Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Free Trial what happens when it's over?

Solved!

Free Trial what happens when it's over?

Hello Spotify,
People may have asked you the same question, but I need a full understandment. I've just downloaded the Spotify app on my iPod and I got the 48 hour free trial plan. Now, what would exactly happen once the free trial is over? Will I still be able to listen to Spotify on my iPod or will the app automatically shut down? Will I also be charged if I don't cancel my free trial before the 48 hours? Now, I guess I should also say that I have a Spotify free account on my computer without this app.

Thanks for your moment!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi Vannah_Banana- Welcome to the Community! Let's see if we can help clarify our trial options for you. 

First of all, you won't be able to continue to stream music or sync offline playlists on your iPod once your 48 hour trial is over today. A Premium subscription/ trial is needed to use Spotify on an iPod or mobile device. 

Also, I can assure you that you won't be charged when the trial ends. Your account will simply revert back to our Free subscription.

However, you will receive an email offering to extend the trial by another 30 days. If you chose to extend the trial you will be charged at the end of those 30 days unless you cancel beforehand. The Premium subscription will then continue with rolling payments each month. 

I hope this clears things up a bit--let me know if there's aything else I can help with. 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@Maya-US - Your account will revert to Spotify free and you will loose access to any premium/unlimited features but you are free to continue to listen to your playlists on the free service. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

Hey @ShadowLeader,

Once your free trial ends, your playlists and music remain to be streamed, but not while you're offline .

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Marked as solution

Hey @ahernandez5848

When your account goes back to Free, you'll lose all downloaded content in your devices.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Marked as solution

Hey @andykin30A

Yes,you can login to the website to check the status of your subscription. In there you'll know until when you will have Premium status, and cancel if you want to.

Once canceled, you'll still be on Premium for the remainder of the time you've paid for, and after that it will revert back to Free. You won't lose any playlists, friends, or your music library, as long as you keep using the same username you've been using. Those are independent from your subscription status.

Once you're subscription ends, you can change your country to England and your settings should go back to english.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star

152 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi Vannah_Banana- Welcome to the Community! Let's see if we can help clarify our trial options for you. 

First of all, you won't be able to continue to stream music or sync offline playlists on your iPod once your 48 hour trial is over today. A Premium subscription/ trial is needed to use Spotify on an iPod or mobile device. 

Also, I can assure you that you won't be charged when the trial ends. Your account will simply revert back to our Free subscription.

However, you will receive an email offering to extend the trial by another 30 days. If you chose to extend the trial you will be charged at the end of those 30 days unless you cancel beforehand. The Premium subscription will then continue with rolling payments each month. 

I hope this clears things up a bit--let me know if there's aything else I can help with. 

Meredith, Awesome! That was just the information I was looking for. It did help! Thanks!!

Moved to Accounts forum as this is not an Idea!
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

So what do u mean by revert like as in order to play offline music ill have to end up paying to play it correct

Hi Jwest25,

Yes.  You would only be able to use Spotify for streaming on Desktop/Laptop computers.  You would have to pay to use Spotify offline.

HI, I have diownloaded the 48 hour free trail and have added a number fo albums to my playlist which are great, however am I getting charged from my service provider for adding these albums to my playlist?? I though as it was a FREE TRIAL It would all be free until I decided to upgrade to premium??

How come you have my debit card details?? I just got a charge of 9,99€ in my debit card and I have never downloaded it or even used it in another computer or system, I have just created the account to be able to contact you as you don't have a direct customer service. Please look into this problem and give me a solution!! (Snip - Moderator). Thank You

shaleesa - Downloading the playlists over 3G could run up the cost of your data allowance.

All payments for Spotify are made directly through us, not through your service provider - I can't locate any payments directly to us, so it could be worthwhile contacting them.

angels89 - I couldn't seem to locate a payment for your account at all. Could you email into our Contact Form at all? Just click on "About Us" above and then select Contact Form. I've also removed your email address and phone number from your post, to prevent any wouldbe prank callers. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Does anyone know whats happens when at the start of the trial its asks for your Facebook login,  no. I've got the 48hr trial but  after that all the music I've downloaded will I be able to listen to them? I don't care if Im Not able lot download 

THEY DON'T LET YOU CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION AND CHARGE YOU $9.99 A MONTH.  Scam artists.

Well ok I have a two day trail (48hrs) quite crap!! But nvm

hey um im having some trouble with it on my android tablet it says that only spotify premium users can stream on demand on mobile radio is always free.

i have a question ....i have the free trial and i got all my songs i got  like 500ish...what heppens when my trial runs out/mainly if i buy it will i get my music back or will it be all gone?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Your playlists will remain on your account no matter what subscription plan you are on. However, if you have offline playlists as part of your premium trial, you will loose access to those offline if your premium ends. 

Peter

Peter

What exactly do you mean when you say The Premium subscription will then continue with rolling payments each month, does it mean that's a bill you have to pay?

@GabyTomlinson wrote:

What exactly do you mean when you say The Premium subscription will then continue with rolling payments each month, does it mean that's a bill you have to pay?

The 30 day free premium trial is the start of a monthly rolling subscription, with the first month free. If you do not cancel your subscription from your online account before the 30th day of your trial, then you will be billed for the next month, and every subsequent month after that until you cancel. You can cancel the trial at any time, and you will still be able to use all your free premium days before your account reverts to free after the first month is over. 

Peter

Peter

Hi!

Well i got a problem...

I got Spotify Free when i look and my account information BUT. Now on my spotify it shows that my 10 hours is over? and i have to pay to keep listening? Isn't spotify free available for listening to music.. for free???

What should i do so i can get rid of this 10 hours over thing? please answer!

Hi jhirim - After having a Spotify account for 6 months, some limitations will start to apply. We list them in full over on our FAQ, right here.

Suggested posts