Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

active a playback device with API

Solved!

active a playback device with API

Is there a way to activate a playback device using the api and why can't I see my ethernet speakers using the get playback devices api?

Accepted Solutions
13 Replies

Hey as far as my understanding of the APIs goes, the device in question has to be manually made active in order to transfer playback to it.

I don't to make it active, but how to switch the device when it is active?
Marked as solution

Thank you very mutch

Every time I want to transfer the playback, I simply get error 500, although I use the correct device ID.
I tried it by using the API directly and also through the web console.

Originally, I just wanted to play music on a device which was marked as not active. The play command just went through but the music didn't start. In the old GitHub repo, I found the advice to transfer the user's playback which finally led me here.

i have exactly the same problem. every time I try to activate the player, I get the 500 error ...

is there already a solution here?

Supplement:

for some accounts it works without problems, but not for others. could there possibly be problems with the accounts in a family subscription?

after playing around, i found out that i have to start something with this account from the spotifyapp first. from then on the activation of the player via the API works fine...

Hi sir, I have the same exact behaviour... Did find any solution in order to not having to manually start music on this device to make it available ? Thanks 🙂

I have the same issue. Is there any way to "wake up" a device through the web api?

It appears Spotify managers have disabled the feature to get the available devices from the API:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69816607/spotify-api-does-only-get-a-few-devices-but-my-phone-ge... 

Same issue. Can't transfer playback, start playback, or even see the device listed unless I manually start playback on the device first which makes the API practically useless ☹️

Hi,
This used to work for me but now:
https://api.spotify.com/v1/me/player/devices

{
"devices": [
{
"id": "109bf5a0d19ab7605f1cda5ceb83370bdd96118e",
"is_active": false,
"is_private_session": false,
"is_restricted": false,
"name": "Web Playback SDK",
"type": "Computer",