NEXT STEP

Latest update has broken the ability to connect to the app via Spotify iOS SDK

Solved!

Latest update has broken the ability to connect to the app via Spotify iOS SDK

Operating System

iOS

Spotify version

My Question or Issue

With the most recent update to Spotify’s iOS App, the ability for 3rd party apps to read Spotify’s now playing information using the iOS SDK has broken and the app no longer allows connecting as reliably as before.

This also affects demo app so let me explain what’s going on:

If the demo app is opened quickly after Spotify, it’s able to connect fine as Spotify app is still not backgrounded, but if Spotify gets backgrounded, no further connections are allowed. So basically that’s the bug.

Same thing happens with our app too, but since we have added a delay on connection, our app doesn’t fire connection request before Spotify gets backgrounded. The delay was really added due to another bug that users were facing and adding the delay used to connect more reliably.

Previously, as long as Spotify app was playing music in the background, it was possible to connect to the app using the iOS SDK.

It’s affecting many of our users and probably many other apps. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This has been fixed in the latest update to Spotify app, 8.6.22. Thanks, Spotify.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Ditto the Post above.  Spotify version 8.6.20 totally breaks the iOS SDK.  Please Spotify fix this and post about it quickly.

Marked as solution

This has been fixed in the latest update to Spotify app, 8.6.22. Thanks, Spotify.

Hi Addy239, that's great news but I don't see a Spotify app update as being available in the AppStore. My Spotify app currently shows version 8.6.20.1146. When I go to the AppStore, there is no update for 8.6.22 showing. How did you learn about 8.6.22 and how did you determine that it fixed the problems? How did you get 8.6.22? I am in the USA in Eastern Time Zone, maybe (hopefully) app updates don't show up everywhere at the same time and this will show up for me soon. Thanks

1. Me and the users of our app were able to download the update and confirm the issue was fixed the time I wrote the previous comment, but I know App Store doesn’t show an update sometimes, and that is exactly what happened to me during 8.6.20, users were experiencing the bug and I wasn’t and even though I checked I didn’t see an update on my end, that’s when I restarted the App Store app and tried again, and it showed the update for me as well, hope it does for you too.
28013D94-4E0C-4C9A-B24C-8A47703BE16B.png

Suggested posts