Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can multiple users listen through the Web Playback SDK?

Can multiple users listen through the Web Playback SDK?

I want to create a web app where I use Spotify's Web Playback SDK to create a player and play music in the browser from another Spotify client (e.g. my Spotify app on my phone or Spotify app on my computer) and also enable other users who are on my website to listen to what's being played live.

Is this possible to do through the Web Playback SDK? If not, how would I go about implementing this?

4 Replies

Hi @yurikaaaaa! Yes, that is possible, by writing an app that combines the Web API with the Web Playback SDK. I'd suggest having a look at the tutorial here for some inspiration. Keep in mind that each person who is listening through the Web Playback SDK will need to be a Spotify Premium subscriber.

I built an app for a school project that had a similar idea - got the playback going but it seems that Spotify is having issues with the SDK for the moment.

i'm also trying to build something similar to this. I've already built the client side app using that tutorial you linked, but I'm not seeing any documentation for multiple premium users to be able to share the same playback state or playback instance. Could I just send the playback state to other users via a websocket connection and they can just use that state for their own instance of the playback sdk? And is everybody sharing the same playback sdk instance or are they all supposed to use their own that can be synced together?

I think you can start a Jam while listening through the Web Playback SDK. Only the Jam host has to have Premium. (I haven't tested this myself yet.)

Suggested posts