Country

Germany

Device

(iPhone 6s Plus, HP Laptop)

Operating System

(iOS 14, Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Hello,

I've been working on a simple web application where you can view your profile information and library/playlists/artists and also modify some of them. I could get user's profile picture and other basic information, but today I got an error saying that my requests are unauthorized. I've read the new policies, and my question is can we ask for scope extension? if yes, how?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies

Hi @sinabyr, welcome to the forum.

If your app is still in development mode then it is possible to add new scopes to your app without a scope extension request. To do that, your app should construct an authorization URI with the scopes that you need listed in the scope query parameter. There is an example in our OAuth documentation. Your app can then redirect the user to the authorization URI, to begin the process of obtaining a new token.

Thank you very much, @spotifyjosh.

I have two applications, one is in "Development Mode", where the other is stated to be in "Granted quota extension" status. So basically scopes are not locked in an application which is currently in "Development Mode" unlike the other one?

Thank you for your time.

Hi

Any existing apps that are in "Extended quota mode" will have all scopes available today - this was needed in order not to risk breaking any existing apps or integrations.

When you're in development mode you'll have access to all available scopes. When you submit your app for extended quota mode you will be asked to provide info about each scope your app requires and once the app is approved they will be locked in - but you can then request a scope extension.

Long story short: Your existing apps will continue to work just fine with all scopes available 🙂

Suggested posts