Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Credit card country vs. account country

Credit card country vs. account country

Hi, I tried to register for a premium account, but when it comes to payment detail I'm not able to enter the credit card details (I only get the message 'Your payment method does not match your country')
So, I'm living in Austria, but due to the near of the border to Germany, I only have a german credit card / bank account.
What to do?
I mean when I switch the spotify account to Germany it is not correct, because I'm living in Austria and not in Germany. Most of the time I will use the account in Austria unless I'm doing some walk over the border to germany.
I've never had payment issues like this when registering for other streaming services like Netflix, Prime, Disney, etc...

It is really  strange that there exists such kind of issues within the european union ...?!

Would it be a solution to use PayPal instead?

10 Replies

Hey @fm334 ,

Thanks for coming to the Community 🙂

The payment method must always match the country that has been set in your account's country setting. In your current situation, this would be Austria.

I'd also like to let you know that you could use your German payment method to sign up for Premium when you are in Germany. Once successfully signed up, you can travel anywhere and still enjoy Premium, as long as it renews every month.

For some additional info, you can check out this support article.

Hope this clears things up!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

That's really weird .... I mean I can use my credit card anywhere and at no other place than Spotify the country where the credit card is registered has to match my living country.
Does this make any sense?
Anyway, I found a way to register ... strange things are happening in the modern world 😉

Hi there @fm334,

Thank you for your reply.

We're really glad to see that everything works as it should for you 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have a similar issue. I'm Belgian, moved to Sweden earlier this year. I cannot set my region to Belgium because my IP is in Sweden but I only have a Belgian credit card so I'm unable to pay. Other streaming services don't require you to use a credit card that matches the country you are staying in so I find it really weird and frankly very annoying that Spotify does. My Belgian credit card is still valid until 2026 so I intend to use it until then and I've never had a problem using it anywhere except when trying to pay for a Spotify account. 

Hey @fdicct,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

It won't be possible to activate a subscription in Sweden with a Belgian card. This is due to licensing concerns and currently there is no way to make the proposed activation work.

You can check the post from @Maxim above for more thorough explanation.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

My solution was to get a credit (or) debit card from the country (in your case sweden) which was possible for me with no additional annual cost and do the payment from this card. somehow ridiculous, but it works

I am having a similar issue.  Unfortunately I cannot find a solution and, after many years, will have to switch to another streaming service.  I really like Spotify and use it everyday.  Such a shame they have this strange rule.

Allow users to use their cards anywhere to process payment rather than use a particular card from a particular country.

Same issue here... Guess I'll look somewhere else. It's just disappointing. I've never seen something like this before. 🙄

Absolutely agree with people above. This situation is unacceptable! I can pay with my card worldwide, but Spotify think differently. 

Suggested posts