed, or do you have to go to your spotify application to stop the music?

by andyc on ‎2012-05-14 09:29 PM

Once Spotify opened you could pause and play within the Embed on the website 

by Moderator on ‎2012-05-15 08:26 AM

andyc wrote:

In their report (http://www.nme.com/news/spotify/63167)  about the play feature NME said:

So this is a really cool new feature. It means that, from now on, when users read our album/track reviews, list features, or new band recommendations, they'll be able to stream the tracks instantly via Spotify, within NME.COM – without firing up the application, or opening a new window." 

I think there might have been some confusion here. Just to be clear, Spotify will need to be open to play the tracks when clicking the play button. If it isn't open already, Spotify will be launched to play the song.

Any further questions just let us know, or check the official site here

by katsumii on ‎2012-05-28 04:33 AM

What an incredibly amazing widget. :-) Thank you.

by sjbsjbsjb on ‎2012-06-12 10:14 PM

Having to sign up for Spotify to use the play button makes it a definite deal breaker. When I visit blogs and websites, rarely do I find that I have to sign up for a service to use one of the blog's components. If I did, I wouldn't use the component and I definitely wouldn't go back to the blog. The play button is an excellent idea - the restrictions put upon using it erase the great idea that it was to begin with.

by Community Manager on ‎2012-06-13 08:44 AM

Having to sign up for Spotify to use the play button makes it a definite deal breaker.

In order for us to honor our licensing agreements, which allows Spotify to compensate artists for the music they create, folks will need to have Spotify to use the Play Button. 

by KarelMerge on ‎2012-07-11 04:19 PM

Hi!

I used the Play Button on my blog. Worked like a charm.

But not anymore...

I'm now getting the message: "Sorry, this Playlist is empty"..

For the Playlist that did work until today ànd for a new playlist.

What's up?

Cheers,

Karel

Username on Spotify: 1136292627

by adamstewart on ‎2012-07-11 09:32 PM

Me too! Please can someone help! :(

by katsumii on ‎2012-07-11 10:13 PM

@KarelMerge + adamstewart: Did you delete your playlist from your computer since?

My theory is that your playlist has been deleted, so the code you use to share it has become invalid.

by KarelMerge on ‎2012-07-12 08:25 AM

Nope, didn't delete anything. I even created a new playlist. It was working untill yesterday... 

On one moment it did work for a second, but then I refreshed the page and it was gone again.

But how do you delete a playlist from your computer? 

by KarelMerge on ‎2012-07-13 11:20 AM

It works again :)

I tweeted to @SpotifyCares they tweeted me back saying: "Hi there, this is likely a temporary issue and should be back to normal shortly /G"

And now it's working again :) So patience is the key :)

by Morosko on ‎2012-08-24 09:26 AM

hey everybody,
I'm using the playbutton on my website... works greats and it's really cool, but i want to link more than one playlist... is it's possible ?? :) would be great when the user could change playlist on the playbutton :D

by Shibner on ‎2012-10-25 03:30 PM

Is there a way to add the play button to a shutterfly web page?  If so How do I do this?

by Saschgo on ‎2013-05-22 07:22 PM

Yesterday I found the following Error:

There are songs appearing on my play button that have been removed from my playlists because they are no longer available in my country. Since they aren't on the playlist I can't remove them.... but they still appear on the play widget

see: http://www.saschgo.com/#!spotify/c1sd0 e.g. the first song by Keny Arkana on the Playlist "Urban Tracks"

by International Sensation on ‎2013-05-22 07:28 PM

Saschgo wrote:

Yesterday I found the following Error:

There are songs appearing on my play button that have been removed from my playlists because they are no longer available in my country. Since they aren't on the playlist I can't remove them.... but they still appear on the play widget

see: http://www.saschgo.com/#!spotify/c1sd0 e.g. the first song by Keny Arkana on the Playlist "Urban Tracks"

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

In the desktop client go to Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Playback > Untick Hide Unplayable Tracks. You should now be able to see them in the playlist in the client ;) 

Peter

by ‎2013-05-22 07:34 PM - edited ‎2013-05-22 07:35 PM

Hi. If you go to your spotify settings and uncheck "hide unplayable tracks" you should then be able to remove them. I really hate the way that web page renders if I don't want to use full screen mode :)

Edit: Beaten by that Peter again :(

by Saschgo on ‎2013-05-22 07:57 PM

You guys rock! Thanks a lot. works perfectly :)

by ‎2014-06-21 07:59 PM - edited ‎2014-06-21 08:00 PM

Please have a look how Play button should be made http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/More-stylish-Play-button/idi-p/831473

Maybe one day!

About the Author
  • "You like Phil Collins?" "I have two ears and a heart, don't I?"
  • 2012 CM at Spotify 2009 Became a dad 2007 CM at EA DICE 2005 CM at Blizzard 2000 CS at eBay
  • I'm pretty awesome.
Announcements
Featured Articles
Welcome to the Community.
Community Guidelines.
All Release Notes.
Beta Testing.
Community Terms of Use.

Beta Test Spotify Desktop
Would you like to beta test Spotify Desktop?

If so, please log in or register.

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.