Spotify Community Blog

The Spotify Community

Thumbs up and down now on your desktop!

by Spotify on ‎2012-08-13 09:32 AM - last edited on ‎2015-09-23 07:01 AM by Community Manager (11,373 Views)

Great news for Spotify radio fans! Now you can enjoy the same Thumbs up (and down) functionality on your desktop as you do on your mobile!

Radio is all about what you want to hear. By giving a track a thumbs up or down, you’ll help to personalize your stations. Best yet, songs you like from either your mobile or desktop will grow your "Liked from Radio" Spotify playlist - so you can always keep track of new discoveries.

;)

Comments
by MK78 on ‎2012-08-13 12:32 PM

Great now I can finally ignore Veronica Maggio and Skrillex...

by on ‎2012-08-13 12:46 PM

Why? Skrillex is awesome!

by Enviii ‎2012-08-13 08:04 PM - edited ‎2012-08-13 08:07 PM

I can't seem to find my "Liked from Radio" playlist. I've thumbed up a bunch of songs from radio but can't seem to find it no matter what. 

EDIT: I fixed the problem. I went into my Android app, started radio and liked a song. It created the playlist from my phone and now when I like songs on my desktop it will add it to the playlist as well. 

Basically, if it's not showing up for you, go to your mobile app and like a song and it might work on your desktop. 

by MK78 on ‎2012-08-13 08:56 PM

Bug ?

by on ‎2012-08-15 02:34 PM

Can anyone tell me, when you thumbs down a track, does that mean you are saying you don't like OR you don't like it in THAT playlist?

by Moderator on ‎2012-08-15 02:47 PM

timiambeing wrote:

Can anyone tell me, when you thumbs down a track, does that mean you are saying you don't like OR you don't like it in THAT playlist?

See here!

by JJsEmail on ‎2012-08-18 04:31 PM

I can't find my Thumbs UP songs.

My phone is a windows 7 and I do not use it for apps.

I only use desktop with xp.

Can anyone tell me where to find all these songs that I keep saying thumbs up to?

by on ‎2012-08-18 07:35 PM

Spotify for Windows Phone 7 does not support radio, so problem maybe here. However you should see a playlist with liked tracks.

by JJsEmail on ‎2012-08-18 08:51 PM

No, it totally sucks.

I just signed up last night and spend quite a few hours liking songs thinking it would be easy to find them and put them in my playlist.

I only have two play lists:

DUTCH ( I created)
  &

Windows Media Center.

We are very happy about the great selection of songs from Holland, but this LIKE button totally sucks if I can't retrieve them.

by S10QaN on ‎2012-08-20 08:48 PM

I liked this function, allthough it is a bit basic.

Many aspects of Spotify is too basic, you can not configure it in an advanced way. I'd like to use radio stations sort of the way I use playlists. I can find my radio stations but I have no control of them. And I can not edit it afterwards, I can not add a black list or a white list to get it in the right direction, I have to listen to it to do this.

And there are radio stations that I want to remove. What about when I have 20 radio stations and 10 of them I do not want there?

Also, you have actually removed some of the radio options, right? I think you should actually add more! I have allways thought that it was to few.

Spotify should also be able to detect the slowness/pace of the songs. In case I want to listen to songs on the bus half asleep.

And sometimes I want to listen to fast pace songs, rock.

And several genres in the 90's and 80's.

There should be an advanced parameter/console search mode for advanced people.

by Spotify on ‎2012-08-21 01:33 PM

hello S10QaN, welcome to the Community!

There is already an "Idea" about editing or removing radio stations, we are collecting all of your feedback. Please add your kudos or comments if you really want this feature. We encourage you to create a new idea if it is not represented on this one:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Ability-to-Delete-Radio-Sataions/idi-p/10639

We are here and listening, 

Thanks for all your contribution here :)

by Rosewellzz on ‎2012-09-05 12:00 PM

I still cannot see the thumbs up or down buttons on the desktop app (Windows), I can see it on my android , but still nothing on my Desktop. Ive tried removing Spotify and then reinstalling but nothing works. Help please... 

by Spotify on ‎2012-09-05 01:05 PM

Hello Rosewellzz, 

Could you send us a screenshot?

You should see this:

by Rosewellzz on ‎2012-09-05 01:58 PM

HI there

Thanks for the quick reply. Here are two screens that I see. Ive included one with the Spotify version too.

And here is a screen while im playing a station and am hovering over it. Note there are no up and down thumbs.

Thanks for any help.

Regards 

Rosewellzz

by WrYBiT on ‎2012-09-15 10:37 PM

Let us delete a radio Station!

by Spotify on ‎2012-09-17 09:55 AM

Hello there,

Add your kudos and comments if you want to see this implemented:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Ability-to-Delete-Radio-Stations/idi-p/10639

This is now "under consideration"

Thanks for your feedback ;)

by oep4 ‎2012-09-24 01:24 PM - edited ‎2012-09-24 01:25 PM

I too cannot see the thumbs up or down. I am in Sweden, using version 0.8.4.124.ga3559d86

Also, I am a premium subscriber.

by invisiblepen on ‎2012-10-04 10:46 PM

I'm in the US using a Mac. That link says 'app cannot be found' in spotify. There is no way to edit the radio like on my phone app. 

by jaylade on ‎2012-10-16 04:39 PM

can you see a list of songs youve "thumbs up"-ed? 

by Moderator on ‎2012-10-16 06:05 PM

jaylade wrote:

can you see a list of songs youve "thumbs up"-ed? 

Your 'Liked from Radio' playlist should be exactly that.

by Spotify ‎2012-10-17 08:58 AM - edited ‎2012-10-17 08:59 AM

hello there!

@jaylade there is an automatic generated playlist called: "Liked from Radio" which includes all your "thumbs up" songs. In order to create for the first time this playlist you have to "thumbs up" a song in your phone, then the playlist will be generated in both phone and desktop app.

We know it is frustrating because you have to "like" the songs in your phone first, we are aware of this issue and we are working on it so hopefully soon you will be able to generate it straight from your desktop.  

I hope this helps, thanks!

by briandunne on ‎2012-11-15 07:26 PM - last edited on ‎2012-11-16 10:34 AM by Spotify

please help ive just popened an a/c with spotify today tru fb i think but when i try to log in tru spotify it asks me for a password i wasnt asked for before even if i use my facebook password that i don't want to use i can't get in please hepp. b ta xxxxxx@gmail.com

by Spotify on ‎2012-11-16 10:37 AM

Hello!

I just "bleep" your email adress since this is a public forum and we cant post private stuff.

Regarding your issue, since your account is created trough fb you have to use the exact email adress and password you use for login to facebook.

If you  have forgotten this password you would need to ask for a new one on Facebook. Your Spotify accoun and Fbo are linked.

I hope this helps!

If you still experiencing problems please contact our customer service team here: https://www.spotify.com/se/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

Thanks so much for using this forum :)

by Nizque on ‎2013-01-30 03:21 PM

Hi !

This feature is great, I use it a lot. But it looks to have a few bugs still to be ironed out.

Sometimes the dislike button is not refreshed properly for me. When I displike a song and use the thumbs down button, it stays disabled/"used" even when the next track starts playing. But often it works just fine too, I get new selection possibility for the next track. Please note that this is within the same session on the same machine/browser.

As a side note, it looks like already liked tracks only display the like button when they are played yet another time. That functionality is kind of pointless if you ask me. I get the idea that I should be informed that I have already liked the song, but if I have already liked it I would not need to do it again, and apparently I cannot change my opinion by disliking it (I do get bored with songs I hear too often).

Or is this just the above problem, that the dislike is again unavailable?

I'm now running the desktop client on an XP with IE8 (old stuff, I know, work equipment :P), running version 0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8

Keep up the great work, I love this feature, would just like this bug to be squashed too.

//Nizque

by Peacemaker on ‎2013-03-05 05:23 AM

This is great and all but the update took away the total play time of a playlist and totally took away the friends tool bar at the far right of the screen. Now I have to "follow" my friends? I was already friends with them and enjoyed seeing what they were listening to and who were listening when I was, which took away the fun of talking and sharing tracks back and forth. I still enjoy Spotify but this update just isolated me from everyone that I enjoyed listening with. Is there a previous version I could revert back to?

by International Sensation on ‎2013-03-05 08:11 AM

Peacemaker wrote:

This is great and all but the update took away the total play time of a playlist and totally took away the friends tool bar at the far right of the screen. Now I have to "follow" my friends? I was already friends with them and enjoyed seeing what they were listening to and who were listening when I was, which took away the fun of talking and sharing tracks back and forth. I still enjoy Spotify but this update just isolated me from everyone that I enjoyed listening with. Is there a previous version I could revert back to?

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

Have a read at the instructions posted in this post about how to go back to the old version and prevent the client from auto-updating. Please be aware that doing so is not officially supported by Spotify, so if you have any issues in the future you will need to update to get the best support. If you are interested, a list of flaws with the latest update can be found here.

Peter

by Chado on ‎2013-03-05 05:29 PM

The thumbs up and down idea is nice but I've started to notice that if I thumb up a few bands within a radio station, those artists are then played WAY too much.  I would like this to be more of a suggestion of what I'd like to listen to...not be the only artists I listen to.  I hesitate to use this feature as this has been a long standing issue that I'd like to see addressed

by moondancer on ‎2013-03-17 12:05 PM

I'm kinda angry.. how come my friends list i Spotify just gone.....   who gives a **bleep** about playlist and ads from other... took all the fun out of spotify   for real...    will seach for other ways to  play my musikk      wil l look into wimp and other..

by International Sensation on ‎2013-03-17 12:35 PM

moondancer wrote:

I'm kinda angry.. how come my friends list i Spotify just gone.....   who gives a **bleep** about playlist and ads from other... took all the fun out of spotify   for real...    will seach for other ways to  play my musikk      wil l look into wimp and other..

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

The most recent version of Spotify brought in some new social changes which might be effecting you. 

Have a read at my post here which tries to outline the changes.

Peter

by moondancer on ‎2013-03-17 01:50 PM

Well  it's not any use for me alone.. due to the fact  that my friends and family also will  hav ethe same changes going on.....  so  please get it back the way it was.......  this will  take away alot  of  your goodwill.. and  the fact is   I have no use of this thing you put in there instead....  sorry.. I pik my own musikk and dont need sideboards that almsot say the same....  wil  never use it  anyway

by moondancer on ‎2013-03-17 01:53 PM

PLease in the future... ask the users before doing changes....  I'm going for wimp  I think....   need to  see what  they have to  offer...  but this is not for me anymore...  will  stop the payment..

by iamneven on ‎2013-03-19 04:45 PM

How do i thumbs down the whole app? The new version absolutely blows. They took away retina support with an upgrade? how is this even possbile. And the new layout is so bad. Related artists is burried, and the whole thing is just one giant step back in progress. Why did you get rid of the dark background on artist pages? come on people, this is why I prefered it to iTunes. Fix this crap.

by Beth_h on ‎2013-04-20 10:59 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this feature doesn't work (on Android, iPod, or desktop)?

It doesn't matter if I thumbs down a track, I still end up hearing it again on that station, sometimes minutes later in the same listening session. The very same track I just told the app I don't like. And forget "teaching" it to stop playing a particular artist all together.

What if I want to thumbs up a song WITHOUT generating a playlist? I have classical, drum&bass, folk, 90's, kirtan, Justin Timberlake, and metal stations. Why would I want my favorites from all of them in one playlist? (Although if giving a track thumbs down has no effect on what gets played next, it follows that thumbs up wouldn't either, so I don't bother.)

by blu_goku on ‎2013-04-23 05:03 PM

OMG your radio needs so much work. I'm so tired of skipping songs I have disliked. From some reason disliking a song does not keep it from playing on my radio station. It seems once you guys run out of suggestions on music you start playing songs that I disliked. The worst part is, I can't change their current status even if I did want to like one I disliked

by brisssou on ‎2013-05-10 08:44 AM

Hey,

I can't vote anymore with 0.9.0.133, either on Windows 7x64 or Ubuntu 12.10x64.

The radio cover stays as the first one lanched. The songs are playing fine though.

Any update soon?

by brisssou on ‎2013-05-22 10:55 AM

bump...

by billynair on ‎2013-05-22 02:04 PM

What the F-BOMB is the use of a thumbs down button if you are going to hear that same stupid song an hour later??!?!? At least if we didnt have a thumb down button we might just think we forgot to press the thumb down button, but with the in ability to change the vote and it STILL shows up as marked down it just shows how little this featue means to modifying the radio station!! If I am getting songs I have voted down and it is showing me I voted it down already, what are the chances that I can trust the radio to figure out related songs I might like?!?! i'll give you a hint: NONE!!

by CoyoteV on ‎2013-07-05 07:15 PM

Thumbs down IRRELEVANT! Just when I had a great rotation Spotify starts inserting debris I don't want to hear, have indicated (Thumb Down) I wish not to hear, only to have it AND the artist return again (and again) in rotation two songs later. Please...PLEASE...PLEASE improve this function. Pandora's works like a charm.

It would be wonderful if a one-time NAY function on an ARTIST could clear that annoyance from my station rotation, particularly when I had gotten it tooled to a very listenable channel. Now I don't know if I can start over on an Artist Radio stream...without having to endure even more unacceptable insertions...again.

Are y'all listening out there?

~ Mark

by mnpenner on ‎2015-05-12 04:44 PM

I still don't have a clue how to "Like" or "Dislike" things on Spotify Premium - Linux. I don't see any thumbs anywhere. All I see is a little "+" in the bottom left below the album cover art, and I have no idea what that does, because there's no tooltip.

I thought I had collected some songs I liked (using that button), but I don't have any idea where they are or how to find them again.

About the Author
  • "You like Phil Collins?" "I have two ears and a heart, don't I?"
  • 2012 CM at Spotify 2009 Became a dad 2007 CM at EA DICE 2005 CM at Blizzard 2000 CS at eBay
  • I'm pretty awesome.
Announcements
Featured Articles
Welcome to the Community.
Community Guidelines.
All Release Notes.
Beta Testing.
Community Terms of Use.

Beta Test Spotify Desktop
Would you like to beta test Spotify Desktop?

If so, please log in or register.

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.