Premium

Country

Hungary

Device

Amazon Echo Dot 3gen

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Since yesterday when I request the available devices via API Reference, I receive this:

"id": "d0e0c8da-1a4b-4b72-b7ff-4f089fd41d92",
"is_active": true,
"is_private_session": false,
"is_restricted": false,
"name": "d0e0c8da-1a4b-4b72-b7ff-4f089fd41d92",
"type": "Speaker",
"volume_percent": 36

However when I open spotify app on my phone or the windows app on my computer, then the name is correct. (It should be "Echo Dot")

I have tried to rename and device and deregister the device and reconfigure in the alexa app, but it did not help.

31 Replies

QAScenario
Regular

Hi! While this isn't exactly the same issue that I've been experiencing with my 4th Gen Echo Dot (which has been reported at https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-for-Developers/v1-me-player-devices-doesn-t-return-Amazon-E...), there's reason to believe that there might be a correlation between these issues: they all seem to stem (at least initially) from the 'available devices' API request, and I believe that's the reason @ohej pointed me to this topic.
In my case, though, instead of getting the serial number, my 4th Gen Echo Dot just won't be brought up by the request at all unless I open the Spotify app.
Could anyone else confirm if they've also experienced this? Thanks!

takman
Casual Listener
Just to let you know that I have the same problem(s) as you with the
incorrect name and non-appearance in Spotify.

chiptune
Casual Listener

Any update? Still getting ids in name for Echo gen3+

tpicon
Music Fan
chiptune, unfortunately no update on this. 😕

ohej
Spotify
Spotify
Hi. The issue is still being investigated and proving to be a bit tricky. I'll be sure to update this thread as soon as there is any news.

tpicon
Music Fan

Ohef, 

Unfortunately, today started showing the id number in the "name" again...

I would like to suggest to return the same fields that open.spotify uses...

If we debbug from the Open Spotify I could notice that we get this JSON

Capturar.PNG

We have "device_alises" there.

If you add to the current API I believe will solve because in the web browser the wrong behaviour never happen

Tks for your attention

ohej
Spotify
Spotify
Thanks for all the feedback, we really appreciate the input on narrowing down this bug. The team are investigating further, stay tuned.

ohej
Spotify
Spotify

Thanks for reporting this. I've raised this with the team and they are investigating. I'll report back once we learn more.

ohej
Spotify
Spotify
Update: The issue has been confirmed and is being investigated further. I'll report back when I receive an update on a fix.

ohej
Spotify
Spotify
A fix has been rolled out today, can someone in this thread confirm if this has resolved the issue?

WazoAkaRapace
Regular

Fixed for me, thanks !

tpicon
Music Fan

WazoAkaRapace

If you try to play on Echo Dot for instance after an restart it shows the correct name? Or do you need to play using Spotify app before?

WazoAkaRapace
Regular

I need to start playing on the echo one time before it get the right name yes (by the app, or by telling the echo to start playing music)

tpicon
Music Fan

Same here, but if you turn off and turn on Echo again you will have to do these steps again... unfortunately

tpicon
Music Fan

Ohej, 

Unfortunately didn't solve. We have to play using Spotify app... then the API return s the correct name of the Speakers.

But if we restart Echo Dot for instance... the randon number appers again.

Last week we sent a video for your team explaning how our solution works and why is important the correct name for us

Please tell me if you need more information about

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Tks

tpicon
Music Fan
Yes, I will test and post the result here

Tks!!

tpicon
Music Fan

Hi

I'm facing the same problem here

With Echo show I don't have this behaviour

And with former version of Echo dot doesn't happen also

The problem is with the new Echo firmware

I already send a message to Amazon Engineer but nothing until now

I will post here If they answer

tiagopicon-br
Casual Listener

Hi, this is what I got from Amazon Support yesterday

Hi there,

Thank you for following up.

As much as I would like to help, the Spotify API is not owned or supported by Amazon. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide information regarding this issue. Please follow up with Spotify support for more details.

So, please Spotify, check this!!

franfos
Casual Listener

Well, it looks it’s an issue related to Amazon, not Spotify. Before the firmware update, it was working ok, and it’s also working properly in other devices.

I guess we’re not going to have success if they blame each other.

chiptune
Casual Listener
The thing is Spotify app can show these names ok. So there seems to be some inconsistency with its API.

SUGGESTED POSTS