Premium

Country

France

Device

PC, Mac

Operating System

Linux Ubuntu and Mac OS

My Question or Issue

Authenticating my own user against the Spotify Web API through OAuth works well for a while, but I tried yesterday to authenticate another user (premium too), and it fails with a 403 status and "User not approved for app".
We both use my web app on firefox; The other user tried to authenticate on Mac OS.

When I searched solutions here, I found that:
1/ some posts here talks about a fixed bug in the spotify API 2 or 3 weeks ago
2/ one points the need to exit the development mode
3/ another talks about quota extention

I also read https://developer.spotify.com/community/news/2021/05/27/improving-the-developer-and-user-experience-... , but it makes me confused.
I have no option on my dashboard to add development users, nothing like that in the app view, and no option to toggle a development mode on my recently created app (same for my much older app), nor form to ask for quota extension.

Since this week and for the next ones I planned testing my app with a few testers, and it may after that quickly reach around 40 users.

How can I authenticate those users?

Additional info

- SPA using ReactJS.
- Passport-spotify (http://www.passportjs.org/packages/passport-spotify/) authenticates the users on the server side; looks like it uses the Authorization Code Flow.

5 Replies

Hi and welcome to the Spotify Developer Forum!

Is your app in "development mode" or "extended quota mode" ?

If you're in development mode you will need to manually add your users as per the blog post. 

In case you don't see the "USERS & ACCESS" button in the top right corner we have had a known issue that should be resolved now, so you might need to log out and back in - and clearing your browsers cache and cookies might help.

Otherwise feel free to send me a private message with the client id of your app and I can have a look.

Thanks for your welcome!

After logout and login, a  "USERS & ACCESS" button appeared, nice!

However, after I added my test user to the development mode allowed users, he still can't authenticate and the spotify API still returns a 403 with "User not approved for app".

Have you also a solution for that issue?

If you have added the user and they are still not able to access the app, this is most likely because the email address isn't the one associated with their Spotify account. If you PM me your client id and the email you added I can look it up and verify if this is the case.

Circling back for visibility: This issue was caused by a delay from when you add the users. Currently there is up to a 15 minutes delay from adding the user to the changes taking effect. We're updating the "Users & Access" page with a note.

I added users at least two ago, but still receiving 403 error with message "An unknown error occurred." for all users except for the account which was used to create the app. So not sure where to look for any help. Has anyone come across similar issue?

Suggested posts