Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Amazon Echo name changed to some serial number

Amazon Echo name changed to some serial number

Plan

Premium

Country

Hungary

Device

Amazon Echo Dot 3gen

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Since yesterday when I request the available devices via API Reference, I receive this:

"id": "d0e0c8da-1a4b-4b72-b7ff-4f089fd41d92",
"is_active": true,
"is_private_session": false,
"is_restricted": false,
"name": "d0e0c8da-1a4b-4b72-b7ff-4f089fd41d92",
"type": "Speaker",
"volume_percent": 36

However when I open spotify app on my phone or the windows app on my computer, then the name is correct. (It should be "Echo Dot")

I have tried to rename and device and deregister the device and reconfigure in the alexa app, but it did not help.

62 Replies

Ohej, 

Unfortunately didn't solve. We have to play using Spotify app... then the API return s the correct name of the Speakers.

But if we restart Echo Dot for instance... the randon number appers again.

Last week we sent a video for your team explaning how our solution works and why is important the correct name for us

Please tell me if you need more information about

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Tks

Fixed for me, thanks !

WazoAkaRapace

If you try to play on Echo Dot for instance after an restart it shows the correct name? Or do you need to play using Spotify app before?

I need to start playing on the echo one time before it get the right name yes (by the app, or by telling the echo to start playing music)

Same here, but if you turn off and turn on Echo again you will have to do these steps again... unfortunately

Ohef, 

Unfortunately, today started showing the id number in the "name" again...

I would like to suggest to return the same fields that open.spotify uses...

If we debbug from the Open Spotify I could notice that we get this JSON

Capturar.PNG

We have "device_alises" there.

If you add to the current API I believe will solve because in the web browser the wrong behaviour never happen

Tks for your attention

Thanks for all the feedback, we really appreciate the input on narrowing down this bug. The team are investigating further, stay tuned.

Any update? Still getting ids in name for Echo gen3+

Hi. The issue is still being investigated and proving to be a bit tricky. I'll be sure to update this thread as soon as there is any news.

chiptune, unfortunately no update on this. 😕

Hi! While this isn't exactly the same issue that I've been experiencing with my 4th Gen Echo Dot (which has been reported at https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-for-Developers/v1-me-player-devices-doesn-t-return-Amazon-E...), there's reason to believe that there might be a correlation between these issues: they all seem to stem (at least initially) from the 'available devices' API request, and I believe that's the reason @ohej pointed me to this topic.
In my case, though, instead of getting the serial number, my 4th Gen Echo Dot just won't be brought up by the request at all unless I open the Spotify app.
Could anyone else confirm if they've also experienced this? Thanks!

Just to let you know that I have the same problem(s) as you with the
incorrect name and non-appearance in Spotify.

Hi.
Sorry for bumping this thread, but we still haven't been able to come up with a solution or even a workaround for this situation.
We'd be really grateful for any kind of update... until very recently, we've been advising all of our clients to trust the Echo Dot/Spotify integration as a reliable option to use along with our product, but unfortunately this hasn't been the case anymore: we've been getting reports about this same behavior from various sources for some time now, which means that maybe this issue has been affecting a lot more people than just the ones that have been posting here.
Once again, thanks in advance.

I have the same problem on a 4th Gen Echo Dot!
While the third gen Echo Dots constantly change name with an ID instead of the real name of the device. From the Spotify app no problem.
It is urgent to solve these problems which in fact do not make echo dots usable.

Sorry for my english ...

any news???

Quick update: the issue seems to persist, and so far, we still haven't been able to find a way around it.

Again, I'm sorry for bumping the thread, but I see we've had a few more users here who are also experiencing the same inconvenience and it's safe to assume that they're also having trouble coming up with a workaround for this. 

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that we've recently made attempts to get some responses from Amazon's end, unfortunately to no avail at all. At the moment we are out of options, and we'd be thankful for any follow-up on this. 

Hello again, I thought it would be worth it to share some info we've collected regarding the 4th Generation Echo Dot not being retrieved by the API while trying to work around this issue and, who knows, this might actually help some of you who've been experiencing the same problems: as I've mentioned in a previous thread, this issue seems to stem strictly from the API, as we've noticed that the devices do seem to be available while trying to use Spotify Connect (be it through the web player, the Spotify app or even the desktop client). Thing is, after connecting to an Echo Dot through this method (Spotify Connect), there's a slight interval where it is possible to retrieve these devices through the API call (more specifically, the /v1/me/player/devices endpoint).

Paraphrasing something I've also mentioned in a previous thread: it's almost as if checking the user's available devices through the Spotify Connect sweep results in "enabling" the Echo Dot devices, and from then on (for a short period) they start showing up in the API request.

Knowing this, we are left with the problem that arises from the need to constantly "trigger" the Echo Dot devices to make them available. Still, as I've said, this might help with some insight concerning this particular issue.

With that said, we are still waiting for Spotify's input and/or some feedback regarding any temporary fix to this. Again, thanks in advance.

Same problem here. I observed this since months. Should be fixable since the Spotify web player knows the correct names.

I almost get the impression that Spotify doesn't want to solve the problem!

I contacted Spotify customer service about this and got this answer:

It's not a problem from Spotify.

Help for rectification:

Nothing👎

I'm really not sure if I should feel stupid or Spotify itself.

This constant asking for improvement is annoying

Suggested posts