Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

License for academic research use

License for academic research use

I'm using the Spotify Web API to extract audio features of several tracks for a corpus-based analysis I'm running for my PhD research. I don't make use of user data at any point throughout the process. I have two questions:

1) Is there a recommended way to cite the Spotify Web API in journal papers, or should I just provide a citation for Spotify as a whole?

2) Can I publish Spotify Web API data in a publicly available dataset along with the journal article, to allow reproducible analysis of my results? If so, which license should I select for the dataset? I read the full Developer Terms of Service but they mostly seem tailored towards commercial uses, rather than academic use.

Thanks for your help!

2 Replies

I have a somewhat similar question about the terms of use for my student project.
I wanted to use Spotify Web API to analyze normal and remixed song features and using that analysis, remix other songs for the user, but as stated in the Terms of Use,

"Mixing, overlapping and re-mixing. You may not, and you may not permit any device or system used in connection with the Spotify Service to, segue, mix, re-mix, or overlap any Spotify Content with any other audio content (including other Spotify Content)"

I have no desire to use this project commercially but I would want to solve my problem statement using Spotify since its the most accurate readily available dataset with Audio Analysis. Kindly let me know if Spotify can provide me with such a license for this project only.

Thank you for sharing this information.

Suggested posts