Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Criteria to not count as "Hobby Project"

Solved!

Criteria to not count as "Hobby Project"

Hi, when hitting the "extension request" in the dashboard there is the hint that the extension request will not be granted to "hobby projects".

I'm a solo software-developer who is working on an app that is intended for commercial use, but since it definitely will take some time until I may make a living from it (if I'm lucky enough) I have to work on it next to my regular paid job.

That's why I'm afraid that it might count as a hobby project, but given the nature of my App it couldn't even start off, adding users manually, and have them limited to 25.

So I'd like to ask if anybody could tell me what the criteria are to not count as a Hobby project? Are there hard requirements like having a registered Company, Company size, or is that evaluated individually?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Andreas

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It's impossible to give you a direct yes or no answer without having any context or information about what exactly your app does, but even if I had it would be up to the team that reviews the quota extension requests to evaluate it.

- So even if you reply with more information here we wouldn't be able to give you a straight answer.

So instead here's some overall guidance:

The note about hobby projects is meant around single-user apps, like your home automation, magic mirror, school projects and similar. These apps will fit perfectly fine in the development mode and does not need the quota extension.

My best advice is to create a proof of concept of your app and submit the quota extension request.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

It's impossible to give you a direct yes or no answer without having any context or information about what exactly your app does, but even if I had it would be up to the team that reviews the quota extension requests to evaluate it.

- So even if you reply with more information here we wouldn't be able to give you a straight answer.

So instead here's some overall guidance:

The note about hobby projects is meant around single-user apps, like your home automation, magic mirror, school projects and similar. These apps will fit perfectly fine in the development mode and does not need the quota extension.

My best advice is to create a proof of concept of your app and submit the quota extension request.

Hi ohej, I'm sorry for beeing so vague, call me paranoid but I didn't want to go into details for a software I intend to earn money with in the future, until it is ready for a release. 🙂

But your overall guidance is a sufficient answer to me, and it sounds to me like my App wouldn't fall into this category, so I'll go on with my development and hope for the best. 🤞

Thanks a lot for your help!

Suggested posts