Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't reactivate hulu account after updating Spotify payment info

Can't reactivate hulu account after updating Spotify payment info

I missed a payment on my Spotify premium, and after updating my payment/reactivating my Spotify subscription, I'm unable to reactivate my hulu subcscription. I've looked all over the place for a way to do it, I've chatted with hulu support who couldn't help me in the end.

10 Replies

Hey @bouldasaur, I'll be happy to help you.

Has your Spotify account already revert to Free before updating your payment method?

Keep me posted 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am having the same issue and I did not let it revert to free before updating payment. Can you advise next steps?

I think so. I think it does that by default.

Hey @bouldasaur.

If your account got reverted to Free - you won't be able to use Premium with Hulu again, since this offer is now over. I'd recommend keeping an eye on spotify.com for future deals and promotional offers 🙂 

@scoogle17.

Could you try starting a new thread so I can take a closer look and avoid confusion? Thanks!

Billy-JSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I've just recently run into the same issue. My card on file expired, just as normal credit cards do. Spotify prompted me to update my payment information in the app, so I did. Later that day, I try to watch Hulu and learn that I can't because my account had been downgraded. I contacted Spotify support to see what was up and learned that updating my payment method led to my previous plan being canceled and re-subscribed without the Hulu bundle. They saw this in the payment logs. When I asked to have it reactivated, they said they can't because the bundle is no longer available. I was not having this, so I got escalated to the Executive Team. The support person, Michael, was great. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for Spotify's ability to properly address the situation. They offered me 2, then 3, then 6 months of Premium for free, but I respectfully declined. I didn't write in to get pacified with free Spotify Premium. Theres a matter of principle here. I wrote in to report a problem with the payment system and get my account back to the way it was. Whether that's through the original promo, the student package, or through an engineering toggle doesn't matter to me. I simply want Spotify + Hulu as it was before updating my card. Instead, my sentiments were logged in feedback report and put in front of the right people. Nice job setting up your customers and support team for failure, Spotify. It really shows how much @SpotifyCares.

Hey there @moco,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community regarding this!

Sorry to hear this happened but rest assured we've passed this feeback on to the right teams. 

Unfortunately, the Spotify and Hulu bundle is no longer available so it won't be possible to avail of this offer again at the moment. You can always share this as a new Idea here if this is something you'd like to see in the future. 

Further, if you're eligible for the student discount, you can take advantage of Spotify for Students that comes with Hulu and Showtime. There's more info about this here.

If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

They just did the same thing to me my spotify was not canceled just updated my card. Somebody better fix the issue because I got no notification that my Hulu was going to be canceled nothing. You made changes to my account without my knowledge and without my permission. I was under the impression that updating my payment information which is something people do all the time when they get a new card or their old ones been damaged or malfunctioning. So I have no notification that you've done any changes to my account. I go to look at Hulu and I can't I called them and they tell me you cancelled my stuff. It seems kind of funny that everybody's having the same problem and there's no way to fix it but Spotify still bringing in all that money. Well not from this person you may have escalated it. But with no way to fix the problem. you can offer me 6 months,a year,2 years free and once that's up I'm done. 

@fawnwilliams,

Sorry to hear they did this to you too. The way Spotify is handling this certainly gives the impression of a deceptive practice used to discontinue a promo. Here are the facts:

• The issue has been escalated to the appropriate team for over a year, with no resolution to date.
  • Their terms and conditions for this promo state they reserve the right to terminate at any time without notice. See Section 2 here.

I'm 100% with you on your sentiments. Spotify has let down their customers big time. Instead of setting clear visibility on a promo expiration, they removed it via a deceptive practice; one which relies on normal payment method expiration. Additionally, they have likely skewed the churn rate for this issue by offering a few free months of service. Unless their reporting shows that they are losing many users from this issue, they will likely not care. My advice to Spotify would be to observe the churn rate after the offered free months of service have expired. Both @fawnwilliams and myself will be present in that report, along with many others I'm sure.

It's the age old saying "what goes around, comes around".

@moco

While it is true that the terms and conditions state that Spotify can terminate the promotion at any time, that phrase, like every other part of the terms and conditions is subject to interpretation. It is one thing to terminate the entire promotional program for everyone who has it. It is something else altogether to terminate the promotion on an individual account. I don't think the language in the terms and conditions gives them the right to selectively cancel the promotion on individual accounts.

As I have observed in another thread, it is not entirely clear what is happening here, because the users are not providing enough detail, and the Spotify employees are not asking enough questions.

If the card expires and the monthly renewal payment fails, then the account reverts to a free account. This would clearly cause the loss of any promo associated with a premium subscription, because the account is no longer a premium account. And you can't get it back, because it is no longer available for new signups. This may not seem fair, but it is within the terms and conditions, and it is falls within the parameters of a reasonable business model. The user has a responsibility to make sure that the card on file is valid and working on the day of the monthly renewal. If you get a new card number, you need to update it before the monthly payment transaction. If you let the account switch over to free, you will lose your promotional bundle, you won't be able to get it back, and you bear at least some responsibility for that, because you did not update your card data until after it was too late.

But if Spotify is terminating the promo bundle even while the bundle is still active, just because a user has updated their card data, before the monthly payment date, and before any payment has actually failed, then I think this is a serious breach of contract.

The comments from users and moderators do not contain enough information to determine whether this has actually happened.

If the card is expired when they try to process the monthly payment, it will fail, and convert the account to free. Then the user may get an automated e-mail, informing them of the failed payment, and asking them to update their information in order "continue to enjoy Spotify Premium," or something like that. A user receiving this e-mail may immediately log in and update their card data. But it's already too late. The account converted to free and they lost their promo, even if the account was only a free account for a few minutes.

On the other hand, if you update the card data before the payment fails, this should not cause the promo to be cancelled. And as I have already said, it is not clear from the various messages what is actually happening here...

I updated my payment method 3 days before my bill was do 

Suggested posts