Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Charged for free trial?

Solved!

Charged for free trial?

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

US/UK

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Just signed up for Spotify student - says 3 months free and then 4.99/month... why have I been charged for my first month, and then on the account details it shows the next payment is due next month - where are the free three months???

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Alisa91,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots with me!

Yes, since the student discount trial offer is only available for people who haven't tried Premium in the past, you won't be able to use another trial on Premium for Students.

There is some more info on Premium trials here.

I hope this helps 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hey @Alisa91, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Help's here.

Have you tried Premium in the past (the individual Premium subscription, Premium for Family or Premium for Students), or have you used your payment method on any of Spotify's services?

Keep me updated 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star

Hi @Billy-J, thanks for your reply! That's not something I can remember I'm afraid; the last time I even logged in to spotify was over a year ago 😕

Hey @Alisa91,

That's ok! Could you send me a screenshot of your Receipts page? Please make sure to hide sensitive info when posting to the Community.

I hope this helps 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star

Thanks @Billy-J!

I'm not sure if the usernam also constitutes as sensitive, but i've blacked this out just in case.

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 02.41.03.pngScreenshot 2019-09-07 at 02.41.17.png

Hey @Alisa91,

That's ok! Could you send me a screenshot of this page?

Keep me updated 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star

Oh dear - i see a 99p payment in June last year. Is this why it's not giving me the student offer?

Screenshot 2019-09-09 at 10.27.08.png

Marked as solution

Hey @Alisa91,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots with me!

Yes, since the student discount trial offer is only available for people who haven't tried Premium in the past, you won't be able to use another trial on Premium for Students.

There is some more info on Premium trials here.

I hope this helps 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star

19379BBC-3BD8-4428-8994-AF27A77453BC.png

I have been charged for a free trial as well. I only verified my account yesterday. Help please!

Hey there @Mal_ge,

Thanks for jumping in here with a screenshot! 

Keep in mind that when purchasing a subscription which is already at a discounted price, it's not compatible with other discount offers. For example Premium Family or a bundle with Headspace. When you subscribe for a bundle like Premium Student and Headspace, it's not possible to get a free trial with that. That's why you were charged the full bundle price.

Hope this sheds light on the subject 🙂 

PetyaModerator

Signed for two months free trial.  Charged on the same day.  What's the deal?  Thought I would have two months free not two minutes!!

debbie

Hello @debwoodward

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. We'll help you further.

Could you check your bank statement and see whether the amount has indeed been transferred or is it a pending or ‘authorization’ charge? You can also check your receipts to make sure the payment came through. 

If you subscribed for a free trial but got charged immediately, it's possible that you're not eligible for the offer.This can happen when your account was on Premium before or if you've paid for Premium in the past on another account with the same payment method. In those cases it won't be possible to activate any trial offer, since they're intended for users who've never tested Premium. There's more info on that here.

If this is the first time you started a Premium subscription we recommend you to make sure that you haven't started a subscription on two different accounts. Follow these ways to find other accounts

Let us know how everything went. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Spotify - there's a very simple solution to this.

If people aren't eligible for your free trial when they click on the link, just have a pop-up say, "You are not eligible for the free trial since you had a previous subscription on {DATE}. Do you want to proceed with Premium (you will immediately be charged £x), or cancel?"

What is annoying these customers that no such message popped up, so that they were unable to make an informed choice about whether to proceed or not.

I actually think this is mis-selling - it is certainly very sharp practice. It has just happened to me, several years down the line which shows that Spotify are well aware of this 'glitch', but it is profitable enough that it outweighs the complaints.

Suggested posts