Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Changing from premium to family do playlists and downloads get deleted?

Solved!

Changing from premium to family do playlists and downloads get deleted?

Hi there I have upgraded my subscription to family.  One of the members of my family is concerned they will lose all the songs they’ve downloaded and playlist blah blah associated with their account?  Which would be annoying.  So my question is if they cancel their premium and accept my family invite do they lose this information?  Or do they not cancel their subscription first just activate the family link?  What’s the best way and can anyone give me assurance that they won’t delete all their music!?!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

No worries, as you will never lose your content (saved songs, playlists, followed artists, followers, etc.) when moving from Premium Individual (including Student) to Premium Family or Duo, as you'll be using the same account. When changing from Premium to free, you'll only lose your downloaded songs, as that's a Premium feature, but they'll still be saved in Your Library.

On another note, it's not necessary to cancel your subscription before joining a Family or Duo plan, as it will be automatically cancelled once you join the plan. The only exception is if you have a subscription through a partner, like a telco company, which you'd need to cancel first directly with them and wait for your account to be reverted to the free service to be able to join the plan.

You can find more info about starting and joining a Family plan here, a Duo plan here, and more info about cancelling your subscription here.

Hope this helps 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

33 Replies

Hey @Sarah125,

All members of a Premium for Family plan will be using their own Spotify account, so no saved music will get lost 🙂

There's no need for them to cancel their current subscription because the system will switch everything over automatically.

MaximSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

What is the person trying to switch has a student plan? I'm trying to transfer to my house's family plan but I have to get rid of my student plan first

Hey @kellynnettles,

Thanks for asking us about this! 

Regardless of what subscription you have, as long as you use the same account when switching subscriptions, all of your saved songs and playlists will remain. As to cancellation, there's no need to cancel. You just have to accept the Premium Family invite and after that will become part of the new plan and won't be charged twice. 

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂 

PetyaModerator

Hello,

perhaps you can help me.  My family is on a premium family account.  We want to change the name and email address of the plan manager.  Does that mean we switch back to free service then upgrade back to premium family then using different name and email address?  I would be very grateful for any advice.  We are nervous of doing this as no family member wants to lose the loved playlists.  Kind regards, Catherine

Hey @cathstall ,

To ensure that we can offer you the best help that we can, could you please create your own thread?

Doing so is easy. Simply select the appropriate board here, and then select “Start a Topic.”

Thank you very much!

MaximSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, My family is now all on the same plan. My wife, having just joined seems to be seeing all of my playlists (which we didn't think was an issue) until she started cleaning up the ones she didn't want listed in her account. But deleting a list has also deleted the same one from mine. How can I restore mine, and how can she clean up her lists?

Hi there @iwoods2807,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

So what has most likely happened is that she has logged in your account, if she can see your playlists.

What we recommend doing is for her to log out on her device. Make sure she is logged out both from the app and the account page. After that she should log in with the email address and password on her own account. When she logs in she should see only her old playlists and none of yours. 

You can always log in on your account page on the website and under the Family tab you should be able to see all the accounts in the Family plan. She can also check if she's seeing her or your username when she logs in the app, as that's the best signifier of which account she's logged on.

Check out this article for more info on how to manage the family plan.

You can also head over here to learn more about recovering any playlist that was deleted accidentally. 

Hope this helps. Give us a shout if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Petya

This is also when you change from family tot duo ?

Ciao

Hello @Tomato0

You can use your existing account and change your subscription to Premium Duo. That way you won't lose any playlists or follows and stats, it's just the subscription that changes. 

Other members can also join your plan with their current accounts and keep their libraries. 

Note: If you already have Premium with a partner (e.g your phone or internet provider), you first need to cancel with them.

More details on how to start Premium Duo subscription and other helpful Support Articles regarding the Duo subscription can be found here

Hope this helps! 

I have the paid version but want to change to the free version. Will I lose all my songs on my playlist? 

Hi I just switched to family premium but now over half my songs are not available for me to play. whats going on?

Hi folks, 

Thank you for posting on this thread!

@Lynnette5683 Apologies for the late reply. Whenever you switch from Premium to free or vice versa, your playlist will keep the same music as your content is independent from the subscription. 

@xarucray Could you send us a screenshot showing how the songs look? Are they grayed out, or do you get any error message? 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Hello! I am in a similar situation where I am currently on a student plan and am planning to move to my family's joint account. When I go on the webpage to accept the invite to the new family plan, it says this in small writing: 

No refunds are available for changing from your current Premium plan before the end of your paid subscription period.

By accepting the invite, you agree to the Spotify Premium Family terms.

I am unsure if this means I will still be charged for the student account if I join this new family plan. Do I cancel my Student premium plan first and then accept the invite? 

Thanks in advance

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

No worries, as you will never lose your content (saved songs, playlists, followed artists, followers, etc.) when moving from Premium Individual (including Student) to Premium Family or Duo, as you'll be using the same account. When changing from Premium to free, you'll only lose your downloaded songs, as that's a Premium feature, but they'll still be saved in Your Library.

On another note, it's not necessary to cancel your subscription before joining a Family or Duo plan, as it will be automatically cancelled once you join the plan. The only exception is if you have a subscription through a partner, like a telco company, which you'd need to cancel first directly with them and wait for your account to be reverted to the free service to be able to join the plan.

You can find more info about starting and joining a Family plan here, a Duo plan here, and more info about cancelling your subscription here.

Hope this helps 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Hi ,

I have just recently changed from premium to family and all the songs I had added to “starred “like favorites they disappeared they were downloaded too and it was a long list that I been creating for more than 9 years, I was just adding t songs I liked to that folder which was previously created by Spotify automatically.

is there anyway to get them back ? I’m quite annoyed and I was wondering if there is anyway maybe switching back to premium?

thank you,

marta 

Hi @1120941355,

Thank you for posting on the Community.

If your music disappeared after changing the subscription, please make sure you've accessed the correct account. In this article you can find information about finding out if you have multiple accounts.

If the issue persists, could you try to access your account with a different device to see if you notice any change in the content? Also, let us know if the only music that disappeared are your Liked songs, or if you're also missing playlists.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Hi . I was on an ex boyfriends family premium bit now want to set up my own premium account . I don’t want to lose my playlists though? I notice he has blocked me from seeing who else is on the premium family account but my premium still works? How do I set up my own premium account without losing my playlists? 

Hey @zfpibnebvd0ln5cft8sy,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Changing subscriptions won't affect your music library in any way. If you are a member of a Family/Duo subscription, you can cancel the membership just like cancelling any other subscription as described here

You can afterwards activate your own subscription.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Hi Carlos, 

Informative post. May I clarify one thing ahead of doing this (as you can imagine, the stakes are high!). My situation: I am extracting myself from a Family Plan and would like to initiate a new Family Plan where I am the account holder. From the web I can see that I need to change account (of myself) from Premium Family to Free. So your comment applies to me:

@CarlosE wrote: When changing from Premium to free, you'll only lose your downloaded songs, as that's a Premium feature, but they'll still be saved in Your Library.

What is meant exactly by the download songs will be lost by saved in my Library? My interpretation is that the song will remain exactly where it is (in it's playlist or 'liked songs' list, etc.) but will not be downloaded - I must 're-download' it to my device. This is okay with me as long as the song (title, artist) is still present and I don't have to 'remember' what I had (which would be impossible).

Thank you!

Suggested posts