Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Our Web API access is being revoked with no appeal

Solved!

Our Web API access is being revoked with no appeal

Hi Spotify and fellow Spotify Developers,

We've been using Spotify's various APIs in our free and open source software since 2009 but we received an email on April 27th stating our Web API access will be revoked:

After reviewing your application, we have found that it is in breach of our terms and conditions due to the following reason(s):

Integration with third party services: Spotify streams are combined with the streams from another service, or allow users to transfer metadata to/from a competing music service.

We will be disabling your API key in fourteen (14) days, which will prevent your application from accessing the Spotify developer platform. Please note that it is not possible to reply to this email.

We use the APIs in good faith and have done so for over 10 years. To receive this email with no chance to appeal or even speak to a human being is really disappointing. If we are in breach of the impossibly vague terms specified then we'd really like to have a chance to rectify this. We have worked extremely hard on integrating Spotify into our project and our software is only available for use by Spotify Premium subscribers. We don't think this is how a big tech company like Spotify should treat it's developer community. Can we please have some information on how to appeal this decision.

Thanks,
Nick

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @kingosticks4, thanks for bringing this up. You can send me an email with the details. I'll help out if I can: jbrown@spotify.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @kingosticks4, thanks for bringing this up. You can send me an email with the details. I'll help out if I can: jbrown@spotify.com

I'd just like to update this post and thank Josh for having the app review team take another look at our usage. We were very pleased to learn they have now reversed their original decision and we can continue using the Web API. Thanks again, Josh.

Nick

Suggested posts