Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Include Biography in Artist's Metadata in Web API

Include Biography in Artist's Metadata in Web API

This question has been requested for a long time on the web-api's GitHub repo (https://github.com/spotify/web-api/issues/207), I am following it up in this forum.

18 Replies

This is something I've missed from my Groove Music API days as this made for some interesting additional content that could be displayed, so hopefully Spotify API can support this at some point

Thanks for the feedback, @barfood @RoguePlanetoid! Do you have an idea for an app that would display or use biography information? Any details around the use case would be interesting to hear - I will share this with the API team at Spotify.

The ncspot app for use in a CLI could really benefit from this addition:
https://github.com/hrkfdn/ncspot

Would be really useful to display this in Artist page in apps, I've developed apps using music data before as mentioned and it made for a nice addition as allowed users to learn a little more about an artist that may be new to them, so certainly would welcome an addition like this to Spotify as it would allow me to display this information using the Spotify API

I just went down a rabbit hole, clicking through a bunch of different artists linked to in bios. I frequently read the bios of artists (especially ones I am less familiar with) and am always interested in influences and other artists that are mentioned in the bios. One potential use case for an artist bio in the api would be to create some sort of artist network that could be used in a bunch of different ways. It would be a different take on related artists, but possibly more interesting since bios seem to often be provided by outside groups or the artist themselves rather than user listening habits.

This feature would also be greatly welcome for us

I think it would be cool to be able to search for all artists that mention X artist or Y city in their biographies. 

Would be a really useful feature for my team for populating default bios for artists.

I would also find this extremely useful for artist bios on my site!

Kind of embarrassed to say I've never scrolled down far enough to see the artist bio. Glad I found this thread to uncover this tidbit!

REALLY would like to see this. Spotify's artist bios are often a lot more reliable than Last.FM or anywhere else I've looked!

I really hope the people at Spotify will take the time to address this. I know it is a niche thing to fix, but it would be really cool to have for us power users. It's not like I'll cancel my Spotify subscription anytime soon, anyway.

My app would benefit from this! I’m trying to develop something that will help people in my city find music by bands that are from or (or have strong ties to) my city. Being able to query mentions of it in the artist bio would help me populate my app without the need for perfect music scene participation in filling out a registration form.

that would be awesome!

Yeah, this would be pretty much useful for the developers. Please add this API.

I would really like to see artist bio added, would be really handy to access this in my music/events discovery app!

Hey Josh, we'd be interested in using Spotify's web API to pull artist bios for our website https://v2presents.com - we're an EDM promoter in Utah and we've been building out artist pages for artists we book which include a Spotify player. It would save a lot of time for us on approvals if we could grab bios from Spotify instead of requesting them from their artist teams. 🙂 

Hey guys, does anyone know if there is any news on this topic?
This feature will be very useful for development apps.

Suggested posts