Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can I convert my Family plan to Duo without losing playlists?

Solved!

Can I convert my Family plan to Duo without losing playlists?

I currently have a Family plan but it's just me and my dad, so I want to convert to Duo instead. But I'm worried about whether or not his playlists will migrate over to the new Duo plan since it seems I'd have to re-invite him to the new plan? Not sure if his data will get deleted or lost when switching subscriptions. I figure as the account manager, my user data in the Family plan will automatically merge/transfer over to the Duo plan, but I'm not sure if the same applies for my dad since he is an invited/secondary member on my account. Is it possible to convert my Family plan to Duo without losing any playlists for either user?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @adelestreak,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community! 

No worries, changing subscription plans won’t cause anyone to lose their playlists or saved music.

You can change your plan from Premium Family to Premium Duo by following these steps:

1. Log into your account page.
  2. Under Your plan, click Change Plan.
  3. Select Spotify Premium Duo.

At your next payment date, your billing and account will switch to the Premium Duo plan, and your dad’s account will switch to the free plan. You can then invite your dad to the new Premium Duo plan by following the steps in this support article.

Bear in mind to accept the invite, the other member must live at the same address as the plan manager. Also note that members can only switch between different Premium Family or Premium Duo plans once a year.

You can also read more about how Premium Duo works in this FAQ article.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @adelestreak,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community! 

No worries, changing subscription plans won’t cause anyone to lose their playlists or saved music.

You can change your plan from Premium Family to Premium Duo by following these steps:

1. Log into your account page.
  2. Under Your plan, click Change Plan.
  3. Select Spotify Premium Duo.

At your next payment date, your billing and account will switch to the Premium Duo plan, and your dad’s account will switch to the free plan. You can then invite your dad to the new Premium Duo plan by following the steps in this support article.

Bear in mind to accept the invite, the other member must live at the same address as the plan manager. Also note that members can only switch between different Premium Family or Premium Duo plans once a year.

You can also read more about how Premium Duo works in this FAQ article.

AdamDamSpotify Star

Trey, the support article you linked to as "support article" is a dead link. Can you update that link please?

Hi @robopilot,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

I've updated the link to the support article about inviting the other member to a Premium Duo plan; thank you for letting me know that this link needed to be updated.

AdamDamSpotify Star

When I click on change plan the only option is Spotify Free. Where can I change to Dup instead?

Hi @Dbg2,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

I recommend first asking the plan manager to remove you from the Premium Family plan that you’re currently in; they can follow the steps in this support article to remove you from the plan.

Alternatively, you can cancel your subscription to the Premium Family plan yourself by following these steps:

1. Log in to your account page
  2. Under Your plan, click Change Plan
  3. Scroll to Spotify Free and click Cancel Premium
  4. Continue through to the confirmation message

Either way, your account will revert to the free plan, such that you’ll then be able to directly subscribe to Premium Duo here.

AdamDamSpotify Star

@TreyAnastasio -- I don't think you actually answered the question.  Are the playlists of the invited person preserved when moving to Duo? 

I have the same situation as the original poster -- we have a premium family account.  As the organizer of that plan and the person who would do the switch to Duo, it's clear that MY playlists are preserved.  It is NOT clear that my parter's playlists would be preserved.  Can you confirm (100% sure -- no guessing!) that they would be preserved, too?  It doesn't seem consistent with your statement that her plan would revert to the free one (which does not have playlists, I believe).

Thanks.

After talking to tech support and backing up my partner's playlists using https://github.com/watsonbox/exportify, I was brave enough to try this without a real clear answer to the original poster's question.  I'm happy to confirm that the invitee's playlists carry over, assuming they had their own plan to begin with.

The Spotify tech support person made the distinction between the plan (personal to the user) and the account (how it gets paid for).  The switch from Family to Duo is changing the account; the plans remain intact.

Hola, tengo una cuenta Premium familiar y deseo inscribir a mi esposa e hijas que ya tenían cuentas antes individuales, pueden inscribirse conmigo y no perder sus playlist?

Suggested posts