Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Double billed for over a year

Solved!

Double billed for over a year

My Question or Issue

In reviewing my most recent credit card statement I noticed a recurring charge from itunes for $12.99/month that I wanted to clarify. Upon investigating, I found that it was for my Spotify subscription. There also, however, was a $9.99/month charge on that same statement directly from Spotify. In reviewing my previous credit card statements in more detail, I noticed this same double-billing had been occuring for over a year (since February 2018). 

I tried utilizing the spotify "chat" support feature in order to obtain some clarification and help and got absolutely nowhere. The chat support person basically told me to take the dispute up with Apple, they didn't know why I was being charged twice, and they would refund me at most for 3 months (even though this double billing had been going on over about 15 months). This chat support person also patronizingly said "I know how hard it is to manage your expenses these days".

Let me be clear. It's not hard to manage $12.99/month for a service I want. It's hard to manage being charged twice for that service for over a year, and then basically being told to learn how to manage your expenses. I am extremely frustrated and disappointed in the customer service I received for an issue that should have easily been corrected.

Also, why don't you have a telephone customer service? The chat support cannot fix everything, and for the first half of the chat I didn't even know whether I was chatting with a human or a robot. I cannot emphasize enough how awful my experience was. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @mrb06004.

Thanks for getting back to us with an update on your situation.

Firstly, I just wanted to apologise that your experience with our Customer Support team didn't meet your expectations. We'll make sure to pass on your feedback.

Just to clarify: usually, if a customer is double charged, they can be refunded for the time during which they have been double charged.

However, if one of the payments is handled by a third party, such as is the case here, then unfortunately we can't refund it: it's up to the third party - in this case Apple - to refund you for those payments.

Hope that clears things up! We're glad to hear that Apple were able to refund you and that everything worked out 🙂 

Let us know if you have any further questions about this - we'll be right here.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Hey, @mrb06004 

Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear that you're having that kind of issue on Spotify. Unfortunately, I can't help you here in Community, you only can get help by the Spotify Customer Support or as said by them, through iTunes Customer Support. After all, I suggest that you talk to both of them to try get a specific answer from each one.

Please, keep me updated on your case and if necessary, you can contact me here whenever.

If you need more info or have any other questions, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This reply was just as unhelpful as the Spotify customer support to which you suggested I reach out. I am trying to rectify things through my credit card company at this point (where you can actually speak to a human being on the phone) because I am tired of the pointless responses I've received from Spotify. 

If your company is able to fraudulantly take money from its customers on a recurring monthly basis, don't you think it is fair to have a customer support line where these things can be corrected quickly? I do. If this is not fixed soon, I am cancelling based purely on the lack of customer support this company provides. 

Hey @mrb06004.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Reach out to Apple and you should be able to get your money back. What has happened here is that Apple has been receiving your 12.99 per month but hasn't arranged a Premium subscription for you. Instead you've been paying an extra 9.99 per month for your own Premium subscription.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Apple has not been the problem in this situation; Spotify has been the problem. Apple has tried to help me, has given me money back, has apologized, and has given me free movie rentals as a way of making up for the headache this situation has caused.

What has Spotify done to help? Nothing. Spotify told me they “understand how hard it is to manage finances these days”, argued with me over chat without offering any assistance, and ignored me when I submitted screenshots showing evidence of the redundant billing. 

I’ve  already cancelled my Spotify subscription and signed up for Apple Music. At least I know moving forward if I have any problems, Apple is more than willing to help and can easily be reached via telephone. Spotify has proven to have no interest in helping its customers.

Marked as solution

Hey @mrb06004.

Thanks for getting back to us with an update on your situation.

Firstly, I just wanted to apologise that your experience with our Customer Support team didn't meet your expectations. We'll make sure to pass on your feedback.

Just to clarify: usually, if a customer is double charged, they can be refunded for the time during which they have been double charged.

However, if one of the payments is handled by a third party, such as is the case here, then unfortunately we can't refund it: it's up to the third party - in this case Apple - to refund you for those payments.

Hope that clears things up! We're glad to hear that Apple were able to refund you and that everything worked out 🙂 

Let us know if you have any further questions about this - we'll be right here.

Hi! The same thing has happened to me and I just realized it today. I have iTunes bills for 12.99/month and Spotify charges for 10.49/month (9.99 + tax, I believe). I was wondering if you have any advice for how to fix this. I attempted to cancel the iTunes subscription and believe it's gone through, but obviously I'd like to get at least some of my money back. Thanks.

Hey! I’m so sorry you also have to deal with this, because I can tell you it has been very annoying. My credit card company has been the most helpful in getting some of the money back, so I would suggest working with yours because they should be on your side. Apple refunded one month and gave me some free movie rentals. They were also easier to deal with because you can speak to someone on the phone. 

As as far as Spotify goes...I am no longer a customer. Their customer service was atrocious, and I wasted so much time trying to get my money back only to be insulted in the process. I even submitted screenshots of the double-billing, and they refused to help....and it was their fault!! If you read more of these threads you will find that many customers have had similar issues, and Spotify is terrible to deal with. The chat feature is a huge waste of time and based on the responses I’ve received here, you can see this avenue also didn’t help. Please let me know if you have better luck, but I suspect you’ll have the same experience I did. 

My god! I just noticed I have been double charged as well since Feb 2017! This is so not ok! Where is the communication between these two companies? I have emailed Apple and I will call my bank tomorrow. Spotify I am very disappointed in you 😞  

Hey, @fzashni @Katee22 

As said on the other replies, what is happening here is that Apple is charging you, but hasn't arranged a Premium subscription for you. As suggested above, you need to reach out to Apple Customer Support and Spotify Customer Support as well to find the best solution for your case. I can ensure that you will be refunded by Spotify if they (Spotify) are wrong in this case. 

If possible, I'd like to ask you to keep us in the loop!

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi Hezorg

I have contacted apple and I am waiting to hear back. I have had a close look at both my accounts and I have been charged by spotify and apple for the one product since May 2015. Apple have charged me at the higher rate of $14.99 since 13 May 2015 and spotify have charged me a vary number since 12 May 2015. I assume that I was meant to be charged through spotify only (and not apple). If so, I have been overcharged $839.44. I will reach out to Spotify help/support as well. 

Cheers,

Faz

I have the same issue, get billed twice per month for the premium membership. Where do I go to get it refunded? Ist’s been over a year.

Hey there @MirjamPouwe,

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community. We will help you with your charges.

We'd suggest for you to click here and contact our support. The folks there can check the charges and give you more information about them.

If you have questions, we are here for you.

Stay safe!

PetyaModerator

I have been charged for two years for a cancelled account while I was paying for another premium account. That's almost $200 in excess fees. I chatted with Spotify and they were no help.

Suggested posts