Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Charged for a subscription I did not purchase?

Solved!

Charged for a subscription I did not purchase?

I was recently sent an email confirming that I purchased spotify premium on September 21, 2018, and was notified that I would be charged $12.99 on a credit card. This was jarring for multiple reasons. For starters, at the time of writing this, the date is September 20, 2018. Second, not only have I not purchased spotify premium, I deleted the spotify app a long time ago and have not logged into my account in forever. Lastly, I don't own a credit card. Considering that last fact, I don't believe I've been hacked or had my credit card information stolen (again, I don't own a credit card). I'm so unfamiliar with spotify in general that I don't even know how to ask about this. Also, when I go onto my account, it says I don't even have premium. And none of the links in the email work, they all just redirect me to an error page on a site called ow.ly. What's going on?

image.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@Whoevenknows,

Thanks for the response. I removed the screenshots for security.

That is a scammer trying to get you to provide your info. Here are the next steps to take:

1. Check out this support article from Apple Support, as it will explain how to change your personal info like your passwords - and also 2 auto-authenication is a good tool as well to protect your Apple ID.
  2. Once you've done that - follow these steps on how to report the suspicous email and how to protect your accounts (similar to the Apple support article).

A helpful tip, is if you recieve an email similar to this one - check the sender email address. Also, check for spelling and grammer errors (as some scam emails are harder to spot).

If you have any other questions, you can always reach back out, and I'll be happy to help out 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @Whoevenknows, and welcome to the community.

Hope you're doing great!

I understand your worry - I'll be happy to help to make sure we come to a resolution 🙂

The email you sent sounds like it was a scam email. Could you verify for me the sender of this email to see the next steps we can take going forward?

Keep me posted 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

Thanks for the response @Billy-J . The email was sent from a strange url. I don't want to check it out because I don't want to risk getting information stolen or getting a virus from it, but it is definitely unusual and I doubt it's from spotify.

*Community Rock Star edit - Removed personal info for others security*

Marked as solution

@Whoevenknows,

Thanks for the response. I removed the screenshots for security.

That is a scammer trying to get you to provide your info. Here are the next steps to take:

1. Check out this support article from Apple Support, as it will explain how to change your personal info like your passwords - and also 2 auto-authenication is a good tool as well to protect your Apple ID.
  2. Once you've done that - follow these steps on how to report the suspicous email and how to protect your accounts (similar to the Apple support article).

A helpful tip, is if you recieve an email similar to this one - check the sender email address. Also, check for spelling and grammer errors (as some scam emails are harder to spot).

If you have any other questions, you can always reach back out, and I'll be happy to help out 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

@Bill-J I'm handling the situation as the articles you linked suggested. Thank you so much for the help!

@Whoevenknows,

You're welcome 🙂 If you need more help, you can always start up a new thread, and the community will be happy to help.

If this reply helped you out, make sure to mark it as the solution. This way, other users who might be facing this issue can come into this thread and see the solution too 🙂

Have an awesome day!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Suggested posts