Premium

Country

The Netherlands

Device

All

Operating System

-

My Question or Issue

In an article written on Tweakers: article it was brought to my attention that the Terms and Conditions were changed. The following is now in there: 

"circumventing or blocking advertisements in the Spotify Service, or creating or distributing tools designed to block advertisements in the Spotify Service"  which is now not permitted anymore.

My question is: for which plans this is added? I don't get any advertisements on my premium plan and I plan to put a PiHole in my network to get rid of advertisements. Since I seem to be subject to the same Terms and Conditions as everyone, it looks to me that I might get banned for doing this, even though I don't have ads on my Spotify.

Is it possible that Spotify members/employees shed some light on the probability of getting banned for running an adblocker that doesn't even block ads since I am on a premium plan?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

We just wanted to update you on the use of ad-blockers in relation to Spotify and the updated T&Cs for 2019.

The purpose of the restriction on blocking advertisements is specific to preventing the circumventing or blocking of advertisements in the Spotify service. It is not meant as a general prohibition against ad blockers.

If you have any other questions about this, feel free to reach out to us here.

Thanks! Stay awesome 🙂

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey @NinjetsuNL.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

It seems that these changes to the T&Cs will be affecting both free and Premium users.

While we do not have any further information on this for the time being, we would advise you to take note of the T&Cs and to adhere to them at all times to ensure that you can continue to use Spotify.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

I also use a PiHole and would like to know if I am going to get banned. Thanks!

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

We just wanted to update you on the use of ad-blockers in relation to Spotify and the updated T&Cs for 2019.

The purpose of the restriction on blocking advertisements is specific to preventing the circumventing or blocking of advertisements in the Spotify service. It is not meant as a general prohibition against ad blockers.

If you have any other questions about this, feel free to reach out to us here.

Thanks! Stay awesome 🙂

The way I interpret your answer is that having an add blocker (PiHole) with a premium plan is not circumventing ads on Spotify since there aren't any because premium users pay to have them removed.

Having a non-premium plan is a different situation, in this case a PiHole would circumvent ads, since ads are a part of the listening if you don't want to pay for a premium plan.

Is this correct?

Can you provide me information on how to whitelist your ad service? 

This isn't a solution at all, in fact it dances right around what everyone is asking. Anyone wishing to whitelist for spotify, I wouldn't bother. I'd find another company who either doesn't interject**bleep** ton of ads every 2 to 3 songs, or I'd block**bleep** out of their ads on throw away accounts. These idiots need to learn they work for us, we run whatever we with on our hardware, and we're courteous enough to allow**bleep** to run on our hardware. your plans are stupid expensive, and not even worth the price. Especially not with so many other MUCH better services out there, IE Amazon Music, You Tube Music, and various other music apps on the market. You are no longer the top dog, your not even the third dog. So stop acting as if you have a service that's even worth paying for.

Suggested posts