Spotify Community Blog

The Spotify Community

Preview release: Spotify Desktop 0.8.5 - Gapless, crossfade, offline mode,...

by Jude on ‎24-02-2012 09:54 AM - last edited 2 weeks ago by Community Manager (14,811 Views)

Spotify 0.8.5 is now on preview release. We should start rolling out the automatic upgrades soon. If you want to try out the new features now, you can jump right in.

Download: Windows | Mac

You can read about some of the new features on the Spotify Blog. I'll go into a little more detail below:

Gapless playback

Tracks that are intended to play continuously, with no gap, will now do so. Where there are silences between tracks on an album, they will be as long as intended to be. In short, albums will now play as intended (as they would do on a CD). It worth noting that "gapless playback" doesn't mean that all tracks in your playlists will play with no gaps between them.

Tracks will play back gaplessly when

• played from an Album page
  • played from playlists or queue, where any pair of sequential tracks from an album appear

Since this is an important feature where it applies, and doesn't really detriment play from randomly composed playlists, the feature is turned on by default.

This one explains itself. Try it out.

You'll find these features in Preferences (Win: Edit > Preferences | Mac: Spotify > Preferences )

Offline mode (Premium only)

You can now choose to go offline in the desktop application, just as you can in the mobile apps. Some customers have asked for this. It means that you can listen to offline synched playlists and imported local music files without any P2P complications that can sometimes arise if you are, for instance, using a corporate network, or using a mobile 3G dongle.

You'll find the setting under the File menu in Windows, and under the Spotify menu in Mac.

Hide purchase ("Get") buttons (Premium only)

Many of our subscribers are happy with having all of your music in Spotify's catalogue, and don't feel the need to regularly buy music to "own". These buttons are visual clutter. You can now hide them.

If you do feel like buying a track, or re-downloading a track that you have already bought, you can

• show the buttons again, or
  • right-click any track, selection of tracks, etc

Playlists - View as album list

This isn't actually a new feature, but it was previously hidden behind the keyboard command, Ctrl+G. Now it's on the View menu too. Use this command while viewing a list, and it will show you album art thumbnails (Repeat the command, to go back to the basic view). This is available in all lists, apart from Search results, Inbox and Play queue.

• Local files are aren't yet supported for gapless playback. The status on that one is "Working on it".
  • The entire catalogue has not yet been re-encoded for gapless playback. The tracks are being re-encoded in order of popularity. This means that practically all Spotify "plays" will be gapless-enabled. You may still find some music that does not play gaplessly, if you have exquisitely obscure taste. Please don't report any such tracks for the time being.

by ‎24-02-2012 06:01 PM - edited ‎24-02-2012 07:28 PM

Aha, so the big re-encoding job that's causing lots of resyncing and for which no one was allowed to tell us the reason for, is to enable gapless playback, as I originally suspected.

by Sean27Forester on ‎24-02-2012 11:37 PM

So what is this "Purchases"? You can buy tracks inside of Spotify?

by Jude on ‎25-02-2012 09:20 PM

Yes, Sean, but the Download store isn't available in the US just yet.

by rrkelley on ‎26-02-2012 03:04 AM

Any time frame to expect the US downloads store to come to fruition?

by jayy on ‎28-02-2012 03:16 AM
It would be nice if the last song played and the song history would be a preference settings instead of it being forced upon your users.

I don't want to login to see that I have 30 seconds left of the last song I was playing nor do I want to login each time to see a huge long clutter of song history. Why don't you guys make this as a preference...
by on ‎28-02-2012 08:39 AM
The links about are to a version 0.8.2 - not the 0.8.5 mentioned. Is this right?
by Nullgrad ‎01-03-2012 10:57 PM - edited ‎02-03-2012 12:21 PM

I like the gapless feature it's great for live albums, however I seem to be getting a lot of breaks in the  tracks whilst playing which has only started since I took the update.

by mvdv on ‎01-03-2012 11:55 PM

Great new features! Thanks Spotify! Especially Crossfade a very welcome addition :)

Now add a way to delete duplicate tracks in a Playlist already, for god sake!

by on ‎02-03-2012 02:29 PM

If I enable both options "Gapless playback" + "Crossfade tracks" at the same time, which option will take precedence? Will I get the gapless playback or crossfaded tracks?

by miskidomleka on ‎06-03-2012 09:31 PM

My Spottify client  just upgraded to the new version.

Sadly, "gapless playback" is still not as it should be. While there are no gaps between tracks now, I still hear a click on almost each track boundary. Frankly, this is pathetic. Users have been asking for a year or two for this feature, which is one of the most important features of a music player, and now it turns out it has not been done right.

My Premium Free Trial expires in 2 days and obviously I am not going to pay for such a faulty product. (That in many albums only some tracks are available, is another reason).

by George on ‎06-03-2012 09:36 PM

What do you mean by click??

Do clicks appear between specific tracks? Or all tracks which should playback gaplessly??

by miskidomleka on ‎06-03-2012 09:48 PM
Click is a click. A very short sound.

I tried several classical albums in which music plays continously over track boundaries. I think there was a click in most cases, sometimes more, sometimes less prominent.
Try, for example Schumann's Piano Concerto played by Kissin spotify:album:0CjRmvLs8eDLbAQ89nlwtl transition between track 2 and 3.
Or Don Giovanni under Giulini spotify:album:3vhY9UTmXbabK67IidIe0n transition between track 2 and 3 on CD1
by George on ‎06-03-2012 10:03 PM

Okay, I see what you mean.

I think the problem here is with the specific tracks.

To allow gapless playback, a huge amount of the Spotify catalogue had to be reencoded. This isn't complete yet. The functionality has been released because the majority of the catalogue has finished being encoded.

It's quite possible that you're listening to tracks which haven't been re-encoded yet. If this is the problem, then it will be fixed when the rest of the catalogue is finished re-encoding for gapless playback.

I can understand your frustration, but you're going to have to be patient while the remaining portion of content is sorted out.

To give you an example of gapless playback working as expected you can listen to the transition between tracks 1 and 2 of Coldplay's album Mylo Xyloto: Coldplay – Mylo Xyloto

I appreciate it might not be your taste of music, but it should prove to you that it does work, and that it is a content problem.

by miskidomleka on ‎06-03-2012 10:35 PM

OK, I guess I'll keep checking using Spotify Free until I see that a good part of the music I am interested in does play trully gapless, and then I'll reconsider switching to a paid account.

And my decision will also depend on how often I see albums with inaccessible tracks, like Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique & John Eliot Gardiner – Beethoven: 9 Symphonies or Krystian Zimerman & Berliner Philharmoniker & Herbert von Karajan – Schumann / Grieg: Piano Concerto...  or Dame Joan Sutherland & Marilyn Horne & Luciano Pavarotti & Martti Talvela & Wiener Staatsopernchor &...

by orion on ‎07-03-2012 04:19 PM

should gapless playback work on tivo as mine does not.

by on ‎09-03-2012 12:48 AM
Just listening to Solti's Wagner Ring cycle - it seems that the gaps have gone but there is still a fade out and in again at around 2-4 seconds into each new track? Could this be a case of needing re-encoding - I notice the first disc (Das Rheingold) of the recordings available separately doesn't have a problem but the combined box set does?
by tomharding on ‎09-03-2012 10:23 AM

I was just coming on to moan about the greatest gapless playback album - The avalanches. Having just tried this out on Spotify, there's still a gap.

HOWEVER, I understand there's a huge encoding job going on, so I'll be patient. (A is pretty high up alphabetically though ;-))

by David on ‎10-03-2012 03:42 PM
The encoding is going well, but there's still a way to go yet. Hopefully that album will be done shortly.
by tomharding on ‎10-03-2012 04:02 PM

My bad, I forgot I had the album linked up. Tried it again and it's great :)

So glad you've got this sorted finally. Just makes me love Spotify all the more :smileyvery-happy: 

by hitgirl11 on ‎06-06-2012 07:58 AM

Hey there Spotify board. I'm a premium user for a few months now and have been so happy, until recently. When I use Spotify on my HTC Inspire or on my PC it keeps telling me that I cannot use it in Offline Mode. But I can't get to Online Mode! Please help. I've missed my music so... Thank you!

by dalla on ‎18-06-2012 08:59 AM

The crossfade function is not good.

There should be an app that would allow you to mix songs better then just 12 sec crossfade.

One should really look into this! An example could be an app looking like;

Mixmeister Fusion. In essence, this idea is about including a mixer in Spotify.

What is the status on this?

by David on ‎18-06-2012 10:18 AM
dalla - That's similar to a request someone has made right here -

Add kudos for your support!
by dalla on ‎18-06-2012 11:05 AM

The point still remains. The crossfade function is not good at all. Will something be done with this problem?

I have had a premium account  for quite some time, check my usename, but i am now considering leaving. This is because
the development of the software has gone far to slow and the new functions have been bad executed.

I am simply loosing faith in the product, wich is sad since i really belived in spotify.

by ‎22-10-2012 01:31 PM - edited ‎22-10-2012 01:31 PM

Spotify 0.8.5? Isn't it going to be rolled out these days?

The Linux version still says it are 0.8.4 but has Gapless Playback.

by David ‎23-10-2012 07:11 PM - edited ‎23-10-2012 07:12 PM

I think that was our mistake when we wrote the thread out. Except, er, we didn't notice. We do apologise. 

by Waiter on ‎24-10-2012 08:05 PM

I was playing some classiccal music on my phone the other day and suddenly realized there were no gaps anymore. Haven't made any kind ot settings, it just seemed to work.

In any case, it would be great if this is finally happening. Took a few years of nagging, but hey, I'm used to waiting...

by ronansprake on ‎27-10-2012 10:17 AM
Brilliant! Offline for desktop is all I've been waiting for to go premium
by mbug90 ‎13-01-2014 11:34 AM - edited ‎13-01-2014 09:51 PM

You will never implement crossfading for local files on iOS... will you?

by Sourcethree on ‎16-05-2015 04:07 PM

from the original announcement - over 3 years ago now - 

"Local files are aren't yet supported for gapless playback. The status on that one is "Working on it"."

Is that still the status? Or are you just messing with us?

I'd sign up for premium immediately if gapless playback for local files was implemented.

About the Author
  • "You like Phil Collins?" "I have two ears and a heart, don't I?"
  • 2012 CM at Spotify 2009 Became a dad 2007 CM at EA DICE 2005 CM at Blizzard 2000 CS at eBay
  • I'm pretty awesome.
Featured Articles
Welcome to the Community.
Community Guidelines.
All Release Notes.
Beta Testing.
Community Terms of Use.

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.