Changing from premium to family do playlists and downloads get deleted?

Changing from premium to family do playlists and downloads get deleted?

Sarah125

Hi there I have upgraded my subscription to family.  One of the members of my family is concerned they will lose all the songs they’ve downloaded and playlist blah blah associated with their account?  Which would be annoying.  So my question is if they cancel their premium and accept my family invite do they lose this information?  Or do they not cancel their subscription first just activate the family link?  What’s the best way and can anyone give me assurance that they won’t delete all their music!?!

9 Replies

Maxim
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @Sarah125,

All members of a Premium for Family plan will be using their own Spotify account, so no saved music will get lost 🙂

There's no need for them to cancel their current subscription because the system will switch everything over automatically.

MaximRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

iwoods2807
Regular

Hi, My family is now all on the same plan. My wife, having just joined seems to be seeing all of my playlists (which we didn't think was an issue) until she started cleaning up the ones she didn't want listed in her account. But deleting a list has also deleted the same one from mine. How can I restore mine, and how can she clean up her lists?

Alex

Hi there @iwoods2807,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

So what has most likely happened is that she has logged in your account, if she can see your playlists.

What we recommend doing is for her to log out on her device. Make sure she is logged out both from the app and the account page. After that she should log in with the email address and password on her own account. When she logs in she should see only her old playlists and none of yours. 

You can always log in on your account page on the website and under the Family tab you should be able to see all the accounts in the Family plan. She can also check if she's seeing her or your username when she logs in the app, as that's the best signifier of which account she's logged on.

Check out this article for more info on how to manage the family plan.

You can also head over here to learn more about recovering any playlist that was deleted accidentally. 

Hope this helps. Give us a shout if you have more questions.

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

kellynnettles

What is the person trying to switch has a student plan? I'm trying to transfer to my house's family plan but I have to get rid of my student plan first

Petya
Community Legend

Hey @kellynnettles,

Thanks for asking us about this! 

Regardless of what subscription you have, as long as you use the same account when switching subscriptions, all of your saved songs and playlists will remain. As to cancellation, there's no need to cancel. You just have to accept the Premium Family invite and after that will become part of the new plan and won't be charged twice. 

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂 

PetyaModerator

Tomato0

Hi Petya

This is also when you change from family tot duo ?

Ciao

Emilia_8
Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Hello @Tomato0

You can use your existing account and change your subscription to Premium Duo. That way you won't lose any playlists or follows and stats, it's just the subscription that changes. 

Other members can also join your plan with their current accounts and keep their libraries. 

Note: If you already have Premium with a partner (e.g your phone or internet provider), you first need to cancel with them.

More details on how to start Premium Duo subscription and other helpful Support Articles regarding the Duo subscription can be found here

Hope this helps! 

Emilia_8Rock Star 10

cathstall

Hello,

perhaps you can help me.  My family is on a premium family account.  We want to change the name and email address of the plan manager.  Does that mean we switch back to free service then upgrade back to premium family then using different name and email address?  I would be very grateful for any advice.  We are nervous of doing this as no family member wants to lose the loved playlists.  Kind regards, Catherine

Maxim
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @cathstall ,

To ensure that we can offer you the best help that we can, could you please create your own thread?

Doing so is easy. Simply select the appropriate board here, and then select “Start a Topic.”

Thank you very much!

MaximRock Star 24
SUGGESTED POSTS