Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs

We have been using those SDKs since they became available.

Our particular app (Amazing Slow Downer) lets the user play music more slowly, since a couple of years ago also songs from Spotify. The "ios-streaming-sdk" is a beautifully designed framework that lets an audio developer do practically everything needed.
In our case it makes it possible to access the raw audio samples and this way process the sound and then playback the processed audio using our regular audio playback engine. With your new SDK this is not possible. It might be that the "ios-streaming-sdk" is more difficult to use for an average developer but that also makes it more powerful.

We have many users that uses Spotify. Many users switch from other streaming services such as "Apple Music", Tidal, Amazon Music etc to Spotify just to be able to slow down streaming music in real time.

We believe our app gives Spotify many many new subscribers, so many that it would actually pay off for Spotify to maintain the "ios-streaming-sdk".

We only use "playlist" functions and after fixing a couple of bugs in the "metadata framework" available on github, everything works 100%. Although there are certainly some bugs in the “ios-streaming-sdk”, they are very few and don’t affect our app.

We also have an Android version of our app that uses your Android streaming SDK and it also works very good.

We believe Spotify will loose thousands of users, so many that the minimal cost Spotify need to spend on maintenance will pay off manifold.

Since our app also supports playback and slowing down of streaming Apple Music, many of our users will probably switch from subscribing to Spotify to subscribing to Apple Music.

You write:

"After September 1st, important functionality in the streaming SDKs will stop working."
Exactly what does that mean? What part of the SDK will continue to work?

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs!

Rolf Nilsson
CTO
Roni Music

935 Replies

I agree with this. I need to slow down songs to make faster progress when learning how to play songs on the guitar and now I cannot use Spotify to do so. I will be cancelling my Spotify subscription and switching to Apple Music.

Please reinstate this feature. It’s great for musicians. Better musicians = Better Spotify. This should be a no-brainer.

I play drums and use Spotify to acquaint myself with new songs I have to learn before mivibg to my kit to get to grips with the rhythm and have been trying to find something that will slow down the speed of a track to help with this. Thought I had found one in ASD, only to find out that Spotify no longer support it!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE RECONSIDER!! All I can do at the moment is slow down tracks in YouTubs, but they sound awful! There are loads of musicians out there who would find this ability INVALUABLE in 'training their ears'. It would add to Spotify's appeal to people who don't currently use it 

I’m so disappointed to hear this! Gosh, I might have to switch to Apple or Amazon over Spotify!

Yes, please! As a musician and most importantly music teacher this tool is invaluable to me and my students to quickly and efficiently work on complicated music in different keys and at slower tempos. Please reconsider and change it so that Amazing Slowdowner can still be used to its fullest extent!

Shame on Spotify for this again anti artistic move. We all have to work against these Art tyrants. There are some many shortcomings in this music monarchy app. 
change your policy Spotify and work with real musicians rather then uneducated business people.

put this app back in line. Now

I just came across a Reddit post of someone who've made a Windows app that can slow down the music of Spotify.

I’m a professional musician and guitar teacher at a music school. Please please please bring back the Spotify compatibility with the Amazing Slow Downer app, it is crucial for practicing!

I am a guitar teacher and the App Amazing slow downer is very useful for my classes to teach how to play the Songs my pupils like. It Was the main reason for me to have a Spotify account. With the help of ASD my Student were able to practice with the original song but very slow, so they can play with the artist. Please consider retaining the functionality that allows ASD to stream Spotify playlists so I can easily change speed and pitch!

I'm confused. Is the Spotify SDK deprecated or was it just an old version. Because I still see Spotify has an iOS SDK Quickstart here: https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/ios/quick-start/

I would like to integrate a web player into my app but not sure if the Spotify SDK will work?

Just assuming here.
It probably lets you play songs but won’t let you load and process the wave
form of the song. That’s why there is no way to speed up, slow down or
pitch adjust the songs any more.

please spotify, rethink this bad decision

Hi, I echo what the other close to 1000 people have said. I am about to cancel my Spotify subscription and move to Apple music…. and the only real reason being that as a musician I really want to continue to use ASD (or similar tools like Transcribe!).

But it seams that Spotify needs to lose some more subscriptions before they listen to customers…

Spotify, please reinstate access to apps like Amazing Slow Downer.  You are forcing myself and all my music students to use YouTube instead of Spotify via ASD... you are LOSING BUSINESS!!!

Rob Turton, Australia

Nice to hear ASD switched to YouTube Apple Music and can be used again. This tread can be closed then.

"Nice to hear ASD switch to YouTube and can be used again. This tread can be closed then."

That's not correct,  ASD does not support YouTube or any other audio streaming service except Apple Music (iOS only).

But there are many sites where you can download a physical file from a streaming service link. Works for most audio streaming services including Spotify and YouTube. That's what "to use YouTube instead of Spotify via ASD" means.

I'm the developer of ASD.

Bummed to see this thread.  I use Spotify daily and have for years, but this has me considering going back to Apple Music.

I'd like to add my voice to implore Spotify to reconsider. Myself and many other tap dancers used ASD to slow down practices of music for practice. It was a very helpful tool. Unfortunately, I am an Android user who cannot benefit from switching to Apple music, so I will be finding other ways to download the songs from Spotify and use them through ASD for my classes.

Please bring back functionality allowing the Amazing Slow Downer app to use Spotify songs! I want to use this app when practicing with my band, it was so useful!

A real real shame to be losing this. There is no other product like it and connecting to Spotify makes it so powerful. This would make my Spotify subscription worth less without this feature...

Suggested posts