Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ads on premium

Ads on premium

I have been getting ads at the beginning of a podcast. The app will play the intro song of the podcast, then stop and play 3 ads, then resume the show. I can skip the ads, but that's beside the point. I pay for them to not be there in the first place. These are not sponsor ads read during the podcast, by the host. These are separate recordings. If it is a part of the recording that the podcaster uploaded, no big deal. I'm used to those on podcasts and sometimes they can be funny and entertaining. I'm not talking about those. I'm referring to ads that are not a part of the recording I chose to listen to.

I only use spotify for one specific podcast that recently became a spotify exclusive. When I used to listen to it on another paid streaming service, this was never an issue. I pay for an ad free experience (for ONE show), and right now I feel lied to and ripped off.

Top Answer
Katerina
Spotify Legend

Hi folks!

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Spotify doesn’t play or include ads that interrupt the listening experience of Premium subscribers. However, some podcast creators may include third-party advertising, host-read endorsements, or sponsorship messages in their episodes.

Spotify gives the podcast hosts the option to choose if they would like to have a dynamic ad slot in their podcast, but that isn't something Spotify can control - it's up to the individual podcast owners if they choose to have that type of ad in their content.

We hope this clears things up. If you need anything else, give us a shout 🙂

7 Replies

Happened to me too. I also paid for an ad free experience, and will cancel my subscription if I don't get what I paid for.

Screenshot_20201208-195854.jpg

I hope we will get a proper explanation from someone at Spotify...

Your are absolutely right. Today I had advertisement for a german discounter in my daily drive collection and I have a paid account, promised as free of advertisement!

SPOTIFY: stop that!!!

Spotify needs to figure this out ASAP. Especially when they've forced people to come to their platform for JRE. I've been a premium user for 5+ years (family premium now) and I've never complained about price increases, but this is day 1 of dynamic integrated ads for me and it's ridiculous.

Either lose the ads for premium users or create a different subscription model that includes ad-free podcasts. If neither of those become true, people like myself and others in this thread will leave.

Got the same thing. This needs to stop.

PXL_20201204_010241347.jpg

Hi folks!

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Spotify doesn’t play or include ads that interrupt the listening experience of Premium subscribers. However, some podcast creators may include third-party advertising, host-read endorsements, or sponsorship messages in their episodes.

Spotify gives the podcast hosts the option to choose if they would like to have a dynamic ad slot in their podcast, but that isn't something Spotify can control - it's up to the individual podcast owners if they choose to have that type of ad in their content.

We hope this clears things up. If you need anything else, give us a shout 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Spotify cannot control ads that are dynamically placed into a podcast when Spotify is the podcast player and gives the content creator this option?

Yeah, I don't believe that.

Stop trying to nickel and dime your customers. I've been a premium subscriber for over 3yrs and cancelled my subscription over this.

Hi again, @dbangera!

We're sorry to hear that you feel this way. 

We recommend checking out this idea about removing ads from podcasts.

You can add your +Vote and comments to show your support. You can also subscribe to be on top of any new updates we have to share about it.

You can read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

If you have any questions, just let us know!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts